Vancouver

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 20:19 Quote
I got yelled at hard by some a*shole when I was in Marin county. Found some trail right near my airbnb and decided to go for an easy ride with my girlfriend and some dude threatened to call the sheriff to arrest me for unlawfully traveling on trails or some shit. I was very nice and apologetic, told him I was a tourist and didn't know the area, even showed him the trailforks map that clearly said the trail was authorized for mtb use in the description. Didn't care. Get off our land.

I emailed the dude who runs the Marin county mtb scene or whatever and guy sounded like he had given up years ago and there's nothing that can be done.

In Vancouver the only grumpy old man you'll see is Digger on Mt Fromme. Once he gets his knees back, that is. And he won't be grumpy. Unless you tell him his trails suck. Which you wont, because they're awesome. I rode fromme probably hundreds of times my few years living there and he was there 100% of the time. Without fail. Red truck parked either at the bottom of Bobsled or up on one of the switchbacks depending what he was working on.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 20:44 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I got yelled at hard by some a*shole when I was in Marin county. Found some trail right near my airbnb and decided to go for an easy ride with my girlfriend and some dude threatened to call the sheriff to arrest me for unlawfully traveling on trails or some shit. I was very nice and apologetic, told him I was a tourist and didn't know the area, even showed him the trailforks map that clearly said the trail was authorized for mtb use in the description. Didn't care. Get off our land.

I emailed the dude who runs the Marin county mtb scene or whatever and guy sounded like he had given up years ago and there's nothing that can be done.

In Vancouver the only grumpy old man you'll see is Digger on Mt Fromme. Once he gets his knees back, that is. And he won't be grumpy. Unless you tell him his trails suck. Which you wont, because they're awesome. I rode fromme probably hundreds of times my few years living there and he was there 100% of the time. Without fail. Red truck parked either at the bottom of Bobsled or up on one of the switchbacks depending what he was working on.

I can't wait...

I saw Digger when I rode Fromme last Nov (another rider I ran into pointed him out to me and told me his story). I yelled "Thank you" and he yelled back "No,thank you for mountain biking"..so that guy probably put an extra lap in my wings with that answer..not grumpy.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 11:00 Quote
I have power tools and an air compressor and was planning on using them infrequently in my condo. Maybe set up sawhorses on the patio or my parking spot for a few hours on the weekend. Maybe 3-4 times a year. I was told if I try to do this in North Van my strata neighbors are going to sh*t bricks and complain and they will fine me...for serious?!?

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
need to check the Strata By-Laws

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
Oh yeah...people do not eff around with strata rules in Vancouver. It's the most expensive city in this country and of course the rich people who can afford such things (to then rent out to regular folk at a nice profit) do not like anything out of the ordinary.

I don't know if this is true but a friend told me you can store your bike at Hub and do any maintenance and stuff there for a reasonable rate. Easier than trying to disguise your bike as a piece of furniture to move in and out of your place. Most places don't allow bikes in the units, either.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 14:40 Quote
I won't buy a place that won't allow bikes. We have 5 bikes. That's just insane.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 18:15 Quote
Thanks to all of you with providing me with good info. I'm a little bit in shock hearing it's normal for people not to be allowed to put thier bikes in thier homes. I mean, I assume many of us have pretty expensive bikes and tools and a workstand and maybe occasionally build wheels. I have an air compressor to install tubeless tires and it's loud as can be. So how does that work?

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 18:20 Quote
I think you're supposed to move into your van.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 21:16 Quote
I live in a house and have a garage so can't help you with that. I do know many people who live in their owned units and have bikes in their apartments. So it's dependent from building to building

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
jlizard wrote:
Thanks to all of you with providing me with good info. I'm a little bit in shock hearing it's normal for people not to be allowed to put thier bikes in thier homes. I mean, I assume many of us have pretty expensive bikes and tools and a workstand and maybe occasionally build wheels. I have an air compressor to install tubeless tires and it's loud as can be. So how does that work?

I rented a bottom level of a house and had access to a yard and garage. And my landlord let me keep our 6 bikes and gear in there. Otherwise I would have sold half the fleet and kept my mtb and road bike in the house. There's no way I could live in a condo with all my skis, bikes, gear, etc. Wouldn't have worked. I got really lucky with my place.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 16:04 Quote
jlizard wrote:
I won't buy a place that won't allow bikes. We have 5 bikes. That's just insane.

Check the strata by-laws (or ask the landlord if renting). There are some condo buildings that explicitly disallow bikes in the units (justification is damage/dirtying common property like elevators and walls/floors in hallways). I agree it's dumb but it's pretty common here.

Air compressor in a condo? Maybe, gonna depend on neighbours and how often/long you are using it. Setting up tires now and then for a few minutes during normal daytime hours, probably not an issue. 2 hours of use at 11pm while killing beers the night before Whistler? Not gonna fly.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 17:35 Quote
gramboh wrote:
jlizard wrote:

Check the strata by-laws (or ask the landlord if renting). There are some condo buildings that explicitly disallow bikes in the units (justification is damage/dirtying common property like elevators and walls/floors in hallways). I agree it's dumb but it's pretty common here.

Air compressor in a condo? Maybe, gonna depend on neighbours and how often/long you are using it. Setting up tires now and then for a few minutes during normal daytime hours, probably not an issue. 2 hours of use at 11pm while killing beers the night before Whistler? Not gonna fly.

Thanks. Yea, I only expect reasonable use. Here in my single family home I don't run it after 9:30pm. I also expect I'm going to have to get a townhouse with a personal entrance and not a communal entry.

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
Spanish guy looking to move to North Vancouver, trying to rent a room
Anyone knows any websites to search for rooms? Yeah I have tried craigslist and some weird ones
Anyone on here renting a room for no more than 700cad?
Thanks!

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
Hey, maybe someone can help me. I will do a biketrip to canada with two friends for three weeks from the end of june.
We just don´t want to carry around our bikebags in the rental car the whole time.
Does anyone know a place in Vancouver where we can store them for a fair price?
Thank you!! Smile

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
MeisterLampe wrote:
Hey, maybe someone can help me. I will do a biketrip to canada with two friends for three weeks from the end of june.
We just don´t want to carry around our bikebags in the rental car the whole time.
Does anyone know a place in Vancouver where we can store them for a fair price?
Thank you!! Smile

I would enquire at endlessbiking.com

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018473
Mobile Version of Website