Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
doctorz wrote:
Does anyone here really wants to know how to build there own bike ,. let me know and i'll show you on a diaporama

on a what....? lol and yeah im kinda interested in how you do it

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:20 Quote
curlxupxandxdle wrote:
doctorz wrote:
Does anyone here really wants to know how to build there own bike ,. let me know and i'll show you on a diaporama

on a what....? lol and yeah im kinda interested in how you do it
me too?Big Grin tup

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
Well first off, you need to know how to weld and be good, you need to have many tools, alot of time, be good in math (for calculating all the angles for the frame's geometries at all that crap) have money to buy the metal which has gone up alot lately, have experience in metal because metail isn't always easy to work with, make lots of errors lol to learn and correct them.

This is a long process. Mainly you need lots of money, tools and time. You need a welding machine (prefered TIG, but MIG is easier to learn) some metal saws, some clamps, some tube bending machine, and lots of time on the planing and drawings.

This can be a project of many weeks to start off with. Plus it would cost you lots in machines and lots in metal because you'll have to buy more metal than the bike requires in case that you screw up something which is bond to happen.

I'm no expert, but i know that building your own bike is a hell of a project.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
i wanna build my own frame but i dont have the stuff to make the bottom bracket tube prolly a cnc machine... lol definatly dont have it... prolly a dirt jumper/street bike something a lot easier then a dualy but i dont have the money to have that made

Posted: Jul 12, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Well first off, you need to know how to weld and be good, you need to have many tools, alot of time, be good in math (for calculating all the angles for the frame's geometries at all that crap) have money to buy the metal which has gone up alot lately, have experience in metal because metail isn't always easy to work with, make lots of errors lol to learn and correct them.

This is a long process. Mainly you need lots of money, tools and time. You need a welding machine (prefered TIG, but MIG is easier to learn) some metal saws, some clamps, some tube bending machine, and lots of time on the planing and drawings.

This can be a project of many weeks to start off with. Plus it would cost you lots in machines and lots in metal because you'll have to buy more metal than the bike requires in case that you screw up something which is bond to happen.

I'm no expert, but i know that building your own bike is a hell of a project.
you got all the right answer on the first chapter but the main thing you need craftmanship and skill if you cannot even put your bike together dont venture into this Ok,
i will post some photo today at the end of the day on how to get things done for now , for those interessted you need some metal get the bottom bracket and head tube and seat tube from an old steel frame thats the fastest and cheapest way to start on your first project recycle an old chromoly bike or cheap wal mart steel bike they get weld easier, when you complete the first step write me back i will reveal more ho yes you need a pair of grinder (4.5 inch angle grinder) at least with a 6 amp motor , for the welding you can get it done at your local steel mill

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 8:15 Quote
i was expecting an answer to my last post on this thread not on my noteboard , reply to the question mention

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 8:47 Quote
wtp51 wrote:
the first one reminds me of a bighit if the shock goes in those holes

No its like a V10 its got a vp link if you look at a picture of a v10 the linkage it is set up the same way.

Awesome job on the bikes anyways. I have been building my own with completely unique linkage designs if you want to check out my designs they are on my website

www.nobsbikes.com

The name of the company I want to startup after I get my mechanical engineering degree is No BS Bikes and the rest is pretty much on there.

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
doctorz wrote:
i was expecting an answer to my last post on this thread not on my noteboard , reply to the question mention

A note on your second bike, it looks like the swingarm is not supported enough. You should think about gusseting it up with sheet metal because it wont add a lot of weight but greatly increase its stiffness. Just throwing it out there.

Also how much travel do each of those bikes get and what are they made of?

What do they ride like?

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
A note on your second bike, it looks like the swingarm is not supported enough. You should think about gusseting up the connection point with sheet metal about 2 inches from the inside corner.
can you show us wich bike exactly

Also how much travel do each of those bikes get and what are they made of?the bobspecial has 9 inch
the overkill has 10 inch and the new frame i finish yesterday has 8 inch

What do they ride like?[/Quote]awesome the geo is specifically made for each rider (me and bob ) only the Samedi is made for the average rider

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
doctorz wrote:
A note on your second bike, it looks like the swingarm is not supported enough. You should think about gusseting up the connection point with sheet metal about 2 inches from the inside corner.
can you show us wich bike exactly

Also how much travel do each of those bikes get and what are they made of?the bobspecial has 9 inch
the overkill has 10 inch and the new frame i finish yesterday has 8 inch

What do they ride like?
awesome the geo is specifically made for each rider (me and bob ) only the Samedi is made for the average rider[/Quote]

The second one, the single pivot. Did you use SolidWorks or a finite element analysis program on the frames when you designed them?

What material do you use? I use 4130.

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:03 Quote
The second one, the single pivot. Did you use SolidWorks or a finite element analysis program on the frames when you designed them?no we use our brain and paper and most precious of all long age experiences( im 34 ive build bike before when i was your age

What material do you use? I use 4130.[/Quote]plain gauge structural steel

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:12 Quote
doctorz wrote:
The second one, the single pivot. Did you use SolidWorks or a finite element analysis program on the frames when you designed them?no we use our brain and paper and most precious of all long age experiences( im 34 ive build bike before when i was your age

plain gauge structural steel[/Quote]

Fair enough. I just wanted to know where you're coming from. Solidworks makes everything so much easier and its not all that hard to learn. All my linkage designs are completely original and I doubt if you could make them work without the help of a computer before getting too far.

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:17 Quote
sirknumskullgt wrote:
doctorz wrote:

plain gauge structural steel

Ive also got 10 years of design and fabrication experience and I do all my own machining and welding so I'm not unexperienced in any way. [/Quote]

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:18 Quote
Fair enough. I just wanted to know where you're coming from. Solidworks makes everything so much easier and its not all that hard to learn. All my linkage designs are completely original and I doubt if you could make them work without the help of a computer before getting too far.[/Quote]

ive had my own company a long time ago (1997) and i was making prototype for big company that did not had a production plant at there disposal , (chaos cycles) then i went bankrupt , and since last year i came back and decided to try my hand a making my own bike with all the tool at my disposal (IE; angle grinder, mig welder, bench drill, metal saw, cordless drill) and so far me manage to build 3 successfull bike they work well and handle like a charm, my suggestion is dont try to go mainstream keep this as a passion and make bike for those who want something different .

Posted: Jul 13, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
doctorz wrote:
Fair enough. I just wanted to know where you're coming from. Solidworks makes everything so much easier and its not all that hard to learn. All my linkage designs are completely original and I doubt if you could make them work without the help of a computer before getting too far.

ive had my own company a long time ago (1997) and i was making prototype for big company that did not had a production plant at there disposal , (chaos cycles) then i went bankrupt , and since last year i came back and decided to try my hand a making my own bike with all the tool at my disposal (IE; angle grinder, mig welder, bench drill, metal saw, cordless drill) and so far me manage to build 3 successfull bike they work well and handle like a charm, my suggestion is dont try to go mainstream keep this as a passion and make bike for those who want something different .[/Quote]

I agree with passion thing because thats what its all about for me, I'm shooting for the custom market first but theres no reason not to transition into moderate production if it sells. I'm going for a Brooklyn Machine Works sort of thing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015365
Mobile Version of Website