Drops to Flat

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 21:54 Quote
With today's trend towards slopestyle it seems that drops to flat are a dying breed. Less and less trails are beginning to feature drops to flat, and more and more riders are seeing them as uncool.

Call me oldschool, but drops to flat are my favorite features on the trail. I like a challenge, and drops to tranny are just too smooth, and barely use any suspension whatsoever. It just feels kind of weird.

To make up for this I began to modify local trails to my needs. I made most of the landing perfectly flat, and to add some variety I even made one of the drops have an uphill land.

Unfortunately, the locals didn't take this so well. In fact, they left a note beside the drop after they remade the tranny saying they will "kick my ass" if I change them again. I don't want to piss them off, but I need to do some gnarly high impact drops, and those just arn't doing it for me.

Somebody please help.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
then make some your self?

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
well first off you shouldnt even be changing local trails that you didnt build if you dont ask some people first, they will get angy. maybe what you could do is clear a bit off the side of the trail and make your orn landings, like if there wwas a wooden raised platform, with teh angled landing straight off it, make a flatter landing on the side of the steeper landin then just go off the drop on an angle so you hit your landing and not theirs

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 22:00 Quote
go to kamloops and hit up the jaw dropBig Grin

1. very high impact
2. if u land it u can say "i beat bender"
3. plz film and put on pb

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
canadianbeaver wrote:
With today's trend towards slopestyle it seems that drops to flat are a dying breed. Less and less trails are beginning to feature drops to flat, and more and more riders are seeing them as uncool.

Call me oldschool, but drops to flat are my favorite features on the trail. I like a challenge, and drops to tranny are just too smooth, and barely use any suspension whatsoever. It just feels kind of weird.

To make up for this I began to modify local trails to my needs. I made most of the landing perfectly flat, and to add some variety I even made one of the drops have an uphill land.

Unfortunately, the locals didn't take this so well. In fact, they left a note beside the drop after they remade the tranny saying they will "kick my ass" if I change them again.

TL;DR - You're a troll. Blank Stare

Oh, and P.S: Go drop off your house. That's a pretty sick drop to flat. Maybe we'll even get lucky and you'll die.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:

Oh, and P.S: Go drop off your house. That's a pretty sick drop to flat. Maybe we'll even get lucky and you'll die.

Uh TL;DR?-What does that mean.

And no, I am not a troll.

This is exactly what I mean. Drops to flat have become so uncool that you have to be a "troll" to like them. And was that comment about me dying really necessary?

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'll be hitting up the jaw drop any time soon.:P

PS-Bender's my hero.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 22:31 Quote
hucks to flat are gross unless you want to show somone you are a man

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 22:33 Quote
canadianbeaver wrote:
JokerMachine wrote:

This is exactly what I mean. Drops to flat have become so uncool that you have to be a "troll" to like them. And was that comment about me dying really necessary?

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'll be hitting up the jaw drop any time soon.:P

PS-Bender's my hero.
jokermachine, i like dropping a few things to flat, so respect others opinions, they are entitled to them you know, its fun if you do it occasionally, and doing street not everything has a conveniently placed downramp at the bottom of every staircase

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 23:08 Quote
canadianbeaver wrote:

PS-Bender's my hero.

TL;DR means Too Long, Didn't Read. That's my way of telling everyone that they don't have to read all of what you wrote to understand that you're just a troll who's trying to stir up a fuss by writing about a topic that is universally hated by anyone who decently rides a mountain bike.

The whole story about remaking the drops at your local trail to flat landers, and your feigned attitude of being unable to understand why everyone hates them so much, is so cheesy and overdone, that you are obviously a troll.

A troll, of course, being a person who stirs up "drama" on the internet by posting something controversial/stupid/insulting and then watching everyone work themselves into a frenzy over it.

Strangely enough, the response so far has been mild, to tell you the truth. I'm just letting you know that I see through you.

P.S. Even Bender doesn't drop to flat.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 23:10 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
jokermachine, i like dropping a few things to flat, so respect others opinions, they are entitled to them you know, its fun if you do it occasionally, and doing street not everything has a conveniently placed downramp at the bottom of every staircase

Norco, I have no problem with the opinions of others, as long as they're real. I have done quite a few drops to flat myself (mostly street as well), on everything from BMX bikes to cheesy SuperCycles to my Slash. If you read my previous post (the one right above this one), you will see why I was so aggressive in terms of my previous statements.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 9:39 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
TL;DR means Too Long, Didn't Read. That's my way of telling everyone that they don't have to read all of what you wrote to understand that you're just a troll who's trying to stir up a fuss by writing about a topic that is universally hated by anyone who decently rides a mountain bike.

The whole story about remaking the drops at your local trail to flat landers, and your feigned attitude of being unable to understand why everyone hates them so much, is so cheesy and overdone, that you are obviously a troll.

A troll, of course, being a person who stirs up "drama" on the internet by posting something controversial/stupid/insulting and then watching everyone work themselves into a frenzy over it.

Strangely enough, the response so far has been mild, to tell you the truth. I'm just letting you know that I see through you.

P.S. Even Bender doesn't drop to flat.

People like you are the ones creating this problem.

How do you think mountain biking began? The first drops on the shore were much higher impact then the ones designed today. Just watch some older videos and see for yourself.

Have you ever watched any talented skateboarders, BMXers, or even street MTBers? Nearly everything they do is to flat, and they don't have near the same suspension to soften the impact. Sorry, but drops to flat are not as "universally hated" as you believe.

Am I not allowed to like drops to flat to be "someone who decently rides a mountain bike"? Sorry, but your opinions on things do not determine who "decently rides their bike" and who doesn't.

And no, Sherlock, I am not a troll. Try taking your clever detective work elsewhere.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 9:48 Quote
Most people dont like them, because hard landings and sudden jolts point towards a lack of skill.
In my opinion, the smoother you can do a trail, keeping the flow, not losing your speed, is what biking is all about. Plus its better for the bike and feels nicer too.

Of course, its just an opinion. But I think its the most common one.

Oh, but dont modify anyone's trails without asking - its a bad thing to do..

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
i love flat landings it actually takes skill to land on flat ground and not to mention its a alot of fun

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
why odnt we get the ultimat biker in here im sure he can tell you all about flat landings

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 19:41 Quote
Drops to flat are retarded...hard on the bike and the body...POINTLESS!!!!! And for you to go and mod a trail that you didnt build your lucky the builders didnt lynch ya!!!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.231726
Mobile Version of Website