Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 3:28 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
So did you use any sort of composite engineering theory here, in terms of the ply angles within the laminate, or did you just wing it and wrap away at the joints?

The whole thing is made out of 300gsm +/-45° biaxial fibre.

The tubes and plate were made with alternating layers of 0/90° and +/-45° With a few extra in parallel with the direction of the tube.

The joints were reinforced with the ply in the direction of the forces and then a few extra layers in a random direction for good measure.

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 3:53 Quote
DoyenUK wrote:
bauph91 wrote:
Did you remove the foam or is it still in the tubes? Also what is the weight?

Props for the project, had something like this in my head for several yearsBeer

I left it in, the foam is extremely light and it adds a small amount of stiffness/strength. The whole bike weighs a tiny bit over 30lbs. The frame itself was between 4-5lbs I think.

you should do it!

Maybe next year...

I thouhzt about using the foam for internal cablerouting, it would prevent the rattling i think.

Also, did you use an autoclave for the frame?

Posted: Jul 16, 2017 at 22:34 Quote
DoyenUK wrote:
bauph91 wrote:
Did you remove the foam or is it still in the tubes? Also what is the weight?

Props for the project, had something like this in my head for several yearsBeer

I left it in, the foam is extremely light and it adds a small amount of stiffness/strength. The whole bike weighs a tiny bit over 30lbs. The frame itself was between 4-5lbs I think.

you should do it!

You should be saying that it reduces vibrations! Similar to Spank Vibrocore technology Wink

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 13:18 Quote
Well done mate this is the ultimate in engineering with the tools you have and the materials available to you. Very impressed that you stuck to your plan and made an awesome bike! Hats off to you!

DoyenUK wrote:
I would be interested to know how you made the bearing seats, especially in the headset area so they are perfectly aligned.[/Quote]

heres a few build shots.
Frame drawings

Headtube was made my machining an aluminium mandrel on my lathe. Applying lots of release agent and then wrapping in carbon fibre. Bearing wise I pressed aluminium cups into the frame just as I do with my steel frames.

The pivot was a similar set up, 14mm mandrel and wrapped in carbon. Using a jig I then bonded it into the downtube and then pressed IGUS bushes in.

The tubes were made using a foam core. I decided to make each tube separately so that the construction was some what similar to my steel frames.

8mm and swingarm foam core. The 8mm plate made by compressing layers of carbon between tempered glass

All the peices ready to be mitred and bonded.

BB to seat tube jig

Front triangle. (All joints were reinforced with several layers of carbon fibre)

Jig I made for my steel frames. The wood was just for added rigidity (it's still a work in progress)

And lastly here's a terrible photo after its maiden voyage.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 19:51 Quote
Debating on building my own bike. Dose anyone know if the 27.5er Carbon Full Suspension Frame BSA Mountain Bike Frame is any good and worth buying?

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 0:30 Quote
Knolly Warden Carbon?

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 0:55 Quote
That describes countless frames, however first thing that pops up is this. Looks like it came out of the same molds as the previous gen Scott Spark. Not sure if it's an exact copy though. Likely uses a cheaper layup.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 23:06 Quote
Bronson is that. New Enduro is that.

Anyone had any experience buying eBay frames? Wheels seem to be sorted. But I don't see the same willingness to experiment with internet carbon frames. Anyone have feedback on one?

Thinking about either building a road frame or having a gander at an internet carbon frame.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
Do you have a death wish? If so then great! This is how you die....... Seriously though man, a cheap frame with no real traceability, no idea of the quality control standards, no redress if it's a pile of crap and risking your safety to save a few bucks? You're a squishy bag of f*ck all, that will not fare well if your frame gives out at high speed or under stress, trust me on this.....

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
photo
photo
photo
Most recent DougFir29 proto. Frame #8 for me. This is first frame to get seat stays I bent out of 5/8 instead of buying pre bent. Just about finished with a matching one but with single bend seat stays. Learning a ton.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
Where's mine bitch??? I want a DJ!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 15:46 Quote
Lking08 wrote:
Do you have a death wish? If so then great! This is how you die....... Seriously though man, a cheap frame with no real traceability, no idea of the quality control standards, no redress if it's a pile of crap and risking your safety to save a few bucks? You're a squishy bag of f*ck all, that will not fare well if your frame gives out at high speed or under stress, trust me on this.....

Ok, we can all fear monger, myself included.

Why am I supposed to trust you on this? Do you have experience with an open mould frame? Everyone has had the same opinion of eBay carbon wheels and yet tons of people have had great experiences.

We don't see posts about death caused by failed internet carbon frame. Don't see a ton either about people buying them either.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Lking08 wrote:

Ok, we can all fear monger, myself included.

Why am I supposed to trust you on this? Do you have experience with an open mould frame? Everyone has had the same opinion of eBay carbon wheels and yet tons of people have had great experiences.

We don't see posts about death caused by failed internet carbon frame. Don't see a ton either about people buying them either.

Open mold carbon frames are not home made bikes and shouldn't be discussed here.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 21:33 Quote
Bonfire you on the wrong place to ask that, as already pointed

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022809
Mobile Version of Website