Hope Mono Moto 6 M6 Downhill DH MTB Disc Brake Brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hope Mono Moto 6 M6 Downhill DH MTB Disc Brake Brakes
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 8:07 Quote
Obviously we aren't going to settle anything based on opinion in the local setting. Sadly we don't have the luxury of trying dh brakes back to back to come out with a clear winner.

As for the Gustav (sorry I have to, I shelled out for it so I have to defend it) the design is antiquated, much in the same way the M6 was only until a year or so ago. They do need to machine some weight out of them, though they do have a great foundation to improve on. They have 2 moving pistons, not one, and the rails help aline the caliper under deformation during braking. Since they aline them selves on the rotor I don't have to worry about it. Yes they do rub but it is neglidgble the cost of adaptors sucks. They also work better (brake as a whole) if your a clyde-rider.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
Obviously we aren't going to settle anything based on opinion in the local setting. Sadly we don't have the luxury of trying dh brakes back to back to come out with a clear winner.

As for the Gustav (sorry I have to, I shelled out for it so I have to defend it) the design is antiquated, much in the same way the M6 was only until a year or so ago. They do need to machine some weight out of them, though they do have a great foundation to improve on. They have 2 moving pistons, not one, and the rails help aline the caliper under deformation during braking. Since they aline them selves on the rotor I don't have to worry about it. Yes they do rub but it is neglidgble the cost of adaptors sucks. They also work better (brake as a whole) if your a clyde-rider.

im sorry but not saying there rubbish or nothin so dont take this horrible but the gustav brakes are not the best looking compared avid codes, they are powerfull, gd looking and reliable so y choose gustavs when u could get codes which are probably just as gd maybe better

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
brnters wrote:
just get codes they are perfect for what you intend to do plus they are cheaper
i am with this guy..get codes.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
hopes are ace end of ive always had em on my bikes! although ive tryed avid and they are nice too but the hopes take the pot beacause they are better looking and qaulity made unlike avid that look cheap

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:

yes they have two moving pistons (sorry was at work previously so no time to check typo's and be clear in my wording) but the opposing piston is fixed (unless they changed that which would make me revise my opinion but http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm states otherwise). and agreeably they are the most powerful brake out there. however i will defend the m6's against them. the ti nitrate coated drilled out pistons (though have been known to push themselves out of the seal when pads are worn; but then the pads should have been replaced) where at the time, as much as the phenolic pistons now, are real step forwards in caliper design. the gustav m desgin is closer to a moto brake and at that very good. i do niggle the rubbyness of them, with the standpoint that in the uk dh is no long and sometimes a little flat, a bit of a bother.

also for the codes i give credit to avid (who before became part of sram where only 7 guys) are a good brake.

i suppose it is like comparing a dodge viper, a bmw and an aston martin db9; the latter comparing with the m6's are just that bit more refined.

but then again if you don't make your money with riding a bike, you have to go with that that serves your purpose and is the best bang for the buck.

i only opted for the m6 up front and the m4 at the back as i got the set from my lbs for 225 squid rather than the 300+ they were at the time.

all in all i still find that much can be done to improve mountainbike disc brakes as they require far too much mainentance compared to other items. take gears for example. they have moved a long way since things like shimano biopace rings.

i would love to see for more standards in the industry and yes competion in brands is good and patents push other companies to develop new ideas which we then get to test. us testing is the bad part. but heck this is the way the cooky crumbles, or in this case the way the rotor warps.

and 100% on your side; we will never agree. but this is a good thing as it brings diversity to the game and makes all just that little bit more compelling and we can truely dive into our chossen field of interest and apply our curiousty.

which is why i have stuck with this sport Smile other than being an adrenalin junky

ps first thread (for me anyways) on pinkbike which has really progressed in an exchange of knowledge without becomming dirty

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
Keit wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

yes they have two moving pistons (sorry was at work previously so no time to check typo's and be clear in my wording) but the opposing piston is fixed (unless they changed that which would make me revise my opinion but http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm states otherwise). and agreeably they are the most powerful brake out there. however i will defend the m6's against them. the ti nitrate coated drilled out pistons (though have been known to push themselves out of the seal when pads are worn; but then the pads should have been replaced) where at the time, as much as the phenolic pistons now, are real step forwards in caliper design. the gustav m desgin is closer to a moto brake and at that very good. i do niggle the rubbyness of them, with the standpoint that in the uk dh is no long and sometimes a little flat, a bit of a bother.

also for the codes i give credit to avid (who before became part of sram where only 7 guys) are a good brake.

i suppose it is like comparing a dodge viper, a bmw and an aston martin db9; the latter comparing with the m6's are just that bit more refined.

but then again if you don't make your money with riding a bike, you have to go with that that serves your purpose and is the best bang for the buck.

i only opted for the m6 up front and the m4 at the back as i got the set from my lbs for 225 squid rather than the 300+ they were at the time.

all in all i still find that much can be done to improve mountainbike disc brakes as they require far too much mainentance compared to other items. take gears for example. they have moved a long way since things like shimano biopace rings.

i would love to see for more standards in the industry and yes competion in brands is good and patents push other companies to develop new ideas which we then get to test. us testing is the bad part. but heck this is the way the cooky crumbles, or in this case the way the rotor warps.

and 100% on your side; we will never agree. but this is a good thing as it brings diversity to the game and makes all just that little bit more compelling and we can truely dive into our chossen field of interest and apply our curiousty.

which is why i have stuck with this sport Smile other than being an adrenalin junky

ps first thread (for me anyways) on pinkbike which has really progressed in an exchange of knowledge without becomming dirty

it only becomes dirty when you have brand whores,nice to have a grown up discussion for once.Salute

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
stevendh wrote:
im sorry but not saying there rubbish or nothin so dont take this horrible but the gustav brakes are not the best looking compared avid codes, they are powerfull, gd looking and reliable so y choose gustavs when u could get codes which are probably just as gd maybe better

No offense taken, they are utilitarian and do what they need to do. Didn't know dh was a fashion show. Make sure the next time you ride to watch out for the Gucci's through the puddles.

Keit: You are a delight on this site. It was a pleasure having the conversation with you. I hope to have more in the future which ever side we are on.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:01 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
stevendh wrote:

No offense taken, they are utilitarian and do what they need to do. Didn't know dh was a fashion show. Make sure the next time you ride to watch out for the Gucci's through the puddles.

Keit: You are a delight on this site. It was a pleasure having the conversation with you. I hope to have more in the future which ever side we are on.

your a complete twat, this is a thread for oppinions and yh ok dh bikes dont need to be gd looking but nobody wants there bike looking crap or funny looking, my oppinion is the gustavs look cheap and well overall SHIT !!!!! the codes are nice and look worth the money and also are powerfull and reliable

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
Keit wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

"i suppose it is like comparing a dodge viper, a bmw and an aston martin db9;" im thinking somebody watches a little too much of top gear

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
stevendh wrote:
your a complete twat, this is a thread for oppinions and yh ok dh bikes dont need to be gd looking but nobody wants there bike looking crap or funny looking, my oppinion is the gustavs look cheap and well overall SHIT !!!!! the codes are nice and look worth the money and also are powerfull and reliable

Hey, hey Versace take it easy. By the way, it's "good" not "gd".

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
stevendh wrote:

Hey, hey Versace take it easy. By the way, it's "good" not "gd".

hey it called i hav injury en have one hand atm so i cba 2 type too much

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
NEWS FLASH!
only being able to use one hand doesnt mess with your brain

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
Well LV, you don't need to rush.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:26 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
Well LV, you don't need to rush.

f*ck off both of u ur both losers hasseling a 16 year old jus cus i think codes are better then shitty gustavs, get a life !

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
thats what this thread is about though a man trying to figure out what brakes are the best for what he needs

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014793
Mobile Version of Website