Home Made Bikes

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
If it makes any difference, if I was going to print it would be in steel (not stainless), mainly because I have no tig welding ability at the moment, but from what I have found from a quick search is that it looks like printing in steel alloys isn't very common. I'd like to make it aluminum someday if the steel version turns out. Yeah I know it will be really heavy but my bike already weighs well over 40 lbs. so it doesn't matter to much to me.

Does anyone know cheap online machining services? Can you reduce the cost of machining by designing a certain way (e.g. design a part to be made using one operation)?

We have a CNC mill at the school but it hasn't ever been plugged in and I don't think it will be by the looks of it. I'll have to talk to my teacher to see if that is a possibility.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:30 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:

We have a CNC mill at the school but it hasn't ever been plugged in and I don't think it will be by the looks of it. I'll have to talk to my teacher to see if that is a possibility.

See if it runs and you have material to use, you’ll feel a hell of a lot better knowing you made the pieces and learn actual tricks/skills with jig and fixtures. Listen to the teacher and ask questions, you’ll learn a shit ton.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
I asked him if we could but looks like it's not happening. I just remembered my uncle has a mill and my cousin worked at a machine shop (not sure if he still does). I'll have to ask them and see if I could get out there and try it myself, I would like to try it.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
Can you reduce the cost of machining by designing a certain way (e.g. design a part to be made using one operation)?
Yes, absolutely, this is part of a concept known as "design for manufacture" or DFM. For machining, design choices like reducing the number of different cutters that need to be used, or the number of times the piece has to be reoriented on the table, or even using stock material sizes (e.g. standard plate thickness so you don't need to machine it down) are all common steps to take and are part of pretty universal engineering best practices.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Yes, absolutely, this is part of a concept known as "design for manufacture" or DFM. For machining, design choices like reducing the number of different cutters that need to be used, or the number of times the piece has to be reoriented on the table, or even using stock material sizes (e.g. standard plate thickness so you don't need to machine it down) are all common steps to take and are part of pretty universal engineering best practices.

Nice thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
I asked him if we could but looks like it's not happening. I just remembered my uncle has a mill and my cousin worked at a machine shop (not sure if he still does). I'll have to ask them and see if I could get out there and try it myself, I would like to try it.

If they're not going to use it, then I would ask the school if you can buy it.....

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
It's wellllllllll out of my budget sadly

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 15:51 Quote
housem8d wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Whats this? Machining da' cheese!

LOL got me there, I remember riding a DHR for a day and debating whether Iiked riding it or staring at it more Redface

Thanks Mate. I really want a DHR but just bought ze Dominatrax and am eyeing a V10... no un]ltra pretty machining there, sadly.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 18:11 Quote

....and you know that because you've asked how much they'd sell it for ??? Wink

I'm not being catty.... I'm only saying this because you have a desire....and I see an opportunity.

You will be amazed at what you can attain if you simply ask...then get relentless and creative after you get shot down the first time (and probably again the second and/or third time....). tup

keep us posted

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 8:33 Quote

Nothings impossible dude. Ask again. If they aren’t using it, buy it and repair it. Then resell for $$$

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
joose wrote:

Nothings impossible dude. Ask again. If they aren’t using it, buy it and repair it. Then resell for $$$

Are you guys just trolling him or are you serious? For all you know this is a 50k CNC or more, and he may have like $500 to his name. Xometry, prototek and protolabs are all good places to go get CNC work done. Xometry will give you an instant quote and you can tweak your design and tolerances and see how that affects price. You may be able to find a local shop that is more affordable. Ignore the clowns that keep saying to buy a CNC

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
Local shop has the advantage that you can sit down with someone and discuss optimisations too.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
mmmk. Mr. Smith, I was completely serious about seeing if the machine can be ran, yeah I know machine are frikin expensive, I ran 2 Haas machines for years. The second was funsys, common dude use your noggin.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
Tsmith1234 wrote:
Are you guys just trolling him or are you serious? For all you know this is a 50k CNC or more, and he may have like $500 to his name. Xometry, prototek and protolabs are all good places to go get CNC work done. Xometry will give you an instant quote and you can tweak your design and tolerances and see how that affects price. You may be able to find a local shop that is more affordable. Ignore the clowns that keep saying to buy a CNC

Thanks for the leads.

Sad to say Subway paychecks probably aren't sufficient. I'll have to take out a loan . . .

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 13:45 Quote

Thanks for the leads.

Sad to say Subway paychecks probably aren't sufficient. I'll have to take out a loan . . .

Subway should be more, to make a proper sub you have to be a sandwich artist. Bummer.

If you have a local set of machinist your money

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016057
Mobile Version of Website