RIP little buddy.

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
RIP little buddy.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 3:25 Quote
taken from: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24038715-661,00.html

[Quoten]A BOY who died from "horrific injuries" after crashing his BMX bike had just been chosen as an elite state soccer player, his mother says.

Alex Webb, 12, bled to death in the arms of a former teacher after suffering terrible injuries when he crashed his bike while attempting a jump at a BMX track at a Monbulk park.

His devastated mother Karen said her son had only headed to the track because soccer training was cancelled for the day.

Alex suffered the severe wounds to his upper leg and abdomen at a reserve off David Hill Rd about 5pm yesterday.

Paramedics treated him for 30 minutes but after losing a large amount of blood he died at the scene.

Paramedic Gary Robertson told 3AW radio Alex's injuries were too severe to save him.

"(There was) extensive penetrating injuries to his lower abdomen," he said. "A lot of vital organs and major blood vessels were damaged.

"Unfortunately, the injuries were too significant to be able to prevent what happened."

Distressed witnesses say that after the accident another boy at the track ran to the nearby Monbulk Primary School, where Alex studied until last year, to alert teachers of the emergency.

Alex’s grade five teacher John DeCoite rushed to the scene and cradled the former school captain as help arrived, but the boy died in his arms.

Alex’s parents also dashed to the park.

Ms Webb said her youngest son did not really like riding his bike, but had just gone out with a mate to pass the time.

“He idolised his older brother Lachlan, 14, and doted on his younger sister Grace,” his grief-striken mother said.

Ms Webb said earlier this week the family were told Alex had been named in the state squad for soccer along with his older brother Lachlan.

“They were inseparable, even sharing a room. There was two years between them. But you would think that they were twins,” she said.

“We found out last Tuesday he was on the shortlist to play in the under-14s state soccer as goalkeeper. He was going to be the next Mark Schwarzer,” she said.

Ms Webb said Alex was born in Perth and was a “loving son”.

Alex was also known to friends and family as “horizontal” despite being so good at sport, because he was “always lying about”, family members said.

Alex’s father Leo today put on a brave front in the face of yesterday’s tragedy.

“We’ve lost our gem, but we still have two diamonds and a mother pearl,” he said.

Alex was a first-year student at Monbulk College, where students are now receiving counselling to help them cope with the loss.

An ambulance spokesman said that within an hour of the incident that claimed Alex's life, paramedics were called to three more accidents involving cyclists around Melbourne.

Anthony Dowsley

July 18, 2008 01:10pm[/Quoten]

our thoughts go out to this little fellas family and friends. May he ride like the wind. RIP Alex.

sp33d.

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 3:41 Quote
my condolences to the family, that is really sad.

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 3:55 Quote
This is really sad Frown

RIP..

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
its always sad to see someone in the riding community go. but hes in a better place now and will be riding endless trails, my heart gos out to all of his family and friends.

Ride forever

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
R.I.P
my condolences to everyone around him....
i wish i could do more....

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 19:28 Quote
"when i die don't cry for me, get a bike and ride for me"

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
RIP man you are in a better place now

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013644
Mobile Version of Website