Tips on getting your stolen bike BACK

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Tips on getting your stolen bike BACK
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:33 Quote
tom-towers wrote:
Yeah yeah its happened round here! my mate had his bike robbed off the back of his car literally whilst he went into a little shop for a drink, he came out and it was gone with no trace. Drove round for ages looking, then his dads mate suggesting looking over the 8foot fence that his car was parked against, he looked over and just saw the shine from his stanchion in long grass, like that never happens! he was sooooooooo so so so lucky! I still recent him for not waiting for the theifs to come back, there is a massive riding scene round here, he could of easily had 20+ riders to come back him up after a few phone calls!

He's very lucky. The majority off bikes are never recovered. I hope he learned from his mistake lol.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:37 Quote
psyclist wrote:
tom-towers wrote:
Yeah yeah its happened round here! my mate had his bike robbed off the back of his car literally whilst he went into a little shop for a drink, he came out and it was gone with no trace. Drove round for ages looking, then his dads mate suggesting looking over the 8foot fence that his car was parked against, he looked over and just saw the shine from his stanchion in long grass, like that never happens! he was sooooooooo so so so lucky! I still recent him for not waiting for the theifs to come back, there is a massive riding scene round here, he could of easily had 20+ riders to come back him up after a few phone calls!

He's very lucky. The majority off bikes are never recovered. I hope he learned from his mistake lol.

Sad fact is Pscylist that if a thief is intent on gettin a bike, no matter how good it is secured, locked etc, they will get it. Bike security kit is meant to mainly discourage and or impede a thiefs attempts to steal your bike. Thought ya knew that.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:40 Quote
No Rolleyes I'm living on the moon with my head up my own ass.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:42 Quote
psyclist wrote:
Sounds about right.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:45 Quote
Yus it does. I don't get where I said what he states though. I've always known that. A strong chain like an Almax series III will hold off a thieves standard tool, and will make them have to resort to a power tool, thus creating noise. Not handy for them if they're on your property or in a populated area.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:46 Quote
trozei wrote:
psyclist wrote:
Sounds about right.

lol +1 Trozei Merely sayin Psy that ya say the guy should learn his lesson, my point is that of all people, you should know a determined thief canot be stopped. Simple as and end of point made.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:48 Quote
psyclist wrote:
Yus it does. I don't get where I said what he states though. I've always known that. A strong chain like an Almax series III will hold off a thieves standard tool, and will make them have to resort to a power tool, thus creating noise. Not handy for them if they're on your property or in a populated area.
Have you not seen that video of a guy taking a grinder to bike locks in New York City just to see if people will stop him?

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:51 Quote
trozei wrote:
Have you not seen that video of a guy taking a grinder to bike locks in New York City just to see if people will stop him?

I have. That's a very rare thing to happen though. Maybe 'cos it's New York City. Here in Manchester or London etc. people are more likely to stop you, and thieves won't take the risk. Especially organised thieves which work in silence.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:55 Quote
psyclist wrote:
trozei wrote:

I have. That's a very rare thing to happen though. Maybe 'cos it's New York City. Here in Manchester or London etc. people are more likely to stop you, and thieves won't take the risk. Especially organised thieves which work in silence.

Some thieves are well versed, I've seen a dude get stopped by a police officer, explain he had lost his lock key, to which the officer then allowed him to use bolt cutters to remove the lock and steal the bike. The owner of the bike came back half an hour later and could not believe his bike had been taken.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
Stormus55 wrote:
Some thieves are well versed, I've seen a dude get stopped by a police officer, explain he had lost his lock key, to which the officer then allowed him to use bolt cutters to remove the lock and steal the bike. The owner of the bike came back half an hour later and could not believe his bike had been taken.

Bullshit. No police officer is that stupid, nor trained to overlook a man bolt-cropping a locked bike.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:01 Quote
You can be negative and say that its inevitable that bikes get stolen. Kind of like saying its inevitable that you will die in a car accident. The idea of this thread is to dicuss how to prevent bike theft. If us riders pool our thoughts we will make it difficult for the thieves. Also how to get your bike back. There has been some exelent points on this thread. Thieves are for the most part lazy but not stupid. Make it tough to steel your bike. Don't advertise your bike in public. And if you catch a thiefe...........don't call the cops beat the crap out of him. Then call the cops.....he took a swing at me officer when I tried to get my bike back!

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:03 Quote
psyclist wrote:
Stormus55 wrote:

Bullshit. No police officer is that stupid, nor trained to overlook a man bolt-cropping a locked bike.

It has happened in this country mate. Whether you believe it or not is subject to your thoughts. Anyway.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:04 Quote
Easy to feel hate when talking about our custom rides being stolen. Riding is about staying positive. Please stop bitching! Let's work together.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:07 Quote
Sshredder wrote:
You can be negative and say that its inevitable that bikes get stolen. Kind of like saying its inevitable that you will die in a car accident. The idea of this thread is to dicuss how to prevent bike theft. If us riders pool our thoughts we will make it difficult for the thieves. Also how to get your bike back. There has been some exelent points on this thread. Thieves are for the most part lazy but not stupid. Make it tough to steel your bike. Don't advertise your bike in public. And if you catch a thiefe...........don't call the cops beat the crap out of him. Then call the cops.....he took a swing at me officer when I tried to get my bike back!

I agree. If anyone hasn't seen it yet. Read my thread on Bike Security. Covered everything I can possible.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 8:55 Quote
A friend in San Francisco just beat the shit out of an attempting bike thief. My friend was only 2 ft away from his bike when the thief tried to grab it and take off with the bike. Luckily he had a d-lock in the rear wheel which acted as a brake.

If you want to know how to prevent burglary, and deter thieves/burglars away from your property, read this thread too. Most of the information belongs to Metropolitan police.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011622
Mobile Version of Website