WD-40

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
what does wd40 do to your forks?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
Its not to be used on forks...It will damage the seals...Just used normal warm water to clean the outside then if you can have a tech pop the seals and use a proper fork oil that is synthetic based to lube it.....One product that i use on older forks is a synthetic gear oil to lube the seal felts it also takes up some of the space between the DU bushings and the fork tube. Usually a 90W will work. But WD40 is a no no. Remember to change fork oil every 100h to keep your fork at top shape.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:43 Quote
element22 wrote:
Its not to be used on forks...It will damage the seals...Just used normal warm water to clean the outside then if you can have a tech pop the seals and use a proper fork oil that is synthetic based to lube it.....One product that i use on older forks is a synthetic gear oil to lube the seal felts it also takes up some of the space between the DU bushings and the fork tube. Usually a 90W will work. But WD40 is a no no. Remember to change fork oil every 100h to keep your fork at top shape.

iv put it on once, will that matter?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
24SEVENCHRISG wrote:
element22 wrote:

It shouldnt do any major damage. But stay away from WD-40. People dont realize that WD-40 is a DEGREASER. It is not a lube, and bikes do not like it. WD-40 is a rust preventitive and is good to free stuck parts. Use WD on your garden tools, but keep it away from your bike

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
everytime wd-40 gets mentioned on a bike website, bunnies turn to stone

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
kev211 wrote:
24SEVENCHRISG wrote:
element22 wrote:

It shouldnt do any major damage. But stay away from WD-40. People dont realize that WD-40 is a DEGREASER. It is not a lube, and bikes do not like it. WD-40 is a rust preventitive and is good to free stuck parts. Use WD on your garden tools, but keep it away from your bike

ok thanks man, what would be the best thing to lube my forks then?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
bomberdave wrote:
everytime wd-40 gets mentioned on a bike website, bunnies turn to stone

unfortunate for the bunnies

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
24SEVENCHRISG wrote:
kev211 wrote:
24SEVENCHRISG wrote:

most kinds of chain lube are good to use. I use tri-flow to moisten my seals. Also, pro-link works well too

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
kev211 wrote:
24SEVENCHRISG wrote:
kev211 wrote:

most kinds of chain lube are good to use. I use tri-flow to moisten my seals. Also, pro-link works well too
will there be anithin in like a regular garage what i can find and use, can it be somethin that ses lubericant on it? lol

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
hey um. i am just wondering. i use engine oil as grease for my chain is that bad.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 16:59 Quote
I get tired of the quote pyramids. In answer to your question... Probably not. I dont know your garage, but it would be more worth it for you to go to your LBS and buy some than risk it with some sh*t lube you found in the cabinet

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
crazy-like-a-fox wrote:
hey um. i am just wondering. i use engine oil as grease for my chain is that bad.

its not the best idea. I wouldnt use it... It will save you a lot of money to buy a 5 dollar bottle of lube.

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
kev211 wrote:
crazy-like-a-fox wrote:

its not the best idea. I wouldnt use it... It will save you a lot of money to buy a 5 dollar bottle of lube.
why?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
kev211 wrote:
I get tired of the quote pyramids. In answer to your question... Probably not. I dont know your garage, but it would be more worth it for you to go to your LBS and buy some than risk it with some sh*t lube you found in the cabinet

ok thanks

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 17:03 Quote
Make sure what ever you use it is synthetic only otherwise the oil will react with the seal and ruin them....Like i said before either use the stuff that rockshox or fox have or visit your local parts store and get 100% synthetic fluid if its for the seals use something thick. It lasts longer and will keep the sliding parts apart from themselves

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013412
Mobile Version of Website