Best V-brakes for trials

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Best V-brakes for trials
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
What are the best V-brakes for trials, and are there any pads that out do others?

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 9:26 Quote
You have a crazy avatar pic. Eek

I run the avid sl brake and levers. They are the lightest and pretty cheap. I have had it for about 6 months and no problems so far. The Avid ultimates are nice too but expensive. But over all, all the avid v-brakes work well.
As for pads it depends on if you want a clean or ground rim. I currently run plazmatic red crv's with a light grind. Stock pads actually work good on a clean rim, but i find they wont hold for big moves. Plazmatic crv's (the red ones) work good on a clean rim too and hold really well. If there is any dust or contaminats though, they wont work. You can always use good ol tar to do the job as well. Just dont ride in wet conditions.
If you grind your rim: For a light grind use plazmatic crv red pads, and for a rough grind use blue rock pads.

Oh, if you want the best feeling v-brakes ever. Get the Jagwire ripcord cable and housing kit. tup

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
for the economical way - avid sl or sd7 with regular cables and housing (or even flak jacket will be ok too). the best would either be Nokon or XTR cables and housing with Avid ultimate arms.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
Nokon = poo Razz and xtr isn't compressionless.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
nokon isn't that bad come on! fine whatever go with flak jacket or full metal jacket!

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
i v got hidro v's and there so good they bend the frame if you pull hard

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
Care to elaborate what "hidro v's" are, brand etc, or just post crap?

Most brakes bend the frame too......... hence the use of brake boosters.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 14:47 Quote
lol "hidro v's" eh?

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
HS33 is the best v-brake...teehee. I rode v-brakes for years, just switched back to HS33, waaay better.

Just my opinion...

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:27 Quote
or the dengura!

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
The echo control brake is really nice for about a month. After that it is a giant peice of crap( lots of leaks ). The lines are WAY too brittle as well.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
well the first gen ones were pretty crappy, i was assured by hugo that the problems were resolved. i guess we'll find out...

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
chronic-poker wrote:
Care to elaborate what "hidro v's" are, brand etc, or just post crap?

Most brakes bend the frame too......... hence the use of brake boosters.

Magura HS33's, they're hydro rim brakes, and yes, they're about as good as it gets, though not the cheapest.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
trialsinmachine wrote:
The echo control brake is really nice for about a month. After that it is a giant peice of crap( lots of leaks ). The lines are WAY too brittle as well.

I have the updated 2 gen echo control brake on the rear of my mod. I have been riding it for over a year and have only replaced one part. The replaced part in question was the cross over line. Deng has not upgraded the lines so they are quite brittle but there is a word that Echo will be offering a control upgrade kit. This kit would include a full set of steel braided lines for the brake eliminating the brittle lines.

Also the Control brake is much easyer in my experience to bleed than the traditional Magura HS series brakes.

Also the brake has never leaked on me and has never had a problem aside from the TPA adjuster is allowed to over extend from the lever so you must watch for that when you ride. How ever if the brake is set-up properly you should not have to use the TPA.

Brant Inglis.
Mountain Monkey Cycle

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
Well, its good its working for you. I just know of a guy who had one of his slaves crack open. And a couple guys here he have had the seals wear out very quickly on them.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011465
Mobile Version of Website