All mountain vs. Freeride bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All mountain vs. Freeride bike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 22:04 Quote
Im just getting into biking again from a couple year freeze. Im not sure whether to get a all mountain for freestyle. Im not sure how much an AM bike will handle..assuming it has 6in of travel. Im not sure how big of drops/jumps 6in will handle. I dont plan on doing anything too big, probably nothing more than around 5ft drops. Can anyone help me?

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 22:07 Quote
try a norco six its super tough and im pretty sure itl handle 5 footers noproblem

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 3:47 Quote
A Giant Reign sounds like a good bike for you, 6 inches of travel, could definitely handle a 5 foot drop. Are you going to be doing much trail riding with climbs?

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 11:46 Quote
I am going to be doing some climbs and trailriding, thats my delema, cause a freeride bike im sure would be way to heavy for that. I looked at the reigns, their nice...but a little out of my price range.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 11:56 Quote
2 bikes to check out:
Brodie Zealot
Brodie Dissident

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 12:47 Quote
What is your price range? If I'm not mistaken if the low end Reign is out of your price range then it's about time to look at the Buy and Sell section.

Reign's usually an easy bike to find used same with the Norco Six. I owned a Six and thought it was an excellent bike. If you can find one of the lighter Six's then I'de say go for that, they're built to handle the toughest of Whistler while still being just as pleasant to ride up the hills.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 12:57 Quote
check out the Mongoose Khyber Elite, spec'd pretty good for $1900. I think this would be the best of both worlds and the price really isn't that bad. the suspension design is pretty sweet too, no brake jack, and it really doesn't bob when you pedal out of the saddle.

http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/ProductDetails.html?id=2635&enc=mtn|6

sorry couldn't get the link thing to work....Rolleyes

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 20:41 Quote
hey, i would look at either a Giant Reign X or something in the Iron Horse 6point or even 7point series. Whats the price range were looking at here?

And ya, that Mongoose looks nice actually, i like how it's spec'd. But i unfortunately have only ever heard bad things about their frames, so i, personally, would be hesitant about them. And the Norco's are nice as well, so. . .

just my 2 cents

cheers

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 22:37 Quote
streetlight wrote:
...i unfortunately have only ever heard bad things about their frames, so i, personally, would be hesitant about them. And the Norco's are nice as well...

Several years ago, Norcos were total crap. A few years ago, Iron Horse was essentially a department-store brand. Things change and Mongoose is coming around.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 22:55 Quote
hey... the new giant reign x2 is going for 2200-2300 CAD. it would be a pretty sweet bike for you.

if thats still too much to spend then go with a free ride hardtail like the norco manik, sasquatch or rampage. they can take a beating and come with some really nice specs. then when you get some more cash togather buy a fully frame and transefer the parts. i wouldnt suggest spending under 2000 for a fully with 6 inches+ of travel.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 at 9:04 Quote
i've got cove g-spot 2005 , nice bike , strong , good handling....i ride it most of the time for AM
giant reign x is also A good bike ( chris smith said that) hehe....

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
I ride a khyber and it a blast!!!

Posted: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:43 Quote
i ride an sx trail for fr dh and general trails hard work on the climbs but i am 37 yrs old!!!!

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
I ride on a Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki freeride bike.. awesome

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
My Specialized Stumpjumper FSR has 5" of travel and handles freeride fine. I mean if you think about it, if a jump is built right you should be able to hit it on a hardtail.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011293
Mobile Version of Website