Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 18:56 Quote
wzrd

wzrd

wzrd

wzrd

a simple single pivot ive been dreaming up. steel / fillet brazed. 142mm rear travel, 150mm front travel. 210x55 x2 air shock.

the plan get a shock mount laser / water jet cut with 3 mounting positions to play around with out it feels. i will also build it around a pf30 bb, so i can try different bb heights and effective seat tube angles with an eccentric bb.

the main pivot would be handled by a 44mm headtube, and a 1 1/8 aluminum steer tube. not sure what i will run as a downtube yet, but likely a 38.1x.9 with some sort of gusset at the shock mount.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
Neat.

You may want to consider slightly more BB drop, unless you prefer to not get too low and/or you run long cranks. Reasons:

• Travel is a bit less than average, so the dynamic geometry won't be as low as if you had more travel.
• Motion ratio curve is pretty flat, so you'll probably want to run less sag. This will also increase the dynamic height.

If you choose to increase the drop, you may considering lowering the pivot to reduce the pedaling anti-squat.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Neat.

You may want to consider slightly more BB drop, unless you prefer to not get too low and/or you run long cranks. Reasons:

• Travel is a bit less than average, so the dynamic geometry won't be as low as if you had more travel.
• Motion ratio curve is pretty flat, so you'll probably want to run less sag. This will also increase the dynamic height.

If you choose to increase the drop, you may considering lowering the pivot to reduce the pedaling anti-squat.

Always down for a lower bb, I had been looking at longer travel bikes for inspiration.

You suggesting lowering the pivot proportionately to the increased bb drop, or even lower?

Thanks for the insight!

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 22:29 Quote
Are you going to be running a headset as your main pivot bearing? Cause Chris King's new ltd colorway would look really awesome with some exposed fillets. Can't use a 44 headtube, but that's easy to fix.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 23:00 Quote
curbwzrd,

I'll send you a PM.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Are you going to be running a headset as your main pivot bearing? Cause Chris King's new ltd colorway would look really awesome with some exposed fillets. Can't use a 44 headtube, but that's easy to fix.
[P=http][/P]

I will be running two upper ZS headset cups as the main pivot bearings. As a general rule, all my bikes are a Chris King free zone.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
That's an interesting rule to have, but I suppose I can understand. Big Grin

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
curbwzrd wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
[P=http][/P]

I will be running two upper ZS headset cups as the main pivot bearings. As a general rule, all my bikes are a Chris King free zone.

I have the same rule!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
curbwzrd wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
[P=http][/P]

I have the same rule!

As do I!! Are we brothers now? Brothers gotta...

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 1:29 Quote
Such an awesome idea!

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
Pics of my wacky linkage fork

Though I'd give you guys an update. Red is the axle path, I made two different ones. The traditional one has an axle path more like a regular fork.

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
Can you share the motion ratio curves and the anti-dive curves?

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
I don't have them. I only have the demo version of linkage.

Posted: Feb 3, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
You really need to incorporate kinematics into your design when creating a suspension linkage. You've already spent several hours on this design and you'll have to spend dozens more if it comes to fruition, so $25 is a small price to make the design rideable.

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
You've already spent several hours on this design and you'll have to spend dozens more if it comes to fruition....

Dozens? Try hundreds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010009
Mobile Version of Website