Home Made Bikes

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 0:40 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
I love the reverse engineering of the layup. Were able to pick up enough information off of it to help build your layup scheme?

I only started with that and for now only analyzed a couple of small sections. I expected the down tube to be much beefier on the bottom side to protect from rock strikes. Other than that no real surprises for now. I have a fairly good understanding of the general layup from the research I did when i built the road bike, but it's a nice sanity check.
I would actually be most interested in cutting some chain stays and seat stays open, but don't have any of those...

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 4:38 Quote
I love pulling the layers of carbon apart, I used to do that with some nasty chemicals that would melt the resin away and leave the individual sheets. Wanted to get into carbon repair and building carbon frames so I have a stack of broken carbon frames in my basement - I was going to pull apart a few to study the layup then use that info to repair the others and see how they held up, but never got around to it.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
MTBLegend92 wrote:
I love pulling the layers of carbon apart, I used to do that with some nasty chemicals that would melt the resin away and leave the individual sheets. Wanted to get into carbon repair and building carbon frames so I have a stack of broken carbon frames in my basement - I was going to pull apart a few to study the layup then use that info to repair the others and see how they held up, but never got around to it.
For repairs you need to feather in the plys anyway so you will sand back the area around the crack and then you can already see the fiber orientation and can match it perfectly. There is a wealth of information available from the faa and other institutions that set guide lines for aircraft repairs. Well worth a read!

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
Finally all done:

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 21:14 Quote
WOW! Is the a built in seat tube?

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
Beautiful work as always.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
mrti wrote:
Finally all done:

This looks so cool!

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
thanks a lot guys.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
Not sure if I like the frame or the fork more!! Awesome work as always Sir!!

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 10:21 Quote
Holy crap that's gorgeous!

I've got more seat post. How many episodes are we gonna do about this friggin seat post? All of them. All seat post. All the time.

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
mrti wrote:
Finally all done:

wow....just wow....! beautiful work. Beer

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
My god I'm not good at this.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 21:19 Quote
I took my frame fixture designs to the next level.

More precise, easier to make, cheaper to build. Perfect for modern high performance bikes.

This new design is really about the end of the development cycle for this.

https://www.peterverdone.com/pvd-wopr-frame-fixture/

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
Second frame is ready! It's the first one that I have welded myself and it's far from perfect but I'm happy with the result. Now it's time to build it up with parts.

7005 aluminium
150mm travel
29 or mullet wheel set up
Head tube 64.5
Seat tube 78
Reach 465
Chainstay 435
Wheelbase 1235
BB drop -20

frame finished

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 15:55 Quote
Digging this tup

Unique - Nicholai/Banshee/Alutech amalgamation
Get that built up & back here soon as you can!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009812
Mobile Version of Website