You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
We don't deal with Transition, hardly buy anything off of the distro. I asked the rep and he said he needed to check with the nearest dealer - he did and they gave me stockist rates.

Ooof.

We barely buy anything from Windwave, but i'll try transition too.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:
We don't deal with Transition, hardly buy anything off of the distro. I asked the rep and he said he needed to check with the nearest dealer - he did and they gave me stockist rates.

Ooof.

We barely buy anything from Windwave, but i'll try transition too.

Probably a bit late but hey.

Dan Jones is your guy at Windwave for transition. I staff'd a Patrol a few years back, but they ended up not being particularly forthcoming about it- especially when i broke it twice.

Then they wouldn't let me staff a BLT a couple of years later... So...

Orange can be OK but depends on your shop. If you have a dealer nearby its a no-go. Best to ask your local dealer if your shop and them are friendly.

Iv'e had 2x orange frames from my local dealer at cost. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
Transition used to be super forthcoming with staff deals and I think some dealers must’ve complained as now it seems they’re still doing it, but through the nearest dealer. Have had two industry folk buy them as a staff deal but the supplier contacts me first now and asks if it’s cool and then runs the sale through me. They still get a staff deal but then there is at least some transparency.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 2:50 Quote
Laaast question.

(Perhaps)

Anyone done any shopratting in Whistler? Or is there anyone in here working in Whistler?

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Laaast question.

(Perhaps)

Anyone done any shopratting in Whistler? Or is there anyone in here working in Whistler?

What info are you looking for?

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
adrock-whistler wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
Laaast question.

(Perhaps)

Everyone I've spoken to has shouted 'do it' at me. Is it worth doing a season? It's a lot more expensive than France.

Also what are the shops looking for? I've been in the industry for 6 years, is experience usually enough go carry you into a role?

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
adrock-whistler wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
Laaast question.

(Perhaps)

Everyone I've spoken to has shouted 'do it' at me. Is it worth doing a season? It's a lot more expensive than France.

Also what are the shops looking for? I've been in the industry for 6 years, is experience usually enough go carry you into a role?

I don't have experience, but try asking in the Whistler thread for more responses.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
adrock-whistler wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
Laaast question.

(Perhaps)

If you've been a mechanic or have 6 years retail/shop experience, finding a job won't be an issue. Starting pay rates aren't that great, maybe $15-16/hour. Some shops pay commission on repairs so when you're busy you can bump up that hourly rate an extra $5-10/hour or more. If you work for Whistler/Blackcomb, you'll get a bike park pass for free.

The biggest issue is finding a place to live. Choices are sparse and it's getting ridiculously expensive. I'm not in the rental market but I've heard it can be common to pay $1000/month for a shared room. Van life is getting way more common these days; it's easier in the summer but the municipality isn't that welcoming. Finding permanent parking is tricky so be prepared to be on the move often.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011825
Mobile Version of Website