Racing with a flat tire/no tire

PB Forum :: Downhill
Racing with a flat tire/no tire
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 8:33 Quote
-nate- wrote:
triptex wrote:
I don't think you would want to let your sponsors down but I also think some sponsors would respect you for not needlessly destroying equipment (depending on the race and where the flat occurred)

Dude, you're talking about a rim like it's made of gold or something - it's just an effing wheel. If you want to baby your equipment then dh racing isn't for you. Finishing with a flat is 10 times better than stopping and DNF'ing and walking to the finish because you don't want to damage a wheel. It's like not playing in the sand box cause you don't want to get dirt under your finger nails. Finishing the race is the best thing you could do under any circumstances. Finishing a race and throwing a fist in the air to show you are pleased with your result, regardless of your finish, is a salute to the organizers and fellow racers, and a huge sign of your sportsmanship, sponsors would love that. I have finished flat many times, 2 years in a row at Panorama, one year I rear flatted 50 meters out of the start gate, still finished.

nate

I don't baby my gear I'm just throwing around ideas.

Do you think every world cup racer will finish a race on a flat? Would your finish a psychosis run after flatting 50m from the start?

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 8:54 Quote
triptex wrote:
Inspired by a recent photo on PB I've been thinking about what it means for someone to finish a race with a flat tire or to accept defeat/technical failure.

I understand some people see this as "dedication" because you are unwilling to accept the fact that your most likely gonna lose. Concluding that accepting defeat is a personal failure and your not as dedicated as the another race who kills his wheel.

I'm under the impression that if you need to finish the race to gain points for an overall season total or if you only plan to ever enter one race you might as well finish it. I dont think that its always worth the cost of another rim.

I dont believe that every World Cup racer who gets a flat will complete the race. Sponsors send people to races so they can win and represent the company not just prove they can finish.

Racing is about speed and victory.

I've entered races crashed hard and completed them just for personal pride but for some reason I dont see riding flat out with out a tire as the same thing.

Maybe I just dont see this the same way everyone else does.

I dont care if I get flamed I'm just looking for a good discussion.

Here is the photo that sparked this.
photo
i think you comment about the pros not finnishing is bull. greg minnaar lost his front brake at the top of the track in the worlds test event and rode to finnish 8th, remember last year at fort william, he rode the last 20min 20seconds at fort william worlds with a broken shoulder. thats only him, they have more drive to win/finnish the race than any of you or i.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
Cool thanks, I respect your opinion.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 Quote
triptex wrote:
sorry man, i mighta come across a bit aggressive or confrontational.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:06 Quote
stabdee661 wrote:
triptex wrote:
sorry man, i mighta come across a bit aggressive or confrontational.

Not at all. I understand some people think I'm wrong. I never claimed to be right Smile I just want to hear other peoples opinions.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:08 Quote
triptex wrote:
Not at all. I understand some people think I'm wrong. I never claimed to be right Smile I just want to hear other peoples opinions.

This forum needs to replace 80% of it's userbase with people like you.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
triptex wrote:

This forum needs to replace 80% of it's userbase with people like you.

Thanks lol.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
you finish the race always...
1. It looks like crap on resumes.
2. Sponsors dont want people who cant finish
3. If its a points series title your chasing, one dnf and your screwed, you have to keep yourself close to the top at all costs

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:
3. If its a points series title your chasing, one dnf and your screwed, you have to keep yourself close to the top at all costs
this is perfect, you never want a DNF, ever, i cost you points and looks way bad

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:23 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:

All good points. #3 is the strongest IMO. I guess if your looking for sponsors showing the guts to kill a wheel might give them something to think about.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
PinoyBraden wrote:
konarrider2007 wrote:
this is perfect, you never want a DNF, ever, i cost you points and looks way bad
id rather spend the 50 bucks to get a new rim laced than to be sitting 10th in points... those who dont finish, its cause you have no heart and no pride... i watched CG at snowshoe barrel through the nasty rock gardens with a flat.. and snowshoe has the most legendary rock gardens anywhere.. all you here is clack clack clack and still hauling ass

FL
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
triptex wrote:

Do you think every world cup racer will finish a race on a flat? Would your finish a psychosis run after flatting 50m from the start?

Haha, luckily I have always managed to keep air in my tires during the Psychosis....although last year about 6 minutes in to the race my deraileur went into the spokes and totally ripped everything apart. My wheel was locked up cause there was so much chain jammed behind the cassette, couldn't coast. I walked about 10 minutes until I found a course marshall with a chain break tool - took everything off so I could coaster bike it.....still finished with a time of 29 something, but hey, I beat one guy, and beat every other guy that dnf'd. For me, finishing is the first goal at every race I do, placing well is second.

nate

FL
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:34 Quote
photo

This is after taking off the chain and broken deraileur.....last place based on time, first place based on style haha.

nate

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
-nate- wrote:
triptex wrote:

Haha, luckily I have always managed to keep air in my tires during the Psychosis....although last year about 6 minutes in to the race my deraileur went into the spokes and totally ripped everything apart. My wheel was locked up cause there was so much chain jammed behind the cassette, couldn't coast. I walked about 10 minutes until I found a course marshall with a chain break tool - took everything off so I could coaster bike it.....still finished with a time of 29 something, but hey, I beat one guy, and beat every other guy that dnf'd. For me, finishing is the first goal at every race I do, placing well is second.

nate

Sweet. Psychosis is a race worth finishing at almost any cost. Did you have enough coasting speed to make the gap?

I've never really been in one of these situations... I'm not too sure what I would do. Most likely ride since I'll kill the wheel even if it has a tire.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
-nate- wrote:
photo

This is after taking off the chain and broken deraileur.....last place based on time, first place based on style haha.

nate

I guess that answers my question lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012413
Mobile Version of Website