Is kona stinky 08 worth getting? or is there better

PB Forum :: Kona
Is kona stinky 08 worth getting? or is there better
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
therevfryslim wrote:
giant glory zero or glory dh. i ride a glory so its naturally what i'd recommend however, there are many bikes better than konas to be honest i.e orange patriot, santa cruz v10, etc.
i find that konas are built to a price rather than a spec, [which means they often have lacklustre components] and historically they fall apart...

i would like a glory but they are so expensive

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 8:14 Quote
craig-202 wrote:
therevfryslim wrote:
giant glory zero or glory dh. i ride a glory so its naturally what i'd recommend however, there are many bikes better than konas to be honest i.e orange patriot, santa cruz v10, etc.
i find that konas are built to a price rather than a spec, [which means they often have lacklustre components] and historically they fall apart...

i would like a glory but they are so expensive

depends on where you look. got mine half price cos the new one had just come out. just wait or look for them 2nd hand.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
knighhit wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:
to end the floating brake confusion, just surf your way over to kona's website and you'll find that the stinky deluxe and the stinky air come w/ the floating brake. the entry level stinky does not. after riding various stinkys for years now, i'd say the only time you'd really want a foating brake is if you're racing (which isnt really the stinky's purpose). otherwise, it's just something more to brake, and extra weight. i'm going to re-submit my vote for the Enduro over the stinky.

Actually depends on where you live. In Canada all stinkys including the base come with the dope kit from the factory for 2008.

No way! My bad for being an a*shole. How much are the base Stanks up there?

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
knighhit wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:
to end the floating brake confusion, just surf your way over to kona's website and you'll find that the stinky deluxe and the stinky air come w/ the floating brake. the entry level stinky does not. after riding various stinkys for years now, i'd say the only time you'd really want a foating brake is if you're racing (which isnt really the stinky's purpose). otherwise, it's just something more to brake, and extra weight. i'm going to re-submit my vote for the Enduro over the stinky.

Actually depends on where you live. In Canada all stinkys including the base come with the dope kit from the factory for 2008.

quote from mcnaughty: I work for Kona. The Stinky WILL be coming with the DOPE Floating Brake system for 2008. All the catalog text was printed before we made the decision to spec the DOPE kit on the Stinky. I hope this clears everything up for you guys. Sorry about all that confusion. The entire Stinky line will have DOPE floaters on them stock.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 15:09 Quote
konastuff06rider wrote:
knighhit wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:

quote from mcnaughty: I work for Kona. The Stinky WILL be coming with the DOPE Floating Brake system for 2008. All the catalog text was printed before we made the decision to spec the DOPE kit on the Stinky. I hope this clears everything up for you guys. Sorry about all that confusion. The entire Stinky line will have DOPE floaters on them stock.

Yeah, he's in Canada. The ones in my local shop don't.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
I sell them for $2299

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
knighhit wrote:
I sell them for $2299

$2000 down here, but they don't come with the Dope system.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 11:23 Quote
Speaking of stinky....

I'm currently in a bind... I have 1500 dollars for a new bike... so far I have found 2 options..

I can get an IBEX Zone (the one they stopped making) for 100 dollars (size 1Cool , and a build kit from wheelworld for 800 dollars. for a total of 900 dollars.

I can get a brand new 08 stinky (regular) for 1500 dollars....

Should I go with the stinky??? Is it worth that much more than the FR build kit and zone??

very comparable specs, except I would probably go with the 17" stinky (I'm 5'10 and feel 18 might be too large).

Are there any other options out there in the price range?? I'd prefer NOT the diablo... I dont like them.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:22 Quote
You can get an 08 Stinky for 1500? Go with that.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:29 Quote
demo 7 1 for 2 grand,trust me saving and waiting that little bit extra are worth it.

or check out my buy and sell.Salute

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
Demo 7's are about 2.5 times above his budget. The cheapest Demo is $4000, which is $2500 above his budget. Remember we're talking about American Dollars.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
bighit711 wrote:
Demo 7's are about 2.5 times above his budget. The cheapest Demo is $4000, which is $2500 above his budget. Remember we're talking about American Dollars.

he is actually a brit so 1500 is like 3000 grand in your money.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:48 Quote
definatly get the demo from marquis it is a million times better than a stinky

Oh, sorry. I forgot tmtrebor didn't start the thread.

bighit711 wrote:
You can get an 08 Stinky for 1500? Go with that.

yup yup, luckily the local bike shop is gonna help me out a little bit... Only thing that sucks is there isn't much freeride here (kentucky is pretty hilly, but mostly flat). And sorry about not stating american dollars, I forgot this is mostly international :-X.

and yeah, I kind of hijacked this, but it was on topic so I didnt want to clutter

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014524
Mobile Version of Website