Dish washing tips, tricks, and suggestions?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Dish washing tips, tricks, and suggestions?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 11:49 Quote
Ok well today i did something that was kind of a joke for me. I walked into the mandarin (for those who don't know the mandarin is a big chain chinese buffet)and applied. This is the kind of thing i'd do on a dare, but i love the mandarin, i love chinese people, and i need a job so i thought either way it went i could still go on with life. It seemed they liked me and if they cant find someone else they may take me-but the position they put me down for was dishwasher. At my old job (Popeye's) i had to wash quite a bit of dishes but i think the amount served at a very busy chinese restaurant will be exponentially larger. Im still willing to give the job a try as i think i may grow to enjoy it. I know alot of people here around my age have similar jobs, so does anyone have any advice to pass on to someone just entering the profession?

Thank!

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 11:51 Quote
get out and get out fast! buffets mean 1000's of dish's and pans of dirty old food being replaced every couple of minutes

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 12:22 Quote
Heres a tip- Don't do it, unless your hurtin' for a job. I wash dishes, and it is far from a fun job- the only reason I am still doing it is because the staff there is pretty nice, and it is a Union job, so I am making decent money for being a dishwasher.

The food is always an upside, but doing dishes is far from something I think anybody could grow to enjoy.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 12:27 Quote
i worked as a kitchen porter for 4 years. there's no way i'd ever apply for a job at a chinese buffet place. buffet's are manicly busy. you'll have loads to do.

if your desperate for a job, go for it.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 12:32 Quote
i would have to agree with ustienny, but the only thing i can see as upsides is you may be able to learn how to cook and perhaps move up in the ladder if you choose. but otherwise if the pay is ok and you dont mind the job than try it out, if you hate it quit.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
i have no problems with the old dirty food w/e because at popeyes ive seen and cleaned up some of the most disgusting things ive seen in my life the madarin should be a walk in the park in terms of that. Im just worried about all those dishes, i will not do the job if the salary is any less than 8 dollars an hours, but more than that and i will definitley consider it. I would love to just try it out and see (i love a challenge) and i need a job-mind you not that desperate-but still some pocket change couldnt hurt. What did you people think of your jobs as dish washers and how long did you manage to stay? Also the people seem pretty cool...even though i cant understand a word they say.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
I've worked in a restaurant that also did weddings at the same time... death

Regardless you should wear grippy shoes... Not baggy pants... Last time I did both I tripped like 3 times and put a knife through my jeans... fortunately not my leg...

Dont be afraid to get you hands dirty. I hate people that will avoid at all costs to pick up the gunk clogging the drain cause it might feel icky... just go for it... I cant be that bad.

Before you carry something for a prolonged time make sure its not too hot.

Watch your footing... Stand away from the dish washing machine when opening... Steam + face = owwww

Don't eat food unless your sure its ok to do so...

Don't work too hard... this may sound stupid but sometimes I would go so hard trying to get everything done that I would nearly pass out from all the heat and exhaustion. Just take a minute of two to regain yourself.

I worked all summer and was fired right before school started... They scheduled me to work and didnt notify me so I didnt show up that day... lame but it didnt really care...

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 18:11 Quote
picking up gunk from the drain is the least of my worries...apart from gutting chicken pieces, washing dishes was my main job at popeye's and LOTS of stuff had to be pulled from the drainage...and when the days came that i had to clean out the garbage wheelbarrow (we yhad to wheelbarrow our crap to the dumpster because it was kind of far) oh boy was it bad and smelly and unsanitary to boot. I will probably buy some new shoes for the job if i get it-something with lots of padding because you are right about the prolonged standing time i think that will be the deal maker or breaker for me. I will try it out and see if its for me and await the day that the bikeshop next door fires and employee :d

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 21:05 Quote
I work as a dishwasher right now and I defiantly would not recomend it. I have a buffet every friday and there is tons of dishes, altought the buffet tastes goodSmile , its still extremely long. I have to hand dry EVERY single peice of of silverware( sometimes twice). Its at a Chinese restarunt so the owner's talk Chinese to eachother and I always think they are talking about me. Im quitting at the end of the month though. But if I were you, I wouldnt take the job.

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 21:07 Quote
Yeah.. Washing dishes sucks.. Ive done it at many jobs now

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 21:15 Quote
never ever let that dishwasher stop if theres more then one of u always have trays ready to go in and someone tosseing stuff away if its just u stay with to trays to go in and one clean tray coming out and while it cools fill up another tray then unload the clean ones. fast youll get fast. i used to wash dishes for a pizza joint as well as drive deliverys id be up till 2 oclock at night washing dishes when we had banquets

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 21:17 Quote
try to get a job at your bike shop in my opinion

Posted: Oct 20, 2007 at 22:36 Quote
at the beginning work your ass off and do everyone favors and shit and it will help you when you really need it.

1 thing that will help alot if when there is a LOT of dishes, organize them so itll be easier to rinse them off before putting them into the machine.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 9:41 Quote
I work as a disher at The Keg.
It sucks, but it can be extremely slack alot of the time. Alot of free food (both on the job, and after).

I have been there for about 2 months, it sucks balls.
The only reason im staying is because I should be moved up to Salads in 2 weeks.

If your going to be dishing for 8 months at a buffet, then f*ck it, thats brutal.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 9:48 Quote
MOBz wrote:
try to get a job at your bike shop in my opinion
Yeah, bike shops are where it's at.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009119
Mobile Version of Website