Post your snapped forks!!!!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Post your snapped forks!!!!
Author Message
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 8:14 Quote
something alot of people seem to fail to relized is that the forks are ment for dirt jumpping are undergoing alot of repeated stresses andafter awhile they will break. if you acualy think about how much stress is being put on the fork from coming up short on a jump, or bailing and stuff like that there are going to be parts where the stress finaly snaps

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Props on getting your pic in a mag!
Thanks!! It's actually a poster that my sponsor, dirtydogmtb made. They were handing it out at sea otter lol. I had no clue til my friends came up and showed me ha.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
jonmiller wrote:
something alot of people seem to fail to relized is that the forks are ment for dirt jumpping are undergoing alot of repeated stresses andafter awhile they will break. if you acualy think about how much stress is being put on the fork from coming up short on a jump, or bailing and stuff like that there are going to be parts where the stress finaly snaps

Well they shouldn't!
I'm fairly impressed with my pikes, I've had numerous cases where I would've thought the fork would rake out and snap, but it didn't, and one particularly bad OTB nose case due to flat right before take off (damn small block 8s!) and it was fine!. Can't say the same for my 66s..

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
2436305

2436305

my buddy snapped this one on a rental bike. he hit like a 5 foot drop and the stantion cracked off.. and i also heard a story about a guy who was riding in a skate park, landed and the spring shot out and barely missed his head.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
mstokman wrote:
2436305

2436305

my buddy snapped this one on a rental bike. he hit like a 5 foot drop and the stantion cracked off.. and i also heard a story about a guy who was riding in a skate park, landed and the spring shot out and barely missed his head.
YES! 66 fail! I'm going to start a club. We attack marzocchi at dawn!

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
suicidedownhiller wrote:
jonmiller wrote:
something alot of people seem to fail to relized is that the forks are ment for dirt jumpping are undergoing alot of repeated stresses andafter awhile they will break. if you acualy think about how much stress is being put on the fork from coming up short on a jump, or bailing and stuff like that there are going to be parts where the stress finaly snaps

Well they shouldn't!
I'm fairly impressed with my pikes, I've had numerous cases where I would've thought the fork would rake out and snap, but it didn't, and one particularly bad OTB nose case due to flat right before take off (damn small block 8s!) and it was fine!. Can't say the same for my 66s..
forks arn't desighned to snap thats not what im saying. over time as diffrent stresses are applied aomwthing is probly going to break. think about how much force is applied when you jump. there is quite abit.crashes also. there are alot of forces at play there. after a while something will eventualy give when to much force is applied. an easy example is a paper clip it can be bent back and forth and after a while its going to break. now forks are stronger but its the same princeple. metal is not indestructible. it also dose not stay completely straight when force is applied it is going to bend a little and than go back straight. over time that stress point has a tendency to fail in some way. recent examples. i cracked my swingarm on my bike. later on i also had an e 13 bashguard break. how many bashguards do you see split in half.

my point i am trying to make is nothing is indestructible. if enough force is applied it will break. over time even the littlest movement and bending will cuase fatigue in the metal

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
my rst'swill be joining this thread soon tup

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 15:10 Quote
gunnysack wrote:
konarider6666 wrote:
fox forks are the best you get what you pay for

agreed to bad they dont make a dj specific fork..Cry
they do now Big Grin

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
snapped my dj 3's want to get argyles but after looking at this looks like fox is the only decent option shame i cant afford it.
3765424

3765424


Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
pingu wrote:
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:
gunnysack wrote:


agreed to bad they dont make a dj specific fork..Cry

LOL, they do now!!!! the fox 831
No they dont, is just marketing... is just like anyother fox 32 float/vanilla/tallas in terms of body of course..

the internals are all dj/ slalom/ 4x specific

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
conspiracyof09 wrote:
snapped my dj 3's want to get argyles but after looking at this looks like fox is the only decent option shame i cant afford it.
3765424

3765424

only decent option?

my foxes Razz

3686860

3686860


Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
n3lson666x wrote:
conspiracyof09 wrote:
snapped my dj 3's want to get argyles but after looking at this looks like fox is the only decent option shame i cant afford it.
3765424

3765424

only decent option?

my foxes Razz

3686860

3686860


they are quick release though i would go 20mm if i was spending that much plus have you seen how many snapped dj's there are on here compared to a couple of foxes

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
[Quote="conspiracyof09"]
n3lson666x wrote:
conspiracyof09 wrote:
snapped my dj 3's want to get argyles but after looking at this looks like fox is the only decent option shame i cant afford it.
only decent option?

my foxes Razz

Quote]

they are quick release though i would go 20mm if i was spending that much plus have you seen how many snapped dj's there are on here compared to a couple of foxes

Do you know how many DJs are out there compared to Fox? Just making a point

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
would be useful if the year and model is compiled.

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 13:32 Quote
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:
pingu wrote:
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:


LOL, they do now!!!! the fox 831
No they dont, is just marketing... is just like anyother fox 32 float/vanilla/tallas in terms of body of course..

the internals are all dj/ slalom/ 4x specific
i just wish they went with the 20mm qr instead of 15mm


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.016563
Mobile Version of Website