Home Made Bikes

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 18:20 Quote
I've been told there's a new episode on the way. I'm starting to get skeptical Rolleyes

Couple things while we wait, I took the pink bike to the bike park. Bumped the fork up to 170mm and swapped the 210mm dropper for the pivotal seat off the jump bike. I'm really impressed with how well it did, I felt much more at home on this than on the too small, rented mule of a downhill bike I used last time. I put it down more black trails than I though I was gonna and only managed to break a shifter cable.

And the bouncy frame is going...well? If I'm honest, It's going along better than I thought. I had, in my opinion, 3 possible project killers in the rear triangle and I think I have them all handled and don't need to rebuild the entire ass end. I hope.

I'm currently making tire clearance.

I'm sure it's fine. Cool

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
Honestly I like your style haha...but...it'd "box" those tubes, that is unless you like using those tubes soak up some chatter, maybe

soywater wrote:
I've been told there's a new episode on the way. I'm starting to get skeptical Rolleyes

Couple things while we wait, I took the pink bike to the bike park. Bumped the fork up to 170mm and swapped the 210mm dropper for the pivotal seat off the jump bike. I'm really impressed with how well it did, I felt much more at home on this than on the too small, rented mule of a downhill bike I used last time. I put it down more black trails than I though I was gonna and only managed to break a shifter cable.

And the bouncy frame is going...well? If I'm honest, It's going along better than I thought. I had, in my opinion, 3 possible project killers in the rear triangle and I think I have them all handled and don't need to rebuild the entire ass end. I hope.

I'm sure it's fine. Cool

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 6:39 Quote
joose wrote:
Honestly I like your style haha...but...it'd "box" those tubes, that is unless you like using those tubes soak up some chatter, maybe

Oh, indeed. I’m gonna plate them off with some .120” 4130 plate. Like a yoke that just nestles into that hole in the stays. As they sit, they’re flimsy enough that if you stuck 2x4 in between the stays you can wrench the rear around quite effectively. Just ask me how I know that little secret Rolleyes

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 16:28 Quote
soywater wrote:

I'm sure it's fine. Cool

Looking sweet! Can’t wait for the videos to be uploaded soon! Can you drop a link to where you got those stick on cable clips that the pink bike is running? The ones I used on the bike I posted a few pages back have all fallen off

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
Thanks! You’re probably gonna laugh, but the zip tie mounts are these

http://https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-10-Pack-1-in-Mounting-Base-Cable-Ties/50005766?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-ggl-_-LIA_ELC_106_Tools-Wire-Connectors-_-50005766-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W9u47_JVpJFZMRAql_fAWtAB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-yW94rd-QIVnwytBh3M9AzAEAQYASABEgKS6vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I couldn’t find a longer link, I tried. I removed the adhesive they came with, shaped them into ovals on the belt sander, warmed them up and formed them to the shape of the down tube.

The secret sauce is the tape. 3m trim mount tape from the auto parts store.

http://https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/body-molding-tape/p/3m-1-2in-molding-tape/517034_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:10574827360&gbraid=0AAAAADkcoVsSCS9HyCy4j5SXMXFAyBVM8&gbraid=0AAAAADkcoVsSCS9HyCy4j5SXMXFAyBVM8&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoemzlozd-QIVBz6tBh0nkAy2EAQYASABEgItvfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

With another nice, short link. The grey stuff with the red backer is the stuff you want. It’s really strong but can be removed without ruining paint.

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
2022 PVD F-16 Fighting Falcon, MTB

https://www.peterverdone.com/2022-pvd-f-16-fighting-falcon/

My hardest push into modern front end geometry. I'm still early in testing and have yet to understand which direction I'll be going from here.

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
pvd666 wrote:
2022 PVD F-16 Fighting

My hardest push into modern front end geometry. I'm still early in testing and have yet to understand which direction I'll be going from here.

Interesting approach pushing the zero offset stem and steeper headangle.

Personally I'd suggest to push the seat angle up to 75° actual, and nearer 77° virtual. Especially with the rear centre being so short. Completely personal preference tho, and like you said first iteration hopefully rides as nice as it looks.

Really interested in your feedback though.

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
scar4me wrote:
I'd suggest to push the seat angle up to 75° actual, and nearer 77° virtual. Especially with the rear centre being so short.

I'm at about as far forward as I can handle. I'm not a young racer kid. I feel the pain. 75 degrees is probably as steep as I will go.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 21:46 Quote
@pvd666.... thank you for posting! your site is a gold mine. Please continue!

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 15:11 Quote
And speaking of things that are definitely not a gold mine,

I also believe I promised you all more exhaust tube (everyone's favorite)

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 20:53 Quote
just finished up my first Full Suspension. Learned a ton while making it!. Its a horst link high pivot with an idler. Links and idler cap were drawn by me and then machined by a buddy @stratocycles. Some details below.

170mm front/ 150 mm rear
63 HTA
76 STA
440 CSL
470 Reach
31mm BB Drop

Fun AF. Im gunna ride it for a bit and then before winter hits, I will get it powder coated. I was just too excited to ride it to wait!

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
Looks dope. Is that steel or ti? Got glamour shots of the rocker pivot area? What material did you choose for the idler?

Also, heads up, your oval ring needs to be clocked 90 degrees!

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
skimgosu wrote:
Looks dope. Is that steel or ti? Got glamour shots of the rocker pivot area? What material did you choose for the idler?

Thanks! I'll get a photo of the rocker later today! The frame is all steel, idler is an alu forbidden idler. I may try a steel one but the aluminum one seems to be working fine for now.

And it's a sram dm ring. It can only be mounted one way

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 3:51 Quote
wheeliedad wrote:
skimgosu wrote:

Thanks! I'll get a photo of the rocker later today! The frame is all steel, idler is an alu forbidden idler. I may try a steel one but the aluminum one seems to be working fine for now.

wow never thought about this until now, but oval chainrings don't do what they are supposed to do on bike with an idler where the direction of the chain is so different! Time to bring bio-pace back i guess...

sweet frame tho! looks like heaps of fun!

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
wheeliedad wrote:
skimgosu wrote:

wow never thought about this until now, but oval chainrings don't do what they are supposed to do on bike with an idler where the direction of the chain is so different! Time to bring bio-pace back i guess...

sweet frame tho! looks like heaps of fun!

Does it though? Because the clocking of the oval is to compensate for the dead zone of your legs when pedaling which doesn't change position when you have a high pivot bike with an idler

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015586
Mobile Version of Website