Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
I have it. message me your email and I’ll send it over.

Tom-Donaldson wrote:
Anyone got a drawing for the Pinion gearbox mount?

Looking to draw one up for my frame design in Fusion360

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 20:48 Quote
Compositepro wrote:
kaimbell90 wrote:
pvd666 wrote:

Very cool. What does this bike do that others don't?

Not a whole lot. It is a bike. Pedals. Has Suspension. Haha

No but seriously I am doing nothing here to reinvent the wheel. I guess another point I did not bring up in my reply to hmstuna is that I will be making these bikes by hand here in America. High quality materials will be used blah blah.

I grew up in the same town that Turner bikes and Intense bikes were made in (well, turner was actually manufactured in Oregon). I was pretty close with the Turner family and seeing them struggle to keep up manufacturing here and stay in business, and then seeing Intense finally make the move to manufacturing in Taiwan was a little heartbreaking. I know that I am not the only ones who feel that way. I just want to bring that back here and maybe inspire others to do the same. I am moved by what Guerilla Gravity and some the other small US manufacturers are doing, as well as companies like UNNO and Antidote.

Patriotism aside I just wanna make high quality bikes that are fun to ride and built solely for fun, not podiums.

Good answer ignore the f*cking morons in the web do your thing man

Yes, even if there was another bike exactly like this one geo wise out there well, humans like options. Great looking bike!

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
Tom-Donaldson wrote:

Thanks!

You can reach out to pinion and get access to their engineering documents too. They've been really helpful with everything I've looked up.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:47 Quote
EarninTurns wrote:
Tom-Donaldson wrote:

Thanks!

You can reach out to pinion and get access to their engineering documents too. They've been really helpful with everything I've looked up.
Asked them for the bolt hole/mounting pattern, and they sent me all documents and files.

Holy heck, that blew me away.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 19:48 Quote
Hey does anyone have any first hand experience with high pivot bikes. I've been designing a high pivot bike, But I was wondering if anybody noticed any significant performance gains compared to a normal bike because there are some problems with high pivot bikes and I was wondering if I should just go to a simpler normal design.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
You read the front page of pinkbike.

Everyone is raving/raging about them on there

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 2:17 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:
Hey does anyone have any first hand experience with high pivot bikes. I've been designing a high pivot bike, But I was wondering if anybody noticed any significant performance gains compared to a normal bike because there are some problems with high pivot bikes and I was wondering if I should just go to a simpler normal design.
As everything it is a trade off and you need to find the right compromise for your terrain and intentions. Certainly not the best suspension design for everything, but might be the best for your case. Or not.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
Dabroski-5 wrote:

My favorite bikes have all been high pivot, however, with the supple feel of the suspension comes a couple things. If you don't have an idler pully at or near the pivot, the pedal kickback when cycling through the travel is insane, and they are notoriously inefficient at pedaling, (I'm sure this can be negated somewhat through leverage ratio curves and lockouts).

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
azfreeride wrote:
Dabroski-5 wrote:

My favorite bikes have all been high pivot, however, with the supple feel of the suspension comes a couple things. If you don't have an idler pully at or near the pivot, the pedal kickback when cycling through the travel is insane, and they are notoriously inefficient at pedaling, (I'm sure this can be negated somewhat through leverage ratio curves and lockouts).

Oh yeah no way I'm not using an idler but is the supple feeling youbget from the suspension just caused by the leverage ratio or is it the actual high pivot.
Thanks,

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 23:21 Quote
Hey guys.
Im starting to work on a cargo bike.
Will be E assist and internal hub.
Im looking at running a front end similar to a the Catan Ti.
I was wondering if anyone had resources for steering kinematics for a bike to help design the link\angles

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
[Quote="Dabroski-5"][Quote="azfreeride"]
Dabroski-5 wrote:

I've made a few high pivot bikes. Mostly because until recently you couldn't buy good ones. The performance is worth it especially when gravity is on your side. Perhaps not so good for groomed parky stuff.

As a designer, it gives you another parameter to tune. Part of the fun is figuring out how to make it reliable and elegant. Anti-squat is achieved without as much chain growth. Brake squat is negligible on real-world surfaces. I have not managed to get my shifting and retention as good as a traditional system.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 22:11 Quote
[Quote="antgreen"][Quote="Dabroski-5"]
azfreeride wrote:

I've made a few high pivot bikes. Mostly because until recently you couldn't buy good ones. The performance is worth it especially when gravity is on your side. Perhaps not so good for groomed parky stuff.

As a designer, it gives you another parameter to tune. Part of the fun is figuring out how to make it reliable and elegant. Anti-squat is achieved without as much chain growth. Brake squat is negligible on real-world surfaces. I have not managed to get my shifting and retention as good as a traditional system.

Interesting so it definitely sounds like high pivot is the way to go. Also so pretty much as long you dont have drastic anti rise numbers it doesent make a huge difference? Interesting I was about to use a floater brake which is so damn ugly.

Thanks,

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 23:24 Quote
[Quote="Dabroski-5"][Quote="antgreen"]
Dabroski-5 wrote:

Interesting so it definitely sounds like high pivot is the way to go. Also so pretty much as long you dont have drastic anti rise numbers it doesent make a huge difference? Interesting I was about to use a floater brake which is so damn ugly.

Thanks,

At the risk of being wrong on the internet: I think the graphical method for calculating AR comes from Tony Foale’s book from the 70's. It might be considered still applicable to motorcycles (with their higher normal force and friction), but I don't think any real bike engineers use it as anything more than a comparison tool. Not for rear suspension anyway.

My observation is that traction is broken at a lower threshold to the suspension compressing, even on flat tarmac. Obviously, it has even less effect on gradients, on trails, and when your front brake is also applied. The AR on my current build is relatively low at 130% at top out. Perhaps in a more extreme pivot layout, such as Forbidden's, brake squat is more of an issue, but I doubt it. Can anyone here answer this?

Please treat this as anecdotal. Climb up a hill / stare at a lake / think about it for a while. Maybe there are some other effects I have overlooked. Perhaps someone is frowning at their screen in disbelief at the wild speculation and ropey claims posted here. I would love to hear from you, Frowny.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
Hey does anyone have any of the CAD files for the pinion gearbox. I emailed them and they wouldn't respondlol .

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 16:02 Quote
Ive got them somewhere. I'll try to find em tomorrow well at work

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022133
Mobile Version of Website