Is kona stinky 08 worth getting? or is there better

PB Forum :: Kona
Is kona stinky 08 worth getting? or is there better
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
i had a 08 stinky deluxe for 3 months it rode really nice but i would go with the spec big hit as my stinky started to fall apart and the dope arm rubbed on the tyre the paint chips so easy it was shocking!! and the rear hub had play in it after one ride and the seat clamp rubbed on the inside of the sus plate and crushed the gear cable at the same time!! or wait for the 09 ones as they look so much better from the pics ive seen!!

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:01 Quote
dansalegend wrote:
i had a 08 stinky deluxe for 3 months it rode really nice but i would go with the spec big hit as my stinky started to fall apart and the dope arm rubbed on the tyre the paint chips so easy it was shocking!! and the rear hub had play in it after one ride and the seat clamp rubbed on the inside of the sus plate and crushed the gear cable at the same time!! or wait for the 09 ones as they look so much better from the pics ive seen!!

Thats all subjective stuff.
1. Theres no floating brake on the lowest stank.
2. It's paint. No big.
3. Don't all hubs get play in them?
4. You could rotate the clamp.

If these were bigger deals, Kona probably would've noticed them.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
dylanvarkonja wrote:
Don't listen to people with kona in their username; they're usualy biased.

i sold my kona cuz it sucked to get a t.o.p. but i just came back from riding the stinky in whistler

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
bighit711 wrote:
dansalegend wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

it does come with a floating brake, seen them on 08s for sale and in garbanzo bike and bean

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
konastuff06rider wrote:
bighit711 wrote:
dansalegend wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

it does come with a floating brake, seen them on 08s for sale and in garbanzo bike and bean

Every Stinky will have the mount so you can add the D.O.P.E kit but not all have it attached.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
konastuff06rider wrote:
bighit711 wrote:
dansalegend wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

I'm pretty sure you seen wrong.

Edit: I'm actually 100% sure they don't come with one from Kona, the shop might've added one.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:39 Quote
actually all those negatives on the kona listed above have been the same issues for some time!

fsr linkage is much better in any event.

doesn't have to be a specialized but they would be one of my choices. though if you like the feel of a kona you may as well go single pivot with a linkage to the shock

there are loads of options and quite a few which would ride nicer than faux bars

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:43 Quote
bighit711 wrote:
dansalegend wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

this was just my opinion mate! and no i dont think as hub should have play after 1 ride! and i did rotate the seat clamp this trapped the brake hose so i had to change the whole clamp to stop this and i no the lower stink doesnt have the dope system but is avilable as an upgrade!

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
dansalegend wrote:
bighit711 wrote:
dansalegend wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

this was just my opinion mate! and no i dont think as hub should have play after 1 ride! and i did rotate the seat clamp this trapped the brake hose so i had to change the whole clamp to stop this and i no the lower stink doesnt have the dope system but is avilable as an upgrade!

No problems, I can't really talk, cause I didn't try rotating the clamp and I can't tell how much play is in it.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
bighit711 wrote:
konastuff06rider wrote:
bighit711 wrote:

2. It's paint. No big.

I'm pretty sure you seen wrong.

Edit: I'm actually 100% sure they don't come with one from Kona, the shop might've added one.

i just got it from this

read comment.

and the ones i saw up in whistler. but yea mayb they all got added by stores

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
MooMoo2323 wrote:
i've had an '04 stinky and a '06 stinky deluxe. i cracked the chainstay on the '04 and cracked the rockerarm on the '06. neither were covered by warranty, even though they should have been. besides that, they were great for getting me into the sport b/c performance wise, they were good. some ppl talked about specialized, i've owned 4 specialized bikes in my life and they're lifetime warranty on the frames is tough to beat. big hits are ok bikes. i'd say they're perfect for ppl wanting to do extreme freeride/dh. dont forget about the enduro SX trail, they're great all around bikes, particularly for lighter freeride/aggressive trail stuff. they do the big stuff well too.

Ya I agree about the Enduro, its a good all around package.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
giant glory zero or glory dh. i ride a glory so its naturally what i'd recommend however, there are many bikes better than konas to be honest i.e orange patriot, santa cruz v10, etc.
i find that konas are built to a price rather than a spec, [which means they often have lacklustre components] and historically they fall apart...

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 15:40 Quote
ProphetMX wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:
i've had an '04 stinky and a '06 stinky deluxe. i cracked the chainstay on the '04 and cracked the rockerarm on the '06. neither were covered by warranty, even though they should have been. besides that, they were great for getting me into the sport b/c performance wise, they were good. some ppl talked about specialized, i've owned 4 specialized bikes in my life and they're lifetime warranty on the frames is tough to beat. big hits are ok bikes. i'd say they're perfect for ppl wanting to do extreme freeride/dh. dont forget about the enduro SX trail, they're great all around bikes, particularly for lighter freeride/aggressive trail stuff. they do the big stuff well too.

Ya I agree about the Enduro, its a good all around package.
i third the motion

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 15:59 Quote
to end the floating brake confusion, just surf your way over to kona's website and you'll find that the stinky deluxe and the stinky air come w/ the floating brake. the entry level stinky does not. after riding various stinkys for years now, i'd say the only time you'd really want a foating brake is if you're racing (which isnt really the stinky's purpose). otherwise, it's just something more to brake, and extra weight. i'm going to re-submit my vote for the Enduro over the stinky.

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
MooMoo2323 wrote:
to end the floating brake confusion, just surf your way over to kona's website and you'll find that the stinky deluxe and the stinky air come w/ the floating brake. the entry level stinky does not. after riding various stinkys for years now, i'd say the only time you'd really want a foating brake is if you're racing (which isnt really the stinky's purpose). otherwise, it's just something more to brake, and extra weight. i'm going to re-submit my vote for the Enduro over the stinky.

Actually depends on where you live. In Canada all stinkys including the base come with the dope kit from the factory for 2008.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012292
Mobile Version of Website