You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 23:05 Quote
Thats the way shops should be run. Our service area is behind a wall. Our job is do tickets, not answer phones or help customers. It's way more efficiant

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 23:45 Quote
Working behind a wall is bad. I think the shop should be open for the customers to see what's going on. I know it can be a pain sometimes but in most cases it's a better setup.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 23:47 Quote
Thats why you have a counter and behind that is a wall with the top half open to you can see whats going on like in one shop I go to which is limited on space. Or you can have a divider wall and the shop are in its own big space on one side of the shop and the register elsewhere. That works really well at the other shop I go to.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 0:16 Quote
killsdeer4fun wrote:
Thats why you have a counter and behind that is a wall with the top half open to you can see whats going on like in one shop I go to which is limited on space. Or you can have a divider wall and the shop are in its own big space on one side of the shop and the register elsewhere. That works really well at the other shop I go to.

at my lbs(cant get a job cuz of a crowded aplicant list cause its a popular position) you can like see half the shop area and they have a bike stand right there for quick stuff but for tuneups etc they have another room (idk whats in it just a bunch of bikes) and around the corner which i cant see what happens.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 0:54 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Working behind a wall is bad. I think the shop should be open for the customers to see what's going on. I know it can be a pain sometimes but in most cases it's a better setup.
speaking as one who has worked in both setups, a divider (or in my case, a separate floor) for the mechanics station is a far superior system. A single stand on the floor for minor jobs works well for flat repairs/on-the-spot fixes, but a full mechanics area with less customer-distractions aids productivity immensely.
Try re-building a fork, selling a mountain bike and helping someone with a tri-suit at the same time. Not so easy.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
sk8kid33 wrote:
Thats the way shops should be run. Our service area is behind a wall. Our job is do tickets, not answer phones or help customers. It's way more efficiant

We have both. We have 4 stands upstairs with 4-5 service guys for doing on the fly/ out the doors, and then basement we got 6 or so monkey doing work orders. Just churning out the work orders.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
dkidd wrote:
singlespeedtoday wrote:
speaking as one who has worked in both setups, a divider (or in my case, a separate floor) for the mechanics station is a far superior system. A single stand on the floor for minor jobs works well for flat repairs/on-the-spot fixes, but a full mechanics area with less customer-distractions aids productivity immensely.
Try re-building a fork, selling a mountain bike and helping someone with a tri-suit at the same time. Not so easy.

We do have a low divider but part of it is open. We also have sales people that handle most customers buying things we mainly just deal with customers that need things done to their bike. I guess the size of the shop and number of customers plays a big part in the setup though.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
ethier wrote:
stprider16 wrote:
ethier wrote:
any of you boys ever been to full cycles? they are super chill and definetly know there stuff..check them out any chance you get
wheres the store located??
they are located on st laurent blvd
that's funny I live in colorado and we have two shops in Boulder named Full Cycle

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
SOme of these shops are lucky. We have one mechanic... me. I try to build complete work orders and do stuff for people when they bring it in.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
samnation wrote:
SOme of these shops are lucky. We have one mechanic... me. I try to build complete work orders and do stuff for people when they bring it in.

we have owner who cant do bike service at all, our ski guy who is just hanging on untill he can find another job and who is selling stuff, manager who mostly supervises everything and stays on the salesfloor, me and one other guy for all bike service, and the new girl who is still learning the basics. and we all have to go help customers too when ever any of them come in. and some nights its only 2 of us in and it gets super busy and were just swamped

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
bonfire wrote:
sk8kid33 wrote:

We have both. We have 4 stands upstairs with 4-5 service guys for doing on the fly/ out the doors, and then basement we got 6 or so monkey doing work orders. Just churning out the work orders.

you guys got a crazy set up. braden always scares me. he dissapears behind the desk and pops up behind me.hahaha. i know what to expect now though. do you guys only bring the bikes up that way?

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
samnation wrote:

we have owner who cant do bike service at all, our ski guy who is just hanging on untill he can find another job and who is selling stuff, manager who mostly supervises everything and stays on the salesfloor, me and one other guy for all bike service, and the new girl who is still learning the basics. and we all have to go help customers too when ever any of them come in. and some nights its only 2 of us in and it gets super busy and were just swamped
Yeah we have 2 shops a Ski/kayak shop and a bikeshop. 3 employees so as soon as there is 3 people on the sales floor I am out of the "pit" to sell.

makes for a lot of late nights. 2am late.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 21:30 Quote
samnation wrote:
stprider16 wrote:
samnation wrote:

Yeah we have 2 shops a Ski/kayak shop and a bikeshop. 3 employees so as soon as there is 3 people on the sales floor I am out of the "pit" to sell.

makes for a lot of late nights. 2am late.

ive had quite a few longs days like that, usually its when we close at 6 and i'm there till 9 or 10 those days suck since i cant chill with anybody after.

and ykywiabsw you know the best spots to test ride bikes, i know this sick sloped parkinglot with a bunch of big speedbumps i want to make a little kicker off to the side off the grass so when i take the nice bikes out i can have some fun:P

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
bonfire wrote:
sk8kid33 wrote:

thats how we run it, we have a few stands out on the floor where we have our "aprons" checking in bikes and doing quick repairs, then 4 wrenches in back bustin them out. I also think its bad to let customers see some repairs, you end up gettin the "I paid $20 for something you fixed with a hammer!?"

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 15:11 Quote
yeah i agree, or having to bend shit, beat shit, being persuasive in general.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019901
Mobile Version of Website