does the disc spin faster than the tire?????????

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
does the disc spin faster than the tire?????????
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
help me two of my friends have been argueing abouthis one of my friends says the disc spins faster than the tire so it will keep up the other totally disagrees and says that cause they are mounted together so they have to spin at same speedVery confused Confused Mad

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
dirtyspoon wrote:
help me two of my friends have been argueing abouthis one of my friends says the disc spins faster than the tire so it will keep up the other totally disagrees and says that cause they are mounted together so they have to spin at same speedVery confused Confused Mad
they spin at the same speed durrrrr

The tire and disc spin at exactly the same speed.

EDIT: beat me to it..

They spin equally

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
I hope your friend was joking.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 17:54 Quote
mtbdarren318 wrote:
I hope your friend was joking.
Me too cuz thats just sad.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
actually in a way ur all wrong if u were to put a rotary tachometer on the edge of the rotor and the edge of the tire u would actually see that the outside edge of the tire will be spinning faster but the rotor and the tire have the same amount of rotations so thats y one friend thinks one thing and the other friends says different

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
Same RPM. Different outer speed.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
dirtyspoon wrote:

Ok, YES, they spin at the same RPM, but technically the tires outside circumference IS going faster. Think of 2 cars, one on a small track, one on a larger track. The one on the larger outside track HA to go faster to keep on the same lap as the car on the smaller track.

You're both right!

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
Good point. But what if his friend din't know about that?

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
Since speed is the measure of distance over time, due to its larger diamter the tire would be spinning faster.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
one point on the tire is moving faster than one point on the outer edge of the rotor. buyt they are moving at the same rpm

haha i almost included the terms cutting speeds in that one
machinists will know what im talking about

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
Mach252 wrote:
Good point. But what if his friend din't know about that?
then it would be sad lol

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
blackXLabel13 wrote:
one point on the tire is moving faster than one point on the outer edge of the rotor. buyt they are moving at the same rpm

i understood lol

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
azonicflyer wrote:
blackXLabel13 wrote:

i understood lol
haha

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010087
Mobile Version of Website