blown seals, broken fork bolt major help needed

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
blown seals, broken fork bolt major help needed
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 12:02 Quote
my 888's where leaking oil, more or less from one side then the other. i managed to get the side thats leaking the most out. the other seal seems to be keeping oil in. heres the problem:

i stripped, cracked, nothing left of the fork nut. but its still keepping oil in. everything runs smooth, i just topped it off with oil ( X side on a 888 rc2x ) and its alright.

i cannot get the leg out to replace seals

when and if oil starts leaking can i just top if off with oil every now and then and be on my way? or does someone know how much it would be for a X rod.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
is it ok to ride with a blown seal?

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
do you have any pictures? would make it easier to get a grasp on what is going on

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 12:34 Quote
Do you mean "top off" the oil through the top caps to replace what's coming out the bottom of the leg?

If so, the answer is no. The oil is in 2 separate 'reservoirs'. One inside the uppers, one in the lowers. You CAN ride with a blown seal, but it's not advisable. You're gonna end up losing oil and getting crap inside your legs, which means poor lubrication and abrasion.

Basically the beginning of the end, unless you get it fixed. Figure out some way to get the lower leg bolt out. There are several methods of removing damaged bolts.

Some of these include:

-vice grips
-cutting a slot in the bolt head for a flathead driver
-jb welding an allen key into place (might be hard to get out later)
-backtightening two nuts against each other to help remove a stuck bolt

I can give you other ideas, but pictures would help understand your situation

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
You could... I wouldn't though... When seals are broken bad things go in the fork and good things come out... and while you can ride like this it will wreck the fork in the long run... Your best bet right now would be to go to a shop and get it fixed as they will have the right tools for the job and if they screw it up its their fault and not yours.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
rory wrote:
Do you mean "top off" the oil through the top caps to replace what's coming out the bottom of the leg?

If so, the answer is no. The oil is in 2 separate 'reservoirs'. One inside the uppers, one in the lowers. You CAN ride with a blown seal, but it's not advisable. You're gonna end up losing oil and getting crap inside your legs, which means poor lubrication and abrasion.

Basically the beginning of the end, unless you get it fixed. Figure out some way to get the lower leg bolt out. There are several methods of removing damaged bolts.

Some of these include:

-vice grips
-cutting a slot in the bolt head for a flathead driver
-jb welding an allen key into place (might be hard to get out later)
-backtightening two nuts against each other to help remove a stuck bolt

I can give you other ideas, but pictures would help understand your situation

i have tried ever solotion but the welding. i was advised that welding magnisium was a no go? i was going to weld a socket onto it.

so i cant lift off the top caps, and poor oil into the the chamber where ther springs as and be good? and would tig welding be dangerous aruond that area

lastly.. i will ride aruodn on it ontill the seal starts leaking oil. when that happends, im going to cut the dampening rod and slide it through the bottom, and order new intenrals for that side. does anyone know if the top caps come off the dampening asselmby? the manual wasnt to clear.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:07 Quote
i shuold send it into marzo, but i dont have the money. the X side is sealed tight, just cant take of the bolt so its sorta alright

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
Send it to marz claiming it was a defect in the fork.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
I just realized everything i said was false.

its a 2006 888 rc2x, which i baught second hand. what will they do?

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:14 Quote
They'll probably charge you for it. Would you rather spend some money, and get it fixed, or keep riding it, and quite possibly need a whole new fork?

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
no i would not mindSmile

but what would they do is all im saying.. i would need new internals on one leg for sure.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 13:19 Quote
They'll sell you literally everything you need. Phone them up and check with them, as they'll tell you for sure.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 15:01 Quote
Pretty sure that foot nut isn't magnesium...

Also what's up with the dude saying the fork has two reservoirs for oil... it all drains to the lowers anyways, it's a complete open bath system.

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 15:11 Quote
jb weld most definitly won't work...that stuff is pretty touch and go with different applications...why dont you try my original idea?

Posted: Jun 25, 2008 at 15:18 Quote
Slot would work most likely.

I would use something other than a flat head screwdriver to try and turn it though, something that fills the whole gap so it doesn't just gouge.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010328
Mobile Version of Website