What is a chainstay?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What is a chainstay?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
Im just wondering what the hell a chainstay is, and how its positioning changes a bikes rideability. Thanks!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
Ryde4Lyef wrote:
Im just wondering what the hell a chainstay is, and how its positioning changes a bikes rideability. Thanks!
the chainstay is between the BB shell and the drop out! on a dually is makes a difference

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:13 Quote
And on a hardtail it is easier to manual if you have a shorter chainstay.

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
the chain stay is the part of the frame thats nearest to your chain, and often gets big gashes in it from your chain hitting it. often people have something covering there chainstay to protect it from the chain hitting it.

also the shorter it is makes it easier to lift the front end of the bike because it puts the rear wheel more forward which makes it easier to move your center of gravity behind it when you lean back

also the metaltubing above the chain stay that comes to a point with it at the end of the frame where the dropouts are, is call a seat-stay.

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:24 Quote
seaplusplus wrote:
the chain stay is the part of the frame thats nearest to your chain, and often gets big gashes in it from your chain hitting it. often people have something covering there chainstay to protect it from the chain hitting it.

also the shorter it is makes it easier to lift the front end of the bike because it puts the rear wheel more forward which makes it easier to move your center of gravity behind it when you lean back

also the metaltubing above the chain stay that comes to a point with it at the end of the frame where the dropouts are, is call a seat-stay.
Thank you soo much! The first explanation that made sense! Thanks!

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 at 22:59 Quote
haha your very welcome

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
is the other one on the other side (non drive side)considered a chainstay also?

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
Leftwing29 wrote:
is the other one on the other side (non drive side)considered a chainstay also?
yes each bike has 2 Chainstays and 2 seatstays

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
photoguy9 wrote:
Leftwing29 wrote:
is the other one on the other side (non drive side)considered a chainstay also?
yes each bike has 2 Chainstays and 2 seatstays
Thank you!tup

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
chainstays can change the handling of a bike in a few ways, shorter chainstays make your bke easier to manual and spin but can make the bike less predictable at speed and in the air
longer chainstays make the bike stable, but make the bike harder to spin and manual and harder to mount on some bike racks too

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
2899038

2899038


that should clear things up

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 8:48 Quote
the-lunatic wrote:
2899038
2899038

that should clear things up

thank you and goodnight. I think that ends it.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008570
Mobile Version of Website