Home Made Bikes

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 0:06 Quote
edvin-m wrote:
Anyone have a good source for tubing and frame components in europe? I want to try my hands on welding up a hardtail and then progress to a full-suspension. I could only find ceeway in europe but the website lacks quite a bit in user friendliness... I have a source for straight tubing here in Sweden, but sadly no dimensions suitable for seattubes or headtubes.
Website is indeed a bit old, but Peter can get quite a lot. Just send him an email with the tubes and parts you want and he'll very likely can help. Apart from going directly to Columbus or Reynolds I still haven't found a better source.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
JokerT wrote:
Reset Racing dir everything Bike specific and aircraftspruce die Tubes with straight wall thickness.
Aircraft Spruce can't supply 4130 tubing at the moment because of Trump's tariffs and restrictions.....From March they can supply some again, but with a 30% upcharge.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
these are 2 frames ive been working on for awhile.

photo

photo

front triangles will be steel and rear will be all machined 7075

have some straight gauge 4130 tubes in already. finishing of a few things then sending stuff out to get lasered out. once finish up some current jobs i can get on the machining

both are 29". left is 180mm front and back and right is 140mm. Both have pinion gearboxes and i designed my own rear hub for them. they will use a 20mm rear axle with a 130mm width. Because of the pinion i can run a fixed hub. idk if the 20mm is gonna work well but thats the fun of making your own stuff. if it doesnt ill make a new rear end that is 12x142

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
these are 2 frames ive been working on for awhile.

photo

photo

front triangles will be steel and rear will be all machined 7075

have some straight gauge 4130 tubes in already. finishing of a few things then sending stuff out to get lasered out. once finish up some current jobs i can get on the machining

both are 29". left is 180mm front and back and right is 140mm. Both have pinion gearboxes and i designed my own rear hub for them. they will use a 20mm rear axle with a 130mm width. Because of the pinion i can run a fixed hub. idk if the 20mm is gonna work well but thats the fun of making your own stuff. if it doesnt ill make a new rear end that is 12x142
Build yourself conversion drop outs so you can easily swap one hub standard to the other. Looks great though!

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
Ajax those looks really awsome!!!!!

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
Question for anyone who has built or is building a bike of their own. Which, given the thread were in, is quite a few of us.

What did you think of the Poll on the main page about frame building? And when you started building bikes, what were your biggest hurdles and what got you into it?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
Built one frame, the poll is a bit of a joke. I decided I wanted to build frames and did a course. I previously thought I'd have a chance at doing it myself but there was so much I hadn't considered. I couldn't have done it without the course, and I think at least 90% of the people on the poll who say they can build something are chatting shit.

I guess it depends on your definition of a bike perhaps? Going by the poll, about 10-15% of people say they have the skills to make a hardtail. I think about that proportion of people could weld up some tubes in the shape of a bike but it wouldn't be safe, ride well or last more than one ride. I definitely wouldn't say I have the skills (currently, at least) to build a fully. But just under 10% of people say they could. So yeah, I'm not buying the poll at all.

It's been a while since my course and I've just got my tubes to make two more frames! So I guess I'll find out if I can still build hardtails soon haha

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
Well a single pivot full suss isn't much more complicated than a hardtail. You can make everything as hard or easy as you will really

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 18:07 Quote
I'm curious about that poll as well.

I've built two carbon frames that, to be honest were both meh...The first was 100% rideable, but kindy flexy in the bottom bracket. The second was much stiffer, and lighter, but the alignment was terrible and not really worth building up and riding.

There are many things to learn about frame building before you're going to be successful. The best way to learn is to get your hands dirty and give it a shot.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 18:39 Quote
nearing the end of my second frame build!

just need to add a brake brace and finish off the sanding.

static geo -
62.5 hta, 77 sta, 435-450 chainstays, 515 reach, 630 stack, 140 mm fork

WZRD. Version 2
WZRD. Version 2
WZRD. Version 2
Rear end of WZRD. Version 2.
WZRD. Version 2. Parts dry fit. 62.5 hta 77 sta 435-450 cs 515 reach 140 fork

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
aks2017 wrote:
Question for anyone who has built or is building a bike of their own. Which, given the thread were in, is quite a few of us.

What did you think of the Poll on the main page about frame building? And when you started building bikes, what were your biggest hurdles and what got you into it?

For me it was the welding as i never worket with that so i had to learn...Ore i am learning but now i have an idea of what im doing at least. But my first frame holed up for 2 years and thats longer than manny of mine bought frames so im happy with that Smile

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
Finished this frame up Saturday - made it unneccesarily hard on my self with how I drew everything up so it took a whole lot more effort than I wanted it to, but I'm happy it's done now.

65 deg. HA (With 150mm fork)
76 deg. STA
622 Effective TT
Boost 148 - fits 29 x 2.6" tires
423mm Chainstays
Derailleur cable routes through the chainstay, dropper routed stealth as well.

photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
MTBLegend92 wrote:
Finished this frame up Saturday - made it unneccesarily hard on my self with how I drew everything up so it took a whole lot more effort than I wanted it to, but I'm happy it's done now.

65 deg. HA (With 150mm fork)
76 deg. STA
622 Effective TT
Boost 148 - fits 29 x 2.6" tires
423mm Chainstays
Derailleur cable routes through the chainstay, dropper routed stealth as well.

This looks soo good! Love the head tube badge!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025551
Mobile Version of Website