Fitting 120mm travel forks on a bike set up for 100mm?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Fitting 120mm travel forks on a bike set up for 100mm?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
This is possible yeh?
IF so, would it completely bollox up the geometry or would it stil be allright..or maybe better Razz caus at the minute, I'm doing all my Dh on my G.t. Ruckus with crappy mazorocchi dirt jump comp's Frown and its not pleasent!
I was thinking about some fox 120mm machines?
Caus at the minute im actually finding it hard to hold onto the bike in some places!

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:04 Quote
should be fine. my bro runs 130mm forks on a hardtail designed for 100 and its fine.tup

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:07 Quote
yah go for it you'll be fine. your ruckus is designed to be tough so it can handle the extra less than an inch of travel

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
and the front wheel will come up a bit easier so good for bunnyhops and manuals

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
Keit wrote:
and the front wheel will come up a bit easier so good for bunnyhops and manuals

yah definitely. when i had an f100 on the front of my bike and i tried to manual i would loop out all the time. it almost makes it too light, but u get used to it

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:17 Quote
hey, not trying to hijack or anything, but you reckon i could do the same with my chucker ? i wont be putting anything good on though Razz

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
whats important to measure is the axle to crown height, not the travel. measure it on your old fork, and measure or look it up for the one you want. each inch extra in that height ruffly equates to about a 1 degree difference in head tube angle

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 9:22 Quote
dj82 wrote:
hey, not trying to hijack or anything, but you reckon i could do the same with my chucker ? i wont be putting anything good on though Razz

probably but what is a chucker designed for? if its on the beefier side and is designed for something like dj or free ride then sure u can put a bigger fork on. i put a 5 inch float on my specialized epic which was an extra inch over the stock 4 inch f100. this voids the warranty but nothing has happened to the bike and it rides much better. u just have to be willing to go out on a limb and try things

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:09 Quote
Schweet! TBH I thought It wouldn't be a good idea but youv changed me mind..
Now for the second part..what fork Big Grin
Any price..I'll be able to get it cheap second hand somwhere between now and christmas..

THe problem is.. I only really ride DH+FR, the tinyist bit of xc(normally to get to the Dh trails) and the tiniest bit of DJ..

But all the forks of this size are geared towards xc use Frown Frown

IT'l be class if the front end comes up alot easierBig Grin !! it's a real dog to get up at the minute.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
-Monty- wrote:
Schweet! TBH I thought It wouldn't be a good idea but youv changed me mind..
Now for the second part..what fork Big Grin
Any price..I'll be able to get it cheap second hand somwhere between now and christmas..

THe problem is.. I only really ride DH+FR, the tinyist bit of xc(normally to get to the Dh trails) and the tiniest bit of DJ..

But all the forks of this size are geared towards xc use Frown Frown

IT'l be class if the front end comes up alot easierBig Grin !! it's a real dog to get up at the minute.

id say either afox talas 32 if u want to go quick release or a pike if u want thru axle. both are longer travel but can be set at ur desired 120

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:12 Quote
pike all the way. thats a proven fork when it comes to bashing

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
epicbiker wrote:
dj82 wrote:

probably but what is a chucker designed for? if its on the beefier side and is designed for something like dj or free ride then sure u can put a bigger fork on. i put a 5 inch float on my specialized epic which was an extra inch over the stock 4 inch f100. this voids the warranty but nothing has happened to the bike and it rides much better. u just have to be willing to go out on a limb and try things
the chucker is a dj bike, the frame is quite beefy (look in profile 4 pics). i just dont wanna risk ripping th headtube cuz its my only offroad bike, i'll have to deal with a bmx for everything if i do.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
pike all the way. thats a proven fork when it comes to bashing

well there u go. a good fork that u can lower for dj and riding to ur dh and raise for dh. theyre decently light and are very strong. and depending on ur particular bike and color scheme u can get them in a variety of colors

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
dj82 wrote:
epicbiker wrote:
dj82 wrote:

the chucker is a dj bike, the frame is quite beefy (look in profile 4 pics). i just dont wanna risk ripping th headtube cuz its my only offroad bike, i'll have to deal with a bmx for everything if i do.

trust me u wont rip the headtube on that bike by putting on a fork with almost an inch more travel. thats a beefy looking frame

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
[Quote]

id say either afox talas 32 if u want to go quick release or a pike if u want thru axle. both are longer travel but can be set at ur desired 120[/Quote]

What do you mean by this?
You mean you can buy them at 120mm or you have to do some aftermarket stuff to them to bring them down to 120?

I would like a fox..after testing my mates 36 float..but, if the pike is the stronger fork then I'll go forr it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011310
Mobile Version of Website