cool back suspension design

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
cool back suspension design
Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
Anyone ridden anything like this... please raise your hand?! Surely this is just badger baiting if you haven't ridden anything like it... especially from another british user. God, sometimes I hate being british when muppets like that show us up as a nation.

Anyways, I'd hazzard a guess that the damping must be pretty good, not quite 2stage good, but I'd be interested in trying something like that. rightly so it wasn't a great hit for Marin(?) with the manitou forks on the rear, however with a traditional rear shock and fork setup you may just be onto something for heavy duty use. But, the proof of the pudding is in this case in the riding and I don't see anyone here that has ridden one... only the 'livid and ill informed' contingient mouthing off their various opinions like a bunch of kids, with one or two insightful quotes from people over the mental age of 12 years old.

We're probably right when we say that it must be heavy, but DH'rs are heavy for a purpose and with good reason- lighten the bike too much and you lose gyroscopic stability- great for XC and trials but pretty poo for DH. So, does weight really matter that much when you're headed down a hill? In my experience... not really.

To all of the 'neysayyers' -its things like this that push the scene forwards and you should already know that! Failure or not, it's still worth looking at as it could eventually end up informing a new type of purpose build shock design.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
[Quote="davemunk"]Anyone ridden anything like this... please raise your hand?! Surely this is just badger baiting if you haven't ridden anything like it... especially from another british user. God, sometimes I hate being british when muppets like that show us up as a nation.

are you refering to me.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
davemunk wrote:
Anyone ridden anything like this... please raise your hand?! Surely this is just badger baiting if you haven't ridden anything like it... especially from another british user. God, sometimes I hate being british when muppets like that show us up as a nation.

Anyways, I'd hazzard a guess that the damping must be pretty good, not quite 2stage good, but I'd be interested in trying something like that. rightly so it wasn't a great hit for Marin(?) with the manitou forks on the rear, however with a traditional rear shock and fork setup you may just be onto something for heavy duty use. But, the proof of the pudding is in this case in the riding and I don't see anyone here that has ridden one... only the 'livid and ill informed' contingient mouthing off their various opinions like a bunch of kids, with one or two insightful quotes from people over the mental age of 12 years old.

We're probably right when we say that it must be heavy, but DH'rs are heavy for a purpose and with good reason- lighten the bike too much and you lose gyroscopic stability- great for XC and trials but pretty poo for DH. So, does weight really matter that much when you're headed down a hill? In my experience... not really.

To all of the 'neysayyers' -its things like this that push the scene forwards and you should already know that! Failure or not, it's still worth looking at as it could eventually end up informing a new type of purpose build shock design.
gyroscopic stability is a natural characteristic of a wheel. wieght in this area of the bike slows it down and is hard to increase speed rapidly. hence why dh'ers use lighter wheels

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
benbo111 wrote:
ezekiel82 wrote:
Mingermouse wrote:
cos ppl would actually buy that bike? Razz

Its called innovation, if you look at the history of the bicycle there have been way more designs that have failed than succeeded. When it comes to being innovative, you simply put it out there and see if it floats. If it weren't for the companies that stepped out on a limb and made "stupid" designs, who knows where we would be in technology.

well that pretty much sums it up... who nows where our sport would be without people and companies willing to put something new into the mix...

think of the honda bike, long travel hardtails,24" dj bikes, josh bender, all of these things are pretty rad and work good.

i like pie

Yeah what would've happened if nobody decided to invent Pie.... we'd be stuck ALWAYS eating cake, which is okay but without the option we wouldn't even know that sometimes Pie is a nice break from cake.., ohhh sweet jesus, Dont even get me started on pancake's.... Lemmie tell ya.

Posted: Jul 7, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
Mingermouse wrote:
But it's a fork!!

it's designed for the FRONT of a bike

lol this is one people like you will never do anything GREAT in terms of inventing, your to busy slamming everyone elses designs and ideas to go out and try making your own

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 0:20 Quote
makripper wrote:
gyroscopic stability is a natural characteristic of a wheel. wieght in this area of the bike slows it down and is hard to increase speed rapidly. hence why dh'ers use lighter wheels

Oh well... you live and learn!

marquis wrote:

are you refering to me.

Nope!

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 0:37 Quote
early morning Tuesday blues at work and this what i have come up with. the characteristics of DW or VPP with the simplicity of a Single Pivot. And not that Yeti Rail System (can't believe they did that anyway but the bike lives).

just sketching my idea i have realized you will at least need two pivots and some clever leverage action and one very capable shock.

any comments on the theory at hand or should i just leave it as b.c. (before coffee) brain farts

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 2:12 Quote
i think people forget,the time before dw and vpp and all this jargon about virtual wheel paths,that the basic principal is for the wheel to move up and out of the way of an object,no matter what design you use its still the same principal.

just nowadays we have better technology and mfg trying to out do each other.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 17:07 Quote
[Quote="davemunk"]
makripper wrote:

Oh well... you live and learn!

and how! but the wieght thingy u said is right. (general wieght of the bike) harder to movea around and control. oops laptop bat's dying, later!

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 7:31 Quote
Mingermouse wrote:
LOL

FORKS ARE DESIGNED FOR THE FRONT OF A BIKE

WAT THE HELL IS IT GONNA DO PUTTIN THEM ON THE BACK???

STUPID THREAD, DELETE IT
This is the frame he's refering too. It was WAY before your time.

http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/manitou/116_1689.JPG

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
wow, that's pretty funny lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
Mingermouse wrote:
You said forks are made for the front of the bike...

Who made the rule that fork were made for the front of the bike?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 13:48 Quote
t3aSeR wrote:
Mingermouse wrote:
You said forks are made for the front of the bike...

Who made the rule that fork were made for the front of the bike?

haha yea, who?

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 13:50 Quote
God himself

jokin, i was goin a bit crazy before, i just think that if forks where any good onthe back of a bike, it would have caught on by now

Posted: Jul 29, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
In theory it should have worked really well- just think how easy it would have been for servicing to have the same forks front and rear. It's a real shame it never worked as well as it could have done or really caught on that well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024793
Mobile Version of Website