would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
would a 8.75 inch rear shock fit properly on a 8.5 frame
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:58 Quote
well ive got a 888 up front and with the 0.25 of exra lenght i dont think the ht angle and the bb will that affected that my bike will like a canadian tire bike, anyways dont bikes like commencal and scott have adjustable headtubes? Ill just move my crowns more upwards to the lines.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
just to set the record straight to fit the shock i had to let the air out of the shock, bolt it on the frame then repump it with about 150 psi and it work great. After i messed with the knobs and coil to set a smooth ride and match my front suspension.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 20:08 Quote
Ok, first off, no offence to everyone, but you all need to stop talking out of your asses. The bike was designed for a 8.5x2.5 shock. If it could take a 8.75x2.75 shock, then it would have came with one. The fact of the matter is that the deeper stroke will cause the frame to bottom out at a point lower than it was designed to do. Also, the increase in i2i length can cause high stress areas on the shock mounts, as well as stress on the shock itself. As mentioned by driver-bob, who was 100% correct, just because it fits, doesnt mean it works.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 1:09 Quote
but on a technical matter that extra .25 stroke and .25 eye to eye would cause the shock to still bottom out in the exacte same place as the 2.5 stroker, and the extra eye to eye he can make up in sag.... there for frame sits in the same as a stock shock would, its just a matter of the links all working right which in his frame it does..

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
flowrider3 wrote:
but on a technical matter that extra .25 stroke and .25 eye to eye would cause the shock to still bottom out in the exacte same place as the 2.5 stroker, and the extra eye to eye he can make up in sag.... there for frame sits in the same as a stock shock would, its just a matter of the links all working right which in his frame it does..

That is what i meant in my previous post, i just worded it in a seriously stupid way.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 6:36 Quote
what if he put his old coil on it?
wouldnt th shock compress to fit the old coil? and therefore the old i2i?

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 6:55 Quote
best way to check is to undo the top mounting bolt and lift the rear of the bike if you have 6mm difference then it will work.

as for bottoming out to quickly it wont happen due to the lower portion of the shock being the same size as the original,all your gonna do is steepen the whole bike by 18mm in the rear.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 11:05 Quote
The reason I had to compress it was that the chain guide mount was in the way, so I fixed that up and now I can put the shock right in with no problem because the linkage went back a 0.25 more. Nothing touches nowhere so I see no problems and why would it put more pressure of the shock and mounts if the shock isnt trying to get the full 8.75 when now it has it? The bb went up and the head tube is a bit steeper but by 1 or 2 degrees more, no real big changes. Let me ask you this if I had lets say a 24 inch rear, would that affect the bb and the ht? yes. And apart of that your telling me it wont fit and stuff but what will happen except the small geometry change and the suppose pressure on the shock?

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
Can I put an 8.5 shock on my 8.75 frame??

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011049
Mobile Version of Website