Whats wrong with front brakes?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Whats wrong with front brakes?
Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
You need to learn to use a front brake properly. I can get down a trail, even if it's gnar as hell, faster with just a front brake than just a back brake (I tested it), and you're weight should be fairly far forward anyway, at least IMO.

I tend to just use my back brake for quick direction changes, fine tuning of speed and other stuff like that.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
In Dh using only the back brake is possible and some people could be fast with only a rear brake but braking is a skill like any other and in DH using both properly will make you alot faster because a front brake is far more controled. As for wether you should run them like everthing people bitch about its your choice in the end.

edit: to above post if your washing out your braking in the corner which you shouldnt and probaly makeing them damn braking bumps in les gets.

I'm not washing out in corners at all. I'm the odd man, I know it already. Just like I was a very successfull motocross racer that hardly used a front brake.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
Bolmy wrote:
You need to learn to use a front brake properly. I can get down a trail, even if it's gnar as hell, faster with just a front brake than just a back brake (I tested it), and you're weight should be fairly far forward anyway, at least IMO.

I tend to just use my back brake for quick direction changes, fine tuning of speed and other stuff like that.

I just use the back brake for the same things you do and that's it. Any top DH racer will tell you that your weight should be fairly far back on the back not forward and to use your back brake more than your front. Anyways, we could argue all day about "skill" and whatever with using a front brake, but at the end of the day I'm more comfortable without it as you are more comfortable with it and we'll ride the same trails and be happy regardless.

Posted: Sep 3, 2008 at 23:35 Quote
Bolmy wrote:

then wat do u use ur front for?

if ur a good dh rider u shudnt need front brakes..front brakes are for stopping and backs are for controlling and slowing down

honestly who gives a flying f**k personal preference and skill

i dont use brakes so theres a argument all in its own

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 3:37 Quote
dualsuspensiondave wrote:
Bolmy wrote:

I just use the back brake for the same things you do and that's it. Any top DH racer will tell you that your weight should be fairly far back on the back not forward and to use your back brake more than your front. Anyways, we could argue all day about "skill" and whatever with using a front brake, but at the end of the day I'm more comfortable without it as you are more comfortable with it and we'll ride the same trails and be happy regardless.

Agreed. Fair play. Keep rippin'

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
mitchymaca wrote:
Bolmy wrote:

if ur a good dh rider u shudnt need front brakes..front brakes are for stopping and backs are for controlling and slowing down

Are you serious? i bet you only by parts to look good not for function at all.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:44 Quote
front brakes are gay shit dont ride one on ur dj bike or bmx otherwise your a fag

and remember always ride brakless on DH

Always wear helmets kids!

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:35 Quote
mitchymaca wrote:
Bolmy wrote:

I use the front for more aggressive braking. Being as it's the brake that slows you down FAR faster than the rear.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
Identiti-Will wrote:
front brakes are gay shit dont ride one on ur dj bike or bmx otherwise your a fag

so im a *ag huh?
strange calling people that, when your caption is "i go big" and i have been riding a week and can "go bigger" and i cant exactly ride very well =P

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
arron26 wrote:
Identiti-Will wrote:

so im a *ag huh?
strange calling people that, when your caption is "i go big" and i have been riding a week and can "go bigger" and i cant exactly ride very well =P

yer mate init i was having a laugh dont shit ya pants haha!

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
Identiti-Will wrote:

This guy knows what's goin on.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 13:22 Quote
Kbone wrote:
Identiti-Will wrote:

This guy knows what's goin on.

clearly... i mean, if all bikers were more like him then this sport would be so much more fun...

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 13:27 Quote
i think who ever started this topic is a dick

front brakes suck arse (on certain bikes that is)

end of

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
Why the hell am i still subscribe to this stupid thread i thought i pressed unsubscribe????

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 at 15:38 Quote
im not sure i need a couple of opinions! i wanted to try something kinda new, i ride dirt and park,im currently brakeless but i was thinking of puting on a front brake or a gyro system here a 3 setups:
front:animal illegal cable with odessy mono lever (short and on right side) and evo 2 brakes
back: evo 2 with odessy linerer cable and a mono lever or odessy cabels with a snafu gyro
i was kinda thinking front because 1-less cable =less weight plus i have a hollow stem bolt so it wont interfear with my bar spins and 2-no straight cable tangling up 3-its cheaper and easyer to install
p.s i tryed out front brakes vs foot jam and the brakes helped me with foot jam whips/brake

please give mee lots of opinions Big Grin Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028955
Mobile Version of Website