Identifying Scammers

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Identifying Scammers
Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 18:15 Quote
I got a second attempt from number 7726179454 this morning. He tried to scam me with the same number back in September. He opened the conversation with "Hey good day, do you still have your Trek Fuel EX 8, Bike - $2300 for sale?" Funny thing is he used the exact same sentence when he hit me up in Sept. I called him out on it and he denied having ever texted me previously. Be careful out there!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
i am looking at a bike and im worried it is a scam because i was looking at the comment and someone said "scam scam scam scam" could someone tell me if i should be worried

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
Another user: whatisit

Wanted to purchase an item and asked for PayPal email to pay. After provided, started receiving phishing emails noted as coming from "Pinkbike communications" made to look like an email notification from Pinkbike telling me there was a note in my inbox and to click on the link. Fortunately, these were identifiable as my Pinkbike email address and PayPal are different.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 16:48 Quote
What if everything is marked as sold for $1? They have a ton of items, but makes them all sold for $1. The ones still listed show regular pricing though.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/lucass/ is a scammer

lucass lied in his add for a wheel for sale. Said it was 148mm wide when its acutally 157mm wide.
Hasnt responded to any of my texts or messages on PB.
Deleted the add to remove any evidence, why not just mark it sold?

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 20:23 Quote
So the saga of the wheel sale by the scammer @lucass continues. Where we last left off I was trying to figure out if he did indeed list the wheel at 148mm wide hub in his add. He took down the add right after I paid him cash for the wheel. As such I couldn’t Verify that he lied in his add but this has since been verified by one of the moderators.

So I removed the freshly applied decals from the rim and not surprisingly there was a solid crack coming off one of the spoke holes. @lucass had a picture on his add for the wheel where it had no decals on it. The crack was large enough that you couldn’t NOT see it. So then he applies new decals over top of the crack and lists the wheel for sale.

So he knowingly covers up a crack in an Enve rim with decals so it would sell as an item in good condition.
Then in an effort to make the rim more sellable he lies in the add to say it is 148mm wide hub which is a very common hub spacing on modern trail bikes rather than tell the truth that it is the much less popular 157mm wide hub used on DH bikes.

The whole thing is pre-meditated, deceptive, and dangerous….what if someone had ridden the wheel and hurt themselves due to wheel failure?

His whole aim was to deceive and take the money and run.

I cannot overstate how much you should NOT trust @Lucass

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 8:32 Quote
Avoid this guy.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/ollydon/

Purchased the fork he had for sale and he went radio silent. Won't respond to my messages and never sent me a tracking number. Had to open a dispute with PayPal.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 15:16 Quote
Anyone get this message in your inbox? I got it twice and I'm not clicking any links till I confirm.

Conversation "User Verification" with Support-id1920

---------

Hello, this is your Pinkbike Staff employee speaking with you

Due to an update to our payment system and global security update, order processing for your account is currently suspended!

You will need to identify your store. As soon as this is done, it will be back up and running normally. Please fill out this form to verify your store: 2no.co/2K20G4
Sincerely, Pinkbike Staff.

------

FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 13:39 Quote
Same for me, 2 messages

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 9:17 Quote
deannec wrote:
Seems as though there are a few people out there that have no clue when a scammer is contacting them. There are a few things to watch for when you have something on the buy/sell.

1. If the messages says "Dear Seller" it's almost always a scammer. They send out mass e-mails so it's mainly kept generic.
2. They keep refering to your item for sale as an "item". Take a hint when they don't say what you're selling in your post.
3. The item you're selling is always in bold, brackets or quoted. eg. I'm interested in your (fork), I see that you have a "bike" for sale.
4. Double check their join dates/forum posts/comments/friends. Odds are if they joined up 1 hour ago with no friends, forum posts, or comments they've just come on to scam you.
5. They're from Nigeria and buying it for a friend.

Just keep your eye out. You don't want to be giving out your phone number and address to just anyone on the internet. Try using paypal as much as possible so if you do get scammed out of your product you might be able to get your money back. Any other red flags you can think of just post them up.

Thanks, the pinkbike team

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 9:19 Quote
Support 1 (SupportGtTH9D) has sent you a message.
To read this message, follow the link below:
www.pinkbike.com/u/Kev80/mail/view/64106314/
Received this before I’m assuming it’s a scam?

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 10:42 Quote
Support8Gn23l says:

Dear Seller, Due to the increasing incidence of fraud on our platform, we have decided to verify your account through the bank. Failure to complete this verification process may result in the blocking of your account. Regards, Pinkbike Security. To complete the verification process, please click on the button: VERIFICATION

Haha check out this latest scammer

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 13:48 Quote
Just got this…

8 mins ago
PNKbike-id3683 says:

Dear Seller, Due to the increasing incidence of fraud on our platform, we have decided to verify your account through the bank. Failure to complete this verification process may result in the blocking of your account. Regards, Pinkbike Security. To complete the verification process, please click on the button: VERIFICATION

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013475
Mobile Version of Website