Is there such thing as a carbon dirt jumper

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is there such thing as a carbon dirt jumper
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
i was just wondering DJ's want thier bikes light, so is there a carbon Dj

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
personally i dont think a carbon dirt jumper would have the rigidity to hold up to jumping. i could be wrong though

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
gibson243 wrote:
personally i dont think a carbon dirt jumper would have the rigidity to hold up to jumping. i could be wrong though
Isn't carbon stonger then steel tho, if they put a bunch of layers on it

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
carbon is brittle so if its put upder alot of pressure then it will snap.

you do mean carbon fibre right? because carbon in a giant covelent structure is in the form of graphite which is used in pencils and easy to break and the other form is diamond, you can probobly wonder why that isnt used....

tup

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:29 Quote
StevePrice wrote:

you do mean carbon fibre right? because carbon in a giant covelent structure is in the form of graphite which is used in pencils and easy to break and the other form is diamond, you can probobly wonder why that isnt used....

tup
yea i ment carbon fibre....isnt that stuff really really strong tho????

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
it is really strong but only in small parts, jumping causes pressure on the frame and carbon fibre most likely wont be able to handle that pressure like aluminum or steel can

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
mattrox wrote:
StevePrice wrote:

tup
yea i ment carbon fibre....isnt that stuff really really strong tho????

not really no, its used in XC stuff because its more benefitial to have it lighter then for strength because XC guys dont exacly throw themselves off big cliffs

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
Nor do dirt jumpers, like im talking about dirtjumping and stret riding not north shore things

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 10:35 Quote
people arnt that big of a weight weenie. I hope they arnt.
i wouldnt trust it.

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 11:35 Quote
mattrox wrote:
Nor do dirt jumpers, like im talking about dirtjumping and stret riding not north shore things

its normal for dirt jumpers to get 10 feet of air, also dj forks are hard

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
Crabon flexes and cracks really easily watch a professional hocky game those sticks are carbon fibre and they break at least 2 a game, hell I'm a scrony 18 yearold and I can shoot hard enough to break those sticks.

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 14:14 Quote
the jury is out on carbon fibre to some degree

in terms of engineering and lab testing it outlasts all other materials by many times, if you look at Easton's CNT handlebars they claim they are about 10X stronger than their best alloy bar the EA-70

however, if the CNT bar gets a deep scratch, it will tend to fail suddenly (this is called notch sensitivty, as you get with glass if you put a groove in it)

so in the real world of shuttling bikes, uplifts, crashes and slams, carbon is maybe not the ideal material

the biggest problem is cost...DJ riders are usually on a tight budget and won't spend a huge amount on their frame

here in the UK, you can pick up a cromoly steel DMR DJ frame for around GBP£250, most carbon fibre Xc frames are around £900+.....

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
Something like the Scott Ransom has to be taken into consideration in this argument, it was the first bike which used carbon fibre for it's STRENGTH and not it's weight, i think that says something about it... But don't know if such a high impact like on a DJ bike would brake a CF frame? Ride smooth?

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 17:56 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

in terms of engineering and lab testing it outlasts all other materials by many times, if you look at Easton's CNT handlebars they claim they are about 10X stronger than their best alloy bar the EA-70

however, if the CNT bar gets a deep scratch, it will tend to fail suddenly (this is called notch sensitivty, as you get with glass if you put a groove in it)

so in the real world of shuttling bikes, uplifts, crashes and slams, carbon is maybe not the ideal material

the biggest problem is cost...DJ riders are usually on a tight budget and won't spend a huge amount on their frame

here in the UK, you can pick up a cromoly steel DMR DJ frame for around GBP£250, most carbon fibre Xc frames are around £900+.....

Not to make this seem unrealated but I have an easton CNT (carbon-nanotube-technology) blade in my hockey stick and the scratches turn to cracks really fast I'd imagine it would be the same with the bars.

Posted: Jun 21, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
samnation wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

Not to make this seem unrealated but I have an easton CNT (carbon-nanotube-technology) blade in my hockey stick and the scratches turn to cracks really fast I'd imagine it would be the same with the bars.

don't carbon nanotubes cause cancer?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009767
Mobile Version of Website