Home Made Bikes

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 17:33 Quote
Thank you guys so much! I've had it out on real dirt a few times and I'm friggin' tickled. Having no suspension bike experience before this, I can only compare it to my hardtail. It's more comfortable Big Grin

Seriously, it seems to pedal well, I don't notice a lot of pedal bob. It just erases little chatter and I haven't put it down anything serious yet but it seems to just float off the bigger stuff. It doesn't feel like I'm going through travel too fast or feel spongy, it feels supportive, just really forgiving if that makes sense.

It's stupid heavy, but the weight is really low. It's hard to turn over the weight is so low. I'm already working on a weight loss plan. I think the big heavy crankset, linkage and main pivot bolt are all going to be replaced with slightly lighter weight options. It's a touch overbuilt right now.

I'm also gonna rebuild the rear triangle before it breaks. There are a few things that bug me and about 3/4 of the way through, I had a better idea. So I'm gonna straighten it out, make a little better use of the space where everything comes together and get rid of the chain rubbing on the stay all at once. I wanna ride it tomorrow, I'll probably take it apart this week and start that over.

We also have a delicious new episode.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 17:45 Quote
@soywater This is so sick. Also cool to hear you are motivated to improve it. Keep us updated.

Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 18:22 Quote
soywater wrote:
It's stupid heavy, but the weight is really low. It's hard to turn over the weight is so low. I'm already working on a weight loss plan. I think the big heavy crankset, linkage and main pivot bolt are all going to be replaced with slightly lighter weight options. It's a touch overbuilt right now.

I'm also gonna rebuild the rear triangle before it breaks. There are a few things that bug me and about 3/4 of the way through, I had a better idea. So I'm gonna straighten it out, make a little better use of the space where everything comes together and get rid of the chain rubbing on the stay all at once. I wanna ride it tomorrow, I'll probably take it apart this week and start that over.

Congratulations on completing the build, or rather entering the "Project Bike" phase of the build lol.

The bike looks slick and I bet you'll get a lot of questions about it on the trail.
Excited to see its evolution!

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 23:12 Quote
Hi!
I would like to show off the cyclocross carbon frame I made. Top tube, chainstay, headtube and dropouts I made myself, down tube, seat tube and seatstyes are from https://m-carbo.com/. I've already tested it solidly on several cyclocross races, placing in the top ten.

Top tube and chainstay was made by "bladder moulding" in moulds that I made on printed model

Dropouts were compression moulded

All was glued on jig and then reinforced by lamination with vacuum bag

It came quite nice for a first carbon frame, it is not the light one, but next one should be better. More about this project here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/156513559/Carbon-fiber-handmade-cyclocross-frame

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 0:13 Quote
Stachudopiachu wrote:

Very cool! congrats on the bike and placing this high in your races!

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 2:28 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
Stachudopiachu wrote:

Very cool! congrats on the bike and placing this high in your races!

Thanks! I was following your posts about carbon builds, very inspiring

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:13 Quote
holy cow...! truly amazing what you guys are doing in this thread here. Salute

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
That picture with the neons is great!

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
Super rad man! Worked with cf and fg enough to know what a huge undertaking that was especially without prepreg

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
SO RAD. how did you make the bladders? paint latex onto the inside of the mold? I have been thinking about giving this a go.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 19:11 Quote
also interesting that you printed the part and made the mold around this. Is there a reason why you didnt print a mold instead?

definitely the best thread on this god forsaken website

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
huvudvind wrote:
SO RAD. how did you make the bladders? paint latex onto the inside of the mold? I have been thinking about giving this a go.

Thanks, was thinking about latex bladders as you mention or even make them by rotomoulding. But for this first prototype i just used bike inner tubes Smile

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
huvudvind wrote:
also interesting that you printed the part and made the mold around this. Is there a reason why you didnt print a mold instead?

definitely the best thread on this god forsaken website

Molds have to withstand 2/3 bar of pressure. Printed ones propably won't be stiff enough or i would have to use like 100 % infill and it will last couple of weeks. Also molds from fiberglass are much more durable, and i could make another parts out of it, printed ones would be one of propably. I had some background in fiberglass industry so for me is more "natural" to mill or print model, make it nice and shiny and then make a mould on it Smile

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 11:36 Quote
Stachudopiachu wrote:
huvudvind wrote:

Thanks, was thinking about latex bladders as you mention or even make them by rotomoulding. But for this first prototype i just used bike inner tubes Smile
thanks for the response sounds like you thought it through pretty well. I wonder how a inner tube would put up with more complex tube shapes. also rotomoulding sounds like a good idea hadnt heard of that process

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
I have printed PLA Molds (~50% infill+at least 5-8 layers full layers on top) and cured a carbon fibre frame at 43°C with 0,85bar below base pressure. the molds held up with no deformation and I was very satisfied with the result. The molds were made from x parts, screwed to a wooden plank.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019013
Mobile Version of Website