would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame, like a fox dhx 5 (8.75) on a kona stinky (8.5) lenght eye to eye

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 6:01 Quote
thethrillbill wrote:
would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame,

No.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
driver-bob wrote:
thethrillbill wrote:

No.
why not? its on my bike and it seems oK, but i have a 8.5 coil spring on the 8.75 shock

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
the i2i is 0.25" too long, your BB and HT angle will be thrown out of whack.

It's also moving the suspension past the point where it is designed to work properly.

Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
thethrillbill wrote:
driver-bob wrote:
thethrillbill wrote:

No.
why not? its on my bike and it seems oK, but i have a 8.5 coil spring on the 8.75 shock

It may work depending on the shock if that is your setup, but im assuming you spent more than $30 on your shock so then it prolly wont work.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 10:50 Quote
[Quote="number24"]
thethrillbill wrote:

It may work depending on the shock if that is your setup, but im assuming you spent more than $30 on your shock so then it prolly wont work.

What part of a 0.25" i2i difference will work? Changing the brand of shock doesn't change the length of an inch, or parts there-of.

If his bike is designed around an 8.5" i2i shock with fixed mount positions an 8.75" i2i shock is too big.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:24 Quote
It depends on whether or not the the shock itself will 'shrink' to the size of the spring, like if the shock was a damper on a car.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:29 Quote
number24 wrote:
It depends on whether or not the the shock itself will 'shrink' to the size of the spring, like if the shock was a damper on a car.

No it doesn't.

The longer i2i of the new shock will raise the bb, create a steeper ht angle, and throw off the geometry of the bike. It can also put excess stress on the shock.

number24, stop talking about things you don't know about, I've seen you do it in multiple threads.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
thethrillbill wrote:
would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame, like a fox dhx 5 (8.75) on a kona stinky (8.5) lenght eye to eye

you can use it mate, yeah it will steepen the head angle...but by a fraction...not enough to notice anyway, ignor all these sayin it wont work, because it will..Smile

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
number24 wrote:

So thats where I've been going wrong....

I should have put it in the washing machine on a "hot wash" and then put it in the drier on a hot cycle to shrink it....FFS.

Run any shock absorber, be it on a car or a bike at an incorrect setting and something will get FUBAR'd, no question, no argument.

That'll be why your Honda Civic bounces around all over the place.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
jackariusjones wrote:
thethrillbill wrote:

you can use it mate, yeah it will steepen the head angle...but by a fraction...not enough to notice anyway, ignor all these sayin it wont work, because it will..Smile

I give up....do what the hell you like OP.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
thethrillbill wrote:
driver-bob wrote:
thethrillbill wrote:

No.

then y did u ask if it would FIT if you already put it on

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
It could work I threw on a .25 larger eye to eye and slightly larger stroke on my old 05 atomic as well as put on a larger travel fork to compensate for the larger shock rides the same with more cush now... Think about it in the way that some frames have different shock mount settings old bighit forsay..... same deal, the answer is yes you can only if the frame can take it from the sounds of it your fine.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
jf951 wrote:
thethrillbill wrote:
driver-bob wrote:

No.

then y did u ask if it would FIT if you already put it on
well the question is, is it gonna break my bike? when im gonna land is it gonna blow up because its 0.25 too long??? I measured it and by slacking the coil which will increase the sag the lenght becomes pretty much 8.5 eye to eye. Anyways does it help to say its on a kona stinky? The 4-bar linkage only goes so much backward then it stops.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
No its not gunna break your frame..... 4 bar has plenty of room to work right

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012219
Mobile Version of Website