I hope you like going straight lol

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Sometimes all you can say is wow.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
I hate it. I love it.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:17 Quote
laynehip wrote:
68 pounds.

If we make a rough estimate for the frame ... maybe 35+ lb?

laynehip wrote:
So this rats nest works but is a disaster

How about a half-link chain and carefully sized chainring to manage the first chain and a non-contact (STFU Bike style) guide for the second chain?

There may be a way to use a single chain and still have decent kinematics and adequate chain wrap on the chainring, but I'm not optimistic.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
Pursuing refined kinematics for this bike is akin to pursuing refined aerodynamics for a bulldozer. With that said, the bike is rad and I applaud the creator.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
Yeah, I'm not trying to optimize pedaling efficiency, just saying there may be a way to use a single chain without unacceptable kickback or squat.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
Love it, the madness of it is brilliant and love that you're doing something different

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
laynehip wrote:
Need to think of something different

Also weighed it and it is 68 pounds.

I would recommend adding the chain tensioners on the side of the chain that will not be in tension while pedaling. That way the force of you pedaling will not have to go through the roller and add all that drag.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
bmxsnox wrote:
laynehip wrote:
Need to think of something different

Also weighed it and it is 68 pounds.

I would recommend adding the chain tensioners on the side of the chain that will not be in tension while pedaling. That way the force of you pedaling will not have to go through the roller and add all that drag.

looks like it might go close to the underside of the swingarm but i agree if he can do away with that roller it would be better

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
So I just machined some adapters to run the chain normally and to clear the rear swing arm.

Just running the chain normally for now but the chain growth and pedal feedback is insane so will just run an idler at the pivot point and should be perfect.

But took it for a 25km ride and it is awesome!
Although the seat is way too far forward to be able to sit and pedal comfortable but oh well.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
What was the design goal with that bike? Is it just to create something that looks cool or does it do something other bikes don’t do right now?

It kinda reminds me of the old huck machines bender used to ride from karpiel.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
25k ride on a 70lbs bike that you have to standup to pedal... and those tires, and kinematics?

Respect.

Let me be clear- bike is rad.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
laynehip wrote:
So I just machined some adapters to run the chain normally and to clear the rear swing arm.

Just running the chain normally for now but the chain growth and pedal feedback is insane so will just run an idler at the pivot point and should be perfect.

Although the seat is way too far forward to be able to sit and pedal comfortable but oh well.

25km? Were you using the lance armstrong method?

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
laynehip wrote:

Make yourself an offset seat post for a little more comfort.

Also - I want to applaud you for your creativity and determination. I dig it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025774
Mobile Version of Website