Home Made Bikes

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 1:11 Quote
grim reaper linkage technology!

what's the mistake that you've done building that you've learned the most from? Other than actually starting the project

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:01 Quote
housem8d wrote:
grim reaper linkage technology!

what's the mistake that you've done building that you've learned the most from? Other than actually starting the project

I had to look that one up, but yeah, pretty much. I like to call it "old guy street rod alternator bracket technology"

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Swedged-Rods-3-8-24-Threads,5891.html

and the bit that attaches to the linkage is brake master cylinder clevis technology

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-3-8-Inch-Fine-Thread-Steel-Clevis-End,46290.html

I truly spared no expense. I bet it'll be the only bike on the trails with actual hot rods parts on it.

That is such a good question. I've been pondering it all damn day. How do I distill such a colossal list of f*ck ups down to a single, teachable moment? I know you stipulated OTHER than starting the whole project, but....starting the whole project.

I don't know how much of my crap you've watched (sorry if it was any) but I've only ever made one frame before. And it was a hardtail. My only suspension bike experience ever has been 4 laps at angel fire bike park on a rented Commencal. I don't know what I'm doing. I have made mistakes everywhere. In the design, in the modeling, in the parts ordering, in the jig assembly, in Every. Single. Step. of the fabrication. I made a ton of mistakes in the way I reacted to shit not going the way I wanted. I've remade the seatpost twice, each set of stays twice, the connect-y bit between the chainstays 3 times, the linkage 3 times and the main pivot twice, and I guarantee I'm not done making mistakes. BUT! Every time I learned what didn't work in that case, and as long as I can learn something from the experience, it was worth having.

Some lightbulb guy said something about having never failed, just finding 10,000 ways that don't work. I'm learning a lot of ways to not build a bike. Shit, I don't know. The whole thing. Just pulling the trigger on the project has been what allowed all of those other learning moments to happen and it's really been the mistake that has taught me the most.

Or, make sure your shield gas is on. I'll let you pick Big Grin

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
soywater wrote:
Episodes be damned! Too excited! Guys! Look what happened today!

Is it gonna work? Don't know. At the minimum it will look awesome hanging on the wall.

As much as I hate using the term epic, I have to say that that frame…..is epic

Love it

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:39 Quote
adm750 wrote:
damn man, that's nice. Like to see the other side too....

Hello guys,

I answer with a very long delay ! Some news from this first frame : I rode 5000km with this bike and completed my first IronMan with it.
photo
Everything works fine. I'm focusing on an MTB now Big Grin

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
joose wrote:

Love it

Thank you so much. I'm really trying to reserve judgement until I know if it's gonna, you know, work, but I am very pleased with how it looks. I got it tacked together enough that it stays together out of the jig and I couldn't resist a picture...

photo

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
soywater wrote:
joose wrote:

Love it

Thank you so much. I'm really trying to reserve judgement until I know if it's gonna, you know, work, but I am very pleased with how it looks. I got it tacked together enough that it stays together out of the jig and I couldn't resist a picture...

photo

BTR vibes, good job

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
I'm just going to call out that we've reached 1000 pages! Amazing.

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Wooot!! how about a fresh new build for the 1000th page?

They look so good raw..
They look so good raw..

New enduro whip for 2022 I promise Ill cut down the cables one day
New enduro whip for 2022! I promise Ill cut down the cables one day

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
hmbprider61 wrote:

They look so good raw..
They look so good raw..

Looks great! Just creeped through your profile and loved all the other work there. Very motivating for me. Learning to weld at the moment

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 4:03 Quote
Build me a single speed klunker 29+ adn Stooge forks on it Smile
Oh and a hip bottle holder to Smile

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 5:51 Quote
DanAlmberg wrote:
Build me a single speed klunker 29+ adn Stooge forks on it Smile
Oh and a hip bottle holder to Smile

dude, that's pretty cool (and my kind of bottle holder as well lol )

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
this thread is wild.I really dig ALL the builds.

I just lurk here to live vicariously through others as I definitely lack the time and resources to do anything like what's going on here.

Although I did almost weld once when I was replacing the starter on my 68 Impala back when I was a kid. I could have sworn that cable was black. Who would have known it was a red cable under all that old oil and stuff on it. Rolleyes

props to all of you on this thread Salute

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
That klunker is amazing!

Also made some progress on mine.
Finally got the suspension rockers all machined up.

photo

And the front triangle is almost ready to be finished - complete with adjustable pivot point for the chainstay.
photo

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
laynehip wrote:
That klunker is amazing!

Also made some progress on mine.
Finally got the suspension rockers all machined up.
And the front triangle is almost ready to be finished - complete with adjustable pivot point for the chainstay.
photo

This thing is insane! Also, I must ask, do you folks have massive curbs in SK because I know the mountains aren't. Excited to see this beast finished, one hell of a bike.

And with everyone posting their projects, I'll share a little something that's finally started to progress. Due to external factors, my brother and I's next build which we've been sitting on for months is finally getting pushed along. We got a couple of cranks for the next bikes and polished them a bit.

photo

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 19:33 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:
hmbprider61 wrote:

They look so good raw..
They look so good raw..

Looks great! Just creeped through your profile and loved all the other work there. Very motivating for me. Learning to weld at the moment

This frame deserves to be on the 1000th page. Sick dude

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025129
Mobile Version of Website