Home Made Bikes

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 14:32 Quote
If your bmx feels small then you need a different size frame or bars. Its all about making the geometry suit you.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 14:35 Quote
iknoweverythingaboutbikes wrote:
i dont ride bmx anymore. just mountain bikes. that's an irrelevant question

Given your age, I simply wanted to know how much exposure you had to the way BMX companies used to do things before these modern day cookie cutter lightweight frames came along.

With that being said, trail BMXs used to have slack head tubes and they did reasonably well on the trails but compared to a steep angle they handled like limos and they didn't perform all that well off the trails. I also get the feeling that you're going to have a hard time getting a descent set of angles that would be rideable and still provide sufficient foot clearance for barspins.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 15:34 Quote
It would be interesting see how a bmx bike with a tall fork and lower rise bars handles. the longest tt i've seen on a bmx bike is 21.5. my dirt jumper has a 23in tt and feels right. I dont think bar spins would be impossible but defiantly harder that a typical bmxer. Guys out there barspin dirt jumpers all the time with a 69 degree head tube and wide bars. I was planning on using about a 71 degree head tube angle which will make it handle slower but the stability trade off might be worth it.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 16:46 Quote
Um yeah. Macneil makes the Deuce Deuce in a 22, but dude, obviously your dirt jumper will have a longer tt, it has bigger wheels...trust me you are not getting any benefits from either.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 16:53 Quote
Did I read that wrong, or are you convinced that a 69* head angle is twitchier than a 71? Or maybe my logic is off...

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 17:11 Quote
Just build it already.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 17:30 Quote
rokor wrote:
Did I read that wrong, or are you convinced that a 69* head angle is twitchier than a 71? Or maybe my logic is off...

71 is twitchier that 69. i meant it will be slower handling than a typical bmx bike which is like 74 degrees

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 17:41 Quote
I actually like how that 20" DJ thing looks in your picture. If you threw some actual BMX bars on it I think it would be a super fun commuting bike.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 17:44 Quote
i didnt have commuting in mind but maybe. 7in rise bmx bars might be to high with a 26in fork like pictured. i'm thinking 3in rise bars will work well

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 18:02 Quote
Either way, at the end of it all you'll have a bike which you'll learn to be is completely obsolete as opposed to something that was designed with thousands of reference points and years of refining. I'm going to do nothing but suggest you get the idea of building this thing out of your head.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 20:37 Quote
rokor wrote:
Either way, at the end of it all you'll have a bike which you'll learn to be is completely obsolete as opposed to something that was designed with thousands of reference points and years of refining. I'm going to do nothing but suggest you get the idea of building this thing out of your head.

How would it be obsolete? They make 24in dirt jumpers and 24in bmx bikes so why not a 20in dirt jumper. Bike geometry is pretty simple. The main triangle would be dj geometry and the rear triangles would be the same as a bmx bike. Of course people on pb are going to hate anything new or different.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 20:55 Quote
i dont get how a bmx is not a 20" dj??

pro's and groms everywhere have been ripping bmx's on dirt jumps for years, and making 24 and 26" frames and riders look stupid/unstylish while they do it.

the people that have been designing frames for the last twenty years, and the pro's that have been giving them feedback, really do know what they're doing.

maybe what you make might feel better to you, but it will simply because you cant ride properly.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 21:37 Quote
iknoweverythingaboutbikes wrote:
rokor wrote:

71 is twitchier that 69. i meant it will be slower handling than a typical bmx bike which is like 75 degrees

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 21:56 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
i dont get how a bmx is not a 20" dj??

pro's and groms everywhere have been ripping bmx's on dirt jumps for years, and making 24 and 26" frames and riders look stupid/unstylish while they do it.

the people that have been designing frames for the last twenty years, and the pro's that have been giving them feedback, really do know what they're doing.

maybe what you make might feel better to you, but it will simply because you cant ride properly.

that may be the case. I'm no pro. I just would like to try something different. I don't see any reason not to.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 22:35 Quote
If you want to build it, you have every right to, regardless of what anyone else says. I don't see any reason not to do it either - your first few bikes won't be the finest crafted things anyway, unless you are already a seasoned fabricator. Do it for shits and giggles if nothing else. I've built some really goofy looking bikes - and one's that rode even goofier. I've made others that rode very well also, but they have all been fun. You don't need to concern yourself whether or not others think that what you are doing is cool - though if you do something that is unlikely to ride the way many people want their bikes to ride, you probably don't want to try and make it out to be something it's not. By all means though, post what you make on here, even if it turns out terrible (or if it turns out great as well).

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010181
Mobile Version of Website