You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 17:35 Quote
alythcyclery wrote:
sherbet wrote:
"The bike is not legally ready for collection until the invoice is paid. You may go to small claims court to have a judge grant you access to the shop, but as of this discussion, you are not welcome on the property, and will be fined and trespassed if you arrive."

See I don't quite know how this is in Scotland, access is a little less of a common conversation piece.

If you're right though, that's absolutely spot on.

His daughter ended up paying it and asked me not to tell him if he called. Bloody embarrassing. I hope one day he's a full on grown up.

Well, there's hope for the future if his daughter's a decent human being in spite of being raised by him.

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 9:18 Quote
How are you guys feeling about this year?

Interesting few years for us, last year was quiet compared to even pre-covid.

Everyone seems pretty overstocked, I have a weird feeling that it'll be a year of discount culture.

Edit: I'm kinda off topic, reckon there's space for an industry thread? If so i'll start it!

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:09 Quote
alythcyclery wrote:
How are you guys feeling about this year?

Interesting few years for us, last year was quiet compared to even pre-covid.

Everyone seems pretty overstocked, I have a weird feeling that it'll be a year of discount culture.

Edit: I'm kinda off topic, reckon there's space for an industry thread? If so i'll start it!

W've slowed a little this season, but we're still busier than we were prior to covid, but I think that is mostly because two of the shops nearby us closed during covid, and one of the shops that is open is still not lettng people in the door, bringing items out front and ringing them up there Confused which I do not understand. They also stopped taking in service on new customer's bikes or bikes they did not sell. Confusing strategy that seems pretty bad... but it has been good for us tup Been a windfall of new customers that are just happy that we are here and letting people in the door.

We're actually about to expand into a location more than twice the size of our current shop.

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 6:08 Quote
'23 is going to be a rough year for the independents in the industry. Stock full of low margin inventory, and shop brands moving discounts to their direct to consumer portal is rough on them. Lots of used inventory flooding the market from folks who didnt stick with it after the pandemic, and the general return to normal life will pull peoples funds into use for vacations and dinner out where they didnt before, all coupled with the US economy on a downturn, and inflation skyrocketing.

We'll see some shops close this year or sell out to corporate, unfortunately, the shops that make it will the shops that go the extra step to connect with community, doing value-add events and connections, all somehow without adding to their overhead.

The shop I was at for 14 years just sold to Trek at the end of '22, and the owners made out very well, and are comfortable now. I just moved to what was our closest competitor for 25 years haha, still feels odd sometimes, but it's the only shop i've ever worked at, so learning a new way and perspective is good. Great group of people at the new shop.

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 7:45 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
'23 is going to be a rough year for the independents in the industry. Stock full of low margin inventory, and shop brands moving discounts to their direct to consumer portal is rough on them. Lots of used inventory flooding the market from folks who didnt stick with it after the pandemic, and the general return to normal life will pull peoples funds into use for vacations and dinner out where they didnt before, all coupled with the US economy on a downturn, and inflation skyrocketing.

We'll see some shops close this year or sell out to corporate, unfortunately, the shops that make it will the shops that go the extra step to connect with community, doing value-add events and connections, all somehow without adding to their overhead.

The shop I was at for 14 years just sold to Trek at the end of '22, and the owners made out very well, and are comfortable now. I just moved to what was our closest competitor for 25 years haha, still feels odd sometimes, but it's the only shop i've ever worked at, so learning a new way and perspective is good. Great group of people at the new shop.

There's no way to say it without sounding awful- When things are already tight and you're not earning much- it's a bit painful spending an extra 3hrs at the shop doing that sort of thing. I totally agree with you though. We do that as much as we can.

Anyone explored coaching as an add on? Road clubs are pretty common, seems much rarer to have a mtb club.

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 8:10 Quote
Yea, but that's a lot of overhead, getting someone certified and paying them to hold sessions, rent the space for it, etc...

I really hope the industry as a whole grows this year. Still need more butts on bikes.

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 8:11 Quote
free

edit: why's it take 3 posts to create a new page now?

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 11:56 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
free

What do you mean?

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 12:07 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
free

did that to me too. brought me back to an old page like some of the other broken threads.

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 at 5:35 Quote
Do any mechanics here have experience/thoughts on reusing old spoke nipples with new spokes?

I'm giving some wheels a birthday with new rims and spokes. The nipples that are on there still seem in good condition – no rounding and I'm yet to break one.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2023 at 6:49 Quote
MuleMad wrote:
Do any mechanics here have experience/thoughts on reusing old spoke nipples with new spokes?

I'm giving some wheels a birthday with new rims and spokes. The nipples that are on there still seem in good condition – no rounding and I'm yet to break one.

Nipples are relatively cheap, why stop there if you're already investing in a new rim and spokes? Always new nipples for me.

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 at 8:32 Quote
MuleMad wrote:

You came in through the wrong door; this is the employees-only entrance.

Try the Mechanics' quick question thread.

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 at 14:36 Quote
"Do any mechanics here have experience/thoughts on reusing old spoke nipples with new spokes?

I'm giving some wheels a birthday with new rims and spokes. The nipples that are on there still seem in good condition – no rounding and I'm yet to break one. "

Thought I was cheap : )
New rims, new spokes then why cheap out on the nipples ?

Metal moves around inside under loads, torque, temperatures etc all this movement
adds fatigue over time, it can still look pretty on the outside but you wont see whats happening
on the inside, you will when it fails, so you may find yourself replacing some nipples after your
lovely new wheel build and the downtime that might bring, generally do it right from the off
and be done with it.

Posted: Jun 28, 2023 at 15:33 Quote
MuleMad wrote:

Flat policy for us: nipples get replaced with spokes. No point guessing if they're okay or not.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.032454
Mobile Version of Website