Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 2:03 Quote
I come from an architectural background, so I have always worked in Autocad, but I really liked the transition to Fusion for bikes and parts. Not too steep of a learningcurve to start. I feel I still have a ton to learn and explore, but I have so far designed and drawn quite a bit of parts that worked very well with the CNC company.
The bikeshop I have my sidegig has just installed a old Fanuc Robodrill that (after some tweaking, but that was more because of the machine) is not making some nice parts from Fusion files. For the money I think Fusion is unbeatable.
For really fancy rendering it lacks materials and lighting options (compared to 3D Viz), but to get a nice view of what you are working on its pretty good.

early render of the frame:
Victor render

render of the rockers for 2 bikes:
Victor render

And the finished part from the Step file:

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 4:54 Quote
wow....you all are doing some incredible stuff. I love dipping in every now and again to check out the projects. VERY impressive. Salute

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
adm750 wrote:
wow....you all are doing some incredible stuff. I love dipping in every now and again to check out the projects. VERY impressive. Salute

This thread just keeps getting better

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
Fusion is basically just a free version of Inventor...BUT there are some oddities to it. Where if you're trained on/ know SW/Inventor you have to "unlearn" some things to use it fluidly. It definitely can be a frustrating sometimes since the steps/ logic of operations isn't shared on Rhino or Alias either. Also on one part file I had some weird dimension creep one time...but it's free...

And honestly for a free program it's SUPER powerful.

Is it like design a bike capable

Yup! Especially if you aren't doing advance surfacing (but Sleeping's project sure shows it's capability) or crazy lofts for custom hydroformed tubes.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 21:01 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
adm750 wrote:

This thread just keeps getting better

That looks amazing! I better start learning Fusion then...

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
Speaking of sleeping's project. Super cool! Those tube profiles definitely aren't welded. Are you doing carbon or a cnc'd in two haves approach?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 23:46 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Speaking of sleeping's project. Super cool! Those tube profiles definitely aren't welded. Are you doing carbon or a cnc'd in two haves approach?
carbon fibre.

prepreg in carbon fibre moulds in bladder inflation moulding technique for most parts if this means anything to you. chainstays are compression moulded in 3D printed moulds.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
It does! Thank you. Do you have geometry and suspension figures you would be willing to share?

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
Still trying to get my bike to ride slightly better.

Originally started off with this mess

Moved to skateboard wheels. But this set up was too weak and just bent the bolts holding the skateboard wheels on.

Then beefed it up. However the chain just eats into the skateboard wheels after 1 ride and the use of a bushing on the main pivot didn't work.

So now have took the time to machine some idler wheels out of aluminum and with the use of proper bearings.
Finally done. Hope it works

This seemed to do the trick. So I think I am officially calling this thing done.
Now onto the next one.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
This kind of stuff is exactly why I am in this thread, keep it up

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
Amazing. This is such a pinkbike bike… like the ones folks were building in the early 2000s. Very cool. Congrats!

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
Laynehip- have you ever thought of making one of your bikes powered by an electric motor? And a twist throttle kinda like a DH/MX hybrid?

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
@Laynehip, That mess looks absolutely amazing. I am sure it riding better will be lovely but for what it's worth we are all very impressed. It is a Bad@$$ TANK!

...Does it have a name or model name? Cool

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Laynehip- have you ever thought of making one of your bikes powered by an electric motor? And a twist throttle kinda like a DH/MX hybrid?

One of those things that is on the list but pretty far down the list. Hopefully eventually!

rosemarywheel wrote:

...Does it have a name or model name? Cool

I actually never could come up with a name for it.
All the computer files I just named it the Master Blaster. So I guess it is the Laynemerica Industries Master Blaster

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011241
Mobile Version of Website