Home Made Bikes

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 3:21 Quote
paties wrote:
Second frame is ready! It's the first one that I have welded myself and it's far from perfect but I'm happy with the result. Now it's time to build it up with parts.

7005 aluminium
150mm travel
29 or mullet wheel set up
Head tube 64.5
Seat tube 78
Reach 465
Chainstay 435
Wheelbase 1235
BB drop -20

frame finished

Tof ding! Reminds me of my old Prophet

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 3:41 Quote
kt1stp0 wrote:
Hello !
Quick question for steel frame builders here. How do you protect your frame from rust (inside and outside of the tubes) ?
I sprayed a bit of WD-40 inside of the the tubes.
I wanted to keep my frame with a raw look so I just varnished it. But rust slowly appears... Any tips ?
Thanks !
ProGold Framesaver for inside, paint or powdercoat the outside.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 3:59 Quote
fantaman wrote:
paties wrote:
Second frame is ready! It's the first one that I have welded myself and it's far from perfect but I'm happy with the result. Now it's time to build it up with parts.

7005 aluminium
150mm travel
Head tube 64.5
Seat tube 78
Reach 465
Chainstay 435
Wheelbase 1235
BB drop -20

frame finished

Are those Banshee dropout system you are using?

Yes, they are Banshee ones!

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 4:06 Quote
G-Sport wrote:
paties wrote:

7005 aluminium
150mm travel
Head tube 64.5
Seat tube 78
Reach 465
Chainstay 435
Wheelbase 1235
BB drop -20

Very nice. Given it's 7005 have you been able to age/heat-treat post welding?

Not yet, might do that after testing so that I know I don't have to change anything. the benefit of AL7005 is that it cures itself at air temp, but heat treatment is better.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
kt1stp0 wrote:
Hello !
Quick question for steel frame builders here. How do you protect your frame from rust (inside and outside of the tubes) ?
I sprayed a bit of WD-40 inside of the the tubes.
I wanted to keep my frame with a raw look so I just varnished it. But rust slowly appears... Any tips ?
Thanks !

I wonder if somehow you can do clear powdercoat without sandblasting?

I have a pslope and its a translucent red powdercoat overtop a non sandblasted frame. So maybe something like that but without the red. Good luck- bikes rusting sucks I have a steel dirtjumper

O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 12:39 Quote
So thougt ill post a vid of the latest build the one with a niner rear as the snow is now gone here and i can finally ride at some speed. Still dailing in the rear shox but it feels really nice. Hope you like it Smile

photo

Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 23:37 Quote
made some progress and I'm super stoked on the outcome so far:

getting there with all the hardware. With each part I learn the limitations of my diy CNC and it get s easier and easier.

Getting there with the hardware. This is probably the part i underestimated the most. even if it is just a small spacer ring or something, everything needs to be done and everything takes time.

seat stay moulds finished tooling after the post cure.

Also got the first carbon moulds done. started with the seatstays to test material compatibility as i used some new things i haven't used before. everything worked out really nicely and I'm ready for the front triangle. Still need to make some more inserts and things like that, but one thing at a time.

seat stay moulds printed plug and some threaded rod to keep everything straight and aligned while glueing up

seat stay moulds Vacuum infusion to fully wet out the carbon fibre with high temperature epoxy resin.

If you're interested there is a full picture series on the mould construction from printed plug to finished mould in my album. And don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you're interested in additional information. I'll try not to spam too much in this thread.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 3:10 Quote
How are you planning on moulding your seatstays?
Prepreg and a bladder? its hard to see mould features that allow this

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 4:32 Quote
merc-blue wrote:
How are you planning on moulding your seatstays?
Prepreg and a bladder? its hard to see mould features that allow this
Prepreg in an autoclave.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
made some progress and I'm super stoked on the outcome so far:

getting there with all the hardware. With each part I learn the limitations of my diy CNC and it get s easier and easier.

Getting there with the hardware. This is probably the part i underestimated the most. even if it is just a small spacer ring or something, everything needs to be done and everything takes time.

Also got the first carbon moulds done. started with the seatstays to test material compatibility as i used some new things i haven't used before. everything worked out really nicely and I'm ready for the front triangle. Still need to make some more inserts and things like that, but one thing at a time.

seat stay moulds printed plug and some threaded rod to keep everything straight and aligned while glueing up

seat stay moulds Vacuum infusion to fully wet out the carbon fibre with high temperature epoxy resin.

If you're interested there is a full picture series on the mould construction from printed plug to finished mould in my album. And don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you're interested in additional information. I'll try not to spam too much in this thread.

honeslty spam all you want that looks awsome

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
Why'd you choose to use CF for the molds and not go with fiberglass since it'd be way cheaper?

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Why'd you choose to use CF for the molds and not go with fiberglass since it'd be way cheaper?

thermal expansion. I think it is mostly good practice i might have gotten away with it, but didn't wanna take the risks. And carbon is expensive, but the material cost is maybe 300$ or so for the mould of the front triangle, which is not cheap, but with the cost of resin and work hours in it just not worth experimenting either.

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
Bike is ready to ride for the first time!
photo

First ride was a two day enduro race in the north of France, wat a way to test the bike!
photo

The bike performed with no issues, could not find a thing that needs to be changed. Tires were too light for the terrain so grip was not the best and got a puncture but the suspension an geometry worked great!

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 17:08 Quote
Holy crap, everybody's stuff looks so damn good.

Guys! This episode isn't about the goddamn seat post. Finally.

I've been lazy and not working on my garbage for the past several weeks but I've been feeling motivated again and been working on the frame.

I also started an instagram, there might be more up to date frame pics there in the near future if anybody is interested. @AlbuquerqueIdiotBox

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
Episodes be damned! Too excited! Guys! Look what happened today!

photo

photo

Is it gonna work? Don't know. At the minimum it will look awesome hanging on the wall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029335
Mobile Version of Website