Home Made Bikes

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
joose wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
joose wrote:

Ok you are pretty much all set with what you have. Def. drill the bore, drill to get started then bore to get them as close as possible, drilling and trying to ream is pointless (personal opinion). If you have long enough boring bars I would just stick to those. Investing in a decent reamer is $$, stick to what you have for your 'prototype'. And dude accidentally getting within a 0.00xx" is really f*cking good.

Good to know, and at school the best I did on purpose was .0002". But then that sounds like bragging.

Anyway, I like presicion...

Machinist through and through.

Razz Is it an internal desire for control??

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 19:32 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
joose wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:

Good to know, and at school the best I did on purpose was .0002". But then that sounds like bragging.

Anyway, I like presicion...

Machinist through and through.

Razz Is it an internal desire for control??

For lack of better wording...yes

It's how you know your work is right, if it's not start over. (I've Burnt through a lot of steel...and that was with cnc fiber/co2 lasers, plasma, and big f'n press brakes...my old boss hated me but everything that came from me was perfect). And now I'm bragging, oops

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
do you know which tool will take the least material when cutting through metal? just curious.

I am guessing a wire edm, but maybe a lazer?

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
do you know which tool will take the least material when cutting through metal? just curious.

I am guessing a wire edm, but maybe a lazer?

I can't answer that confidently, my experience has been only with co2 and fiber lasers, they're more out there though, the new tech out there can surely remove less material. Never got to play with an edm, but I'd like too.

Other peeps here may have a better answer.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
kerf loss in wire EDM is the thickness of the wire. Call it 0.010 inches best case. Maybe 0.020" kerf when considering other tolerances in the cut (alignment, wire moving around).

Source: We use a wire EDM at my company all the time.

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
Fabris wrote:
kerf loss in wire EDM is the thickness of the wire. Call it 0.010 inches best case. Maybe 0.020" kerf when considering other tolerances in the cut (alignment, wire moving around).

Source: We use a wire EDM at my company all the time.

Pretty good then. I will go research...

Here is more info. Not the best quality image but a good view of what it's all about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcRiwJbDKQ

Posted: May 27, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
Ben just finished his fixture and is up and running. This is exciting and his work has improved the design significantly.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
I’ve searched and searched, but got nothin.

Thoughts- pros and cons of mixed wheel on a hardtail? Thinking, 140-150mm 29er up front, and a 27.5” in the back, for the sake of this thought excitement.

Would you pick a mullet over a standard 29er hardtail or not?

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
We don't do mullets for performance. They are a band-aid.

http://www.peterverdone.com/why-mullets/

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
Band aids be winning wcdh races...

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Band aids be winning wcdh races...

Actually, top riders win races.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
mrti wrote:
photo

No mrti, peter knows all in his crystal palace in the shadows of mt tam where the riding is pretty mellow.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
Sounds like I should build a mullet bike!

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Mt. tam where the riding is pretty mellow.

Obviously, someone hasn't ridden Marin trails.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022215
Mobile Version of Website