Home Made Bikes

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
Thanks testride tomorrow was out riding DH all day today Smile

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
whats everyone's must-know tips? Gonna design and build a bike for a school project (Year 13), on the fence about alloy or steel, but probably going to go with alloy as i'm designing the bike for park use. I've done a weird dirt jumper hybrid thing before but thats it. Am i being a bit to ambitious?

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
whats everyone's must-know tips? Gonna design and build a bike for a school project (Year 13), on the fence about alloy or steel, but probably going to go with alloy as i'm designing the bike for park use. I've done a weird dirt jumper hybrid thing before but thats it. Am i being a bit to ambitious?
Steel will be easier as it won't require post weld annealing and heat treating, will also be easier to weld.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
DanAlmberg wrote:
My kids new bike 29 er. Giant Anthem 2011 with new front triangle.

Just made this for my kid Smile
Giant Anthem 2011 with new front triangle.
29er 65 ha

freaking awesome!

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
I’m interested in a very similar question, really the only difference being the bike usage.

Which has me thinking, besides reading through 11 years of this thread, are there any comprehensive guides for this? Not necessarily, “how to build a bike for dummies,” but just quality tips and common mistakes to avoid?

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
aks2017 wrote:
sack-javage wrote:
I’m interested in a very similar question, really the only difference being the bike usage.

Which has me thinking, besides reading through 11 years of this thread, are there any comprehensive guides for this? Not necessarily, “how to build a bike for dummies,” but just quality tips and common mistakes to avoid?

Yeah that’s what I was looking for, I might have a decent trawl through this sub layer and I’ll quote it if I find anything

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
Well I figured while I'm still in the design phase I'll share my current work. I've been designing and modeling this for the last roughly two weeks, and I've been through too many iterations already lol

My goals are to move myself further away from XC riding (lol), but maintain the simplicity and fun of a hardtail for now. So this will be a 130-140mm, 29er hardtail, designed purely for fun, playful riding. It will be made out of 4130 steel, and the final component build on it will be 1x11 XT, with a Fox 34 or equivalent.

Anywho, here are some pictures Smile As you can tell, I'm still working on the chainstays/seatstays/dropouts, and getting those perfect. Also, I'll be using the Paragon Machine Works headtube and bottom bracket shell.

My current unfinished design and geometry for my trail all-mountain hardtail being designed and digitally tested and analyzed winter 2019 before small-batch manufacturing in 2020.

My current unfinished design and geometry for my trail all-mountain hardtail being designed and digitally tested and analyzed winter 2019 before small-batch manufacturing in 2020.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
Numbers look good but all the unconstrained parts in your feature tree are stressing me out, heh.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 18:57 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Numbers look good but all the unconstrained parts in your feature tree are stressing me out, heh.
Oh trust me, i’m hating it every second ????
I’ve kind of been putting it together as a proof of concept, and figuring out all of the angles and positions for my cuts on each tube. This is my third assembly, and I’ll probably do one more once I have all of the final parts and tubes, and then I’ll have all of the feature tree organized and happy ????

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
Multi-body part / weldment would make more sense for the frame anyway, that way you can have the tube cuts affect everything at the same time rather than needing to switch between files.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
DanAlmberg wrote:

Just made this for my kid Smile
Giant Anthem 2011 with new front triangle.
29er 65 ha

Awesome ... I have a Banshee Spitfire with a cracked main triangle that could certainly get this treatment!

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
Another step done on this thing,
But the bolts I bought were way too freaking short.

Super freaking heavy

Slowly making my way

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
Haha, that's awesome! Proper old school huck bike there Smile

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 2:33 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
Haha, that's awesome! Proper old school huck bike there Smile
Totally!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017511
Mobile Version of Website