Home Made Bikes

Author Message
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
hmbprider61 wrote:
Wooot!! how about a fresh new build for the 1000th page?

They look so good raw..
They look so good raw..

New enduro whip for 2022 I promise Ill cut down the cables one day
New enduro whip for 2022! I promise Ill cut down the cables one day

Looks great! Just creeped through your profile and loved all the other work there. Very motivating for me. Learning to weld at the moment

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 4:03 Quote
Build me a single speed klunker 29+ adn Stooge forks on it Smile
Oh and a hip bottle holder to Smile




Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 5:51 Quote
DanAlmberg wrote:
Build me a single speed klunker 29+ adn Stooge forks on it Smile
Oh and a hip bottle holder to Smile

dude, that's pretty cool (and my kind of bottle holder as well lol )

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
this thread is wild.I really dig ALL the builds.

I just lurk here to live vicariously through others as I definitely lack the time and resources to do anything like what's going on here.

Although I did almost weld once when I was replacing the starter on my 68 Impala back when I was a kid. I could have sworn that cable was black. Who would have known it was a red cable under all that old oil and stuff on it. Rolleyes

props to all of you on this thread Salute

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
That klunker is amazing!

Also made some progress on mine.
Finally got the suspension rockers all machined up.


And the front triangle is almost ready to be finished - complete with adjustable pivot point for the chainstay.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
laynehip wrote:
That klunker is amazing!

Also made some progress on mine.
Finally got the suspension rockers all machined up.
And the front triangle is almost ready to be finished - complete with adjustable pivot point for the chainstay.

This thing is insane! Also, I must ask, do you folks have massive curbs in SK because I know the mountains aren't. Excited to see this beast finished, one hell of a bike.

And with everyone posting their projects, I'll share a little something that's finally started to progress. Due to external factors, my brother and I's next build which we've been sitting on for months is finally getting pushed along. We got a couple of cranks for the next bikes and polished them a bit.


Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 19:33 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
hmbprider61 wrote:
Wooot!! how about a fresh new build for the 1000th page?

They look so good raw..
They look so good raw..

New enduro whip for 2022 I promise Ill cut down the cables one day
New enduro whip for 2022! I promise Ill cut down the cables one day

Looks great! Just creeped through your profile and loved all the other work there. Very motivating for me. Learning to weld at the moment

This frame deserves to be on the 1000th page. Sick dude

Posted: Jul 23, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
Figured I'd share a build I recently finished up. It's my first frame, with a lot of mistakes and bodges along the way. That said, it rides way better than expected and has held up great. I can post some pictures of the build process if anyone's interested!






Posted: Jul 23, 2022 at 14:31 Quote
That looks awesome! Of fabrication pictures would be cool to see if you want to share. Always curious to pick up details in peoples frames or process that might be useful later

Posted: Jul 23, 2022 at 16:22 Quote
Absolutely share as much as you like. I'm also interested in geometry, design choices you made etc

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 3:41 Quote
It really like the looks of it. I had some time to look a bit more in detail: But are the two halve of the link not connected?

Having halves not connected and also brace between the seatstays, doesn't that give to much flex and load on the shock?

Or is it actually a 3d single piece? Than it is different of course.

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
This looks fantastic! Love the color fade on it!

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
It really like the looks of it. I had some time to look a bit more in detail: But are the two halve of the link not connected?

Having halves not connected and also brace between the seatstays, doesn't that give to much flex and load on the shock?

Or is it actually a 3d single piece? Than it is different of course.


The halves of the link are not connected, and neither are the seatstays, as they would interfere with the seat tube when the suspension is compressing. I haven't noticed much flexing, as the frame to link mount is very strong, and the through bolt to the upper shock link adds some rigidity. That said, I am working on a V2 design for my capstone design project, and will be using an integrated link.

I used an MDF sheet and 3d printed parts as a jig, and tacked everything in that way. Most of my time on the project was spent getting the jig figured out and mitering the tubes by hand... Next time around I will build an aluminum jig and do the mitering with hole saws lol. Despite the iffy setup, it ended up pretty damn straight.

I learned to tig weld as I went... I practiced for a few weeks before the actual build. I'm pretty confident in the strength of the welds, but they definitely aren't pretty.

I've started the very early work for V2, I'm planning on moving to a VPP inspired design and shortening the chainstays a bit. They are currently 450mm as a clearance precaution, and I'd like to get them closer to 440 if possible.

I'm very happy with the rest of the geometry and fit. It balances climbing and descending really well, and is deceptively playful for such a long bike. I used Peter Verdone's fitment method, and I must admit he is onto something. I've struggled with Large bikes feeling a bit cramped, and XL bikes having me too reached out, and this has struck a great balance for me.

Enough rambling, here are the pics










Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 5:44 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
This looks fantastic! Love the color fade on it!


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019416
Mobile Version of Website