Home Made Bikes

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 15:17 Quote
Anyone got Cad files for a Bafang G501?

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
and-cotic wrote:
Spoke to them not long ago about single frame, got impression of very long waiting time. now have 2 frames, so didn't bother.

started looking more of crafty enthusiasts / pros / masters of the secret sheds. I can actually fully prep frames for repair, get old tubes out; sort new tubes in, cut, file, make them ready for welding if needed; rest is out of my depth.

secondtimeuser wrote:
You tried Argos Cycles in Bristol?

https://argoscycles.com/

If you can do all the prep and are near sheffield I can let you use my tig and if you get stuck can weld them in

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 18:33 Quote
Fueniker wrote:
Just when I thought I understood what that metal thing was for, I realized I was wrong, and then you chuck it in the bin lol. I find myself once again having no idea what's going. Keep it up!

I gotta keep you guys guessing, right? I'm glad you're enjoying the chaos, we're actually gonna start building a bike pretty soon. I think.

Maybe this spy shot from the future will muddy the waters up nicely. Damn spy shots.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 1:50 Quote
grateful, but bit far away...

Compositepro wrote:
and-cotic wrote:
Spoke to them not long ago about single frame, got impression of very long waiting time. now have 2 frames, so didn't bother.

started looking more of crafty enthusiasts / pros / masters of the secret sheds. I can actually fully prep frames for repair, get old tubes out; sort new tubes in, cut, file, make them ready for welding if needed; rest is out of my depth.

secondtimeuser wrote:
You tried Argos Cycles in Bristol?

https://argoscycles.com/

If you can do all the prep and are near sheffield I can let you use my tig and if you get stuck can weld them in

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 4:28 Quote
and-cotic wrote:

Ted James https://www.instagram.com/tedjamesdesign

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
too busy. too famous.

I decided not to rush these repairs. It became too mush of a hassle. Some folks who have the capacity to do it / or do it for living were making such a drama "oh gussets, oH this oh that" I almost gave up, but started getting some leads from good people here who might be able to do it as a side project. I'll get the tubes in, prep all, hopefully by the time I'll have someone to weld. Not gonna bother to look for anyone who would do the whole repair. to prep both frames for welding won't take me long. I can solder all bolt mounts in. one thing I can not do is weld.

shedfire wrote:
and-cotic wrote:

Ted James https://www.instagram.com/tedjamesdesign

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
If for one would never weld something I did not prep myself. Too many unknowns. I am sure you are going to run into the same thing.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
agree to disagree. even santa has a helper .
tube correct, mitre done well, and everything fit together. how do you think production lines work? or orderly workshop of more than one person. think of a kitchen - if chef refused to cook someones else prepped pepper.
professional welder, in this particular case, seeing problems will refuse and will point out why. incompetent welder will be an incompetent welder whatever their reasoning to do or not do the job

Tsoxbhk wrote:
If for one would never weld something I did not prep myself. Too many unknowns. I am sure you are going to run into the same thing.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
p.s. I grew up in workshops and garages. My elderly mother can fix her own fairly modern car. I kind of know how work is done. Usually justifications such as for e.g. "i aint do it, coz you cut it" most often mean some level of incompetence or arrogance or both

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 10:52 Quote
I made a balance bike for my kid for Christmas. I'd never built a frame before, but I'd like to do some more.

I developed a geometry based on 14" wheels after measuring his 12" balance bike and another 14" balance bike.

The bike was made from an old Univega Alpina frame and a few other parts purchased new and salvaged from old bikes.

3D printers can be really helpful for fixturing.

Made with a MIG welder because I'm a rebel (actually just because I don't have a TIG).

A very rudimentary jig.

Re-laced the wheel with a 6bolt hub, removed a spacer to reduce width to 120mm.

I tried a mechanical disc brake but it was too sloppy and required too much lever pull for a little kid.

All done in raw. I like it, but kids like color, so paint it is.

Green!

Dream build: McDurdle 14

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEifZWRgf207dSCnhv_R8APVFs20nyi7YeJGUzalMx90zTk2z5-V6RZV6DNf-0_VDAzK9BSUVBMoHfq0f5CPMrB2xlxD9p-dFrCLInzYN61oeTE7-5R9LvOfjpqX1lwFGycee6FPzFOIdG6PPLiL2kO9KoO561hxvamSUXRKpgGaI2gdDEntlov3dGzAIw=s4032

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
Nice work Dad!!! The anal retentive bike guy in me wants you to flip the rotor around so the splines go the other way.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
and-cotic wrote:
tube correct, mitre done well, and everything fit together. how do you think production lines work? or orderly workshop of more than one person. think of a kitchen - if chef refused to cook someones else prepped pepper.
professional welder, in this particular case, seeing problems will refuse and will point out why. incompetent welder will be an incompetent welder whatever their reasoning to do or not do the job

Tsoxbhk wrote:

Prepping tubes is pretty easy and if you do everything right there should be no problem, but the number of times I have had customers tell me they did the prep work beforehand for welding or painting and I had to go back and redo it so their project didn't turn out like garbage is more than I can count on my fingers and toes.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
MTBLegend92 wrote:
and-cotic wrote:

Tsoxbhk wrote:

Prepping tubes is pretty easy and if you do everything right there should be no problem, but the number of times I have had customers tell me they did the prep work beforehand for welding or painting and I had to go back and redo it so their project didn't turn out like garbage is more than I can count on my fingers and toes.

THIS! hahahaha

That Balance bike is dope. Only think I would have done different is have a BB so I could add cranks if I wanted to down the road. NICE WORK!

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
Rad balance bike!

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 2:29 Quote
neongreen wrote:
The bike was made from an old Univega Alpina frame and a few other parts purchased new and salvaged from old bikes.

My ex wife used to have a Univega Alpina and wasn't amused when someone told her it was an anagram of Pauline Vagina.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012184
Mobile Version of Website