Tips on getting your stolen bike BACK

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Tips on getting your stolen bike BACK
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 18:55 Quote
I recently had my bike stolen, which was a real bummer, considering I saved up all the money for it by myself. But I got it back a few days ago, so I just thought I'd share what I did to get it back if it might help anyone else whos out a bike.

- file a police report immediately, so that they will look out for the bike

- tell people you trust distinguishing features on your bike, so they can keep an eye out. If you tell EVERYONE, the person who has your bike may hear, and change the distinguishing features

- hang around your local dirt jumps, or skate park, or trails to see if your bike has showed up

- IT MIGHT BE SPRAY PAINTED

- if you find the person who has the bike, instead of beating the shit out of them, call the police and let them give it back to you without causing anymore problems for yourself.

- make sure you know your serial number too. its ususally engraved somewhere on the
bottom of your frame.

Well, I hope that helps for anyone who has had their bike stolen!!!

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 18:56 Quote
Good to know, thanks. Could you tell us what specifically you did to get it back? how many of those did you use?

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 18:59 Quote
wannakona wrote:
Good to know, thanks. Could you tell us what specifically you did to get it back? how many of those did you use?

I used pretty well all of them. my bike WAS seen about a week after it was stolen, but the person who saw it could't keep up with the person on my bike. but wehn I did get it back it was becuase my friend and his dad saw someone on it, and followed the kid on my bike, and eventually at his house called me and called the police (we already had a report with the police) and the police let me have my bike back, and they asked the kid who had my bike a few questions about where he got it etc.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 19:04 Quote
you can grind serial numbers off and all of that. Here's a small trick. Bend a few specific bear caps and shove them in your bars. solder barcaps on them (after tightening the caps) so that there's some more insurance of them staying in. That way if your bike gets stollen, you can ID it. you can also use dog tags in the bars if you want. cheers

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 19:08 Quote
he11uvagoodtyme wrote:
you can grind serial numbers off and all of that. Here's a small trick. Bend a few specific bear caps and shove them in your bars. solder barcaps on them (after tightening the caps) so that there's some more insurance of them staying in. That way if your bike gets stollen, you can ID it. you can also use dog tags in the bars if you want. cheers

Heh, thats a good ideaCool

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 8:55 Quote
In another thread I saw "Check the local Pawn Shops" and I thought that'd be good to add to this. also hang around the bad area of town, where all the drugs and stuff are. you'll see A LOT of nice bikes around that area of town.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 9:11 Quote
JUST GO TO THE GETTHO AND TRY TO BUY A BIKE " LIKE YOURS"! YOU SHOULD ALSO TELL ALL YOUR BUDDIES ABOUT THE STOLEN BIKE.( ALSO THE "DIRTY AND TATOOED" BUDDIES)

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:48 Quote
I got my Santa Cruz Bullit stolen with new Fox 36 Talas RC2's. Luckily it was insured... but about a month later I was riding my replacement bike, when I ran into a shady character riding a very low-end hard tail WITH MY FORKS! I chased the mo-fo down, he dropped the bike, and f*cking ran off with his tail between his legs. I took my forks back and turned the frame in (serial # kind of grinded off, but the stamp goes really deep so that doesnt work too well). I live in a small town, and I think the loser knows me because my car tire has been slashed twice already...not sure if it was worth recovering my parts now..until I sleep in my car with a baseball bat and catch that wanker.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:55 Quote
An idea ive just had Pimp

Print on a small piece of paper your Name, address and bike serial number

Then get it Laminated and put it in your BB shell around your BB (It needs to be laminated cause it can get really nasty in there)

Crooks may change bits but its unlikley that they will change the BB

and presto, instant ID for your bike

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 20:14 Quote
police do shitall when you have a bike stolen.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 16:39 Quote
markusbot wrote:
I got my Santa Cruz Bullit stolen with new Fox 36 Talas RC2's. Luckily it was insured... but about a month later I was riding my replacement bike, when I ran into a shady character riding a very low-end hard tail WITH MY FORKS! I chased the mo-fo down, he dropped the bike, and f*cking ran off with his tail between his legs. I took my forks back and turned the frame in (serial # kind of grinded off, but the stamp goes really deep so that doesnt work too well). I live in a small town, and I think the loser knows me because my car tire has been slashed twice already...not sure if it was worth recovering my parts now..until I sleep in my car with a baseball bat and catch that wanker.

Hah, this afternoon, I stole back my Norco Atomik. The theives left the bike in the driveway about 5 doors away.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 16:43 Quote
my friends trek session 10 got stollen it cost him $5400 i think, and of course they caught the guy because theirs like 2 in my county, and the guy got charged with theft over $5000 which is really bad.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 16:46 Quote
all you do is get a ziplock bag, write your info as well as serial number on a piece of paper then drop it down your seat tube on your frame. If you see the bike and police come you tell them to take the seatpost out then flip the bike over. Out pops secret note.

see yah

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 6:20 Quote
Keep an eye on eBay. It is the new age pawn shop where a lot of people who don't know or don't care go looking for deals.

Definitely check pawn shops, I wouldn't waste my time with the large scale pawn shops because they are required to check police reports and due to the volume of business, police will check up on them. However, the "mom and pop" pawn shops usually can't afford it so they will just buy whatever comes through the door.

Don't assume that your bike has been sprayed after its stolen. In this day and age, most people are hip to the fact that a rough painted bike is typically stolen. So a spray bomb job immediately raises a red flag to a lot of people and makes it harder to sell quick. What a lot of people seem to be doing now is stealing numerous bikes around the same value then switching parts between them. That way you give a description of x fork and x frame to the police and some guy is riding with x fork and y frame. That's why its a good idea to write down numbers for anything that you think would be worth stealing.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008560
Mobile Version of Website