24" or 26" NS suburban frame

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" or 26" NS suburban frame
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
savagepaul wrote:
Hey was wondering what the benifits of both the different types can you name some pluses and negatives about the frames? thanx

It depends only on your height. If you are shorter than 5'10" go for the 24", else go for th 26". I'm 5'7" and I got an Holy wich has same geometry of the Suburban 24", it's perfect, the 26" has a pretty long top tube, mind to it.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
you shouldnt base wheel size on youre height. the 24 is a 21.75 which is a good size for most, im 5 11 and love it. if youre over 6ft by a fair bit and you're quite lanky you might want somthing with a 22" or more

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
ferraridude348 wrote:
I currently have a 26" xc bike so wheels dnt really matter for me so i have an unbiased view. I am going to buy an ns suburban when i get the money, after a lot of thinking i decided to go 26".
I felt they were better as you can get lighter but stronger parts like rims for instance you can get the mavic 721 or 729 or sun ringle equalizer 31 and they are all sub 600g but still wide unlike 28mm pimplites. Also there are many more tyres to choose from which are folding bead, i know you can get 24" folding but they're not as common. Also with 26 you can get more speed which means more momentum and height and they dont go into little ruts making them faster still.

However for 24" they are about the same weight but they work out cheaper as with 26" parts which are really light they are more expensive. So for 24" you can get standard products for a reasonable price. They also accelerate much faster and they are easier to jump high.

Many of my friends ride 24" and ive tried them and compared them to 26" dj bikes and i generally like the feel of bigger bikes as i ride xc at the moment. I also find 24" to twitchy and not as stable but this could be because im not used to them.

I think you should get 26" however 24 is still a good choice as i am told the suburban has good geo either way! ENJOY

not sure about your theories on stronger parts lol
you can get a 24" pimplite or mtx or whatever which will be stronger than the 26" equivilant. even if the 26" rim is lighter its gonna have a higher rotational weight due to centrefugal force, so you wont get any benefits.
you can get 24" mac 2s and schwalbe table tops and a massive variety or 24" tyres. itll be lighter again and less rotational weight.

now if youre buying a suburban then youre going to be using it for skate parks, street and riding trails, you wont need any better rolling smoothness, for all these things a 20" is fine and you shouldnt be riding rutty bumpy jumps anyway

the benefits of 24" is obvious, gennerally also smaller wheels actully mean you can boost and pump jumps easier

if youre using youre bike for pure skate park youd be having a laugh if you chose the 26". big wheels and ramps are a no no, even 24" wheels are pretty lame for parks.
for street 24" makes more sense, street is smoooth.
for trails 24" makes riding much easier too

however if you are used to riding alot of xc or whatever and want a more versatile bike maybe 26 is the way to go, but versatility is always a compramise
true

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 13:42 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
you shouldnt base wheel size on youre height. the 24 is a 21.75 which is a good size for most, im 5 11 and love it. if youre over 6ft by a fair bit and you're quite lanky you might want somthing with a 22" or more

Take a look at the Suburban geometry and you'll see what I mean! Same seat tube lenght but 25mm (one full inch) of difference on the top tube, which defines the way you feel the bike. This is not a tread on 24" or 26" wheel but on Suburban 24" or Suburban 26". If you're a tall rider you may go for a Suburban 26" and put a pair of 24" wheels on it; do you see what I mean, right now?

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
williampieroway wrote:
ilikemybike011 wrote:
williampieroway wrote:

actually 26" wheels spin faster

pretty he meant like 3 as in they're smaller and less centrifugal force

well if he ment spin faster then yeah but 26 rolls faster

i meant to say they r faster acceleration

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
MartinMassel wrote:
24" isnt for mtb. if you want tiny wheels then go buy a bmx

f*cking idiots

ns bikes=mountain bikes=ns sub 26 and 24

twat

ns bikes makes street/dj frames.... they arent a mountain bike company.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 17:24 Quote
MartinMassel wrote:
Rolleyes

24" and 20" are very different feeling. If he wanted a BMX he'd get one. He's choosing between 24 and 26 so obviously he's interested in those two sizes and not 20".

Stop worrying about what a "real MTB" wheel size is or "real BMX" is. No one cares, they're just bikes. Ride what you feel comfortable with and don't talk shit on other people because of what they feel comfortable on.

So what, you don't like 24" wheels. Lots of other people do.

In conclusion this thread and lots of other threads show the pros and cons of each wheel size. Now go ride each size and choose what you want and ignore all these people.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
warrior1 wrote:
MartinMassel wrote:
Rolleyes

24" and 20" are very different feeling. If he wanted a BMX he'd get one. He's choosing between 24 and 26 so obviously he's interested in those two sizes and not 20".

Stop worrying about what a "real MTB" wheel size is or "real BMX" is. No one cares, they're just bikes. Ride what you feel comfortable with and don't talk shit on other people because of what they feel comfortable on.

So what, you don't like 24" wheels. Lots of other people do.

In conclusion this thread and lots of other threads show the pros and cons of each wheel size. Now go ride each size and choose what you want and ignore all these people.
well putBeer

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 at 3:33 Quote
nanianorcored wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:

Take a look at the Suburban geometry and you'll see what I mean! Same seat tube lenght but 25mm (one full inch) of difference on the top tube, which defines the way you feel the bike. This is not a tread on 24" or 26" wheel but on Suburban 24" or Suburban 26". If you're a tall rider you may go for a Suburban 26" and put a pair of 24" wheels on it; do you see what I mean, right now?

yeah i know what you mean. but youd have to settle for a lower bb and slightly longer chainstays. thats why itd probably be better to look for a longer tt 24" frame if you were very tall

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
wow i was gone for a week and so many new comments lol, i think if i do go for the suburban im getting 24's because the wheels are harder to bend cause on my bike trip i had to true my wheels 5 times and i was landing smooth i have pretty bad wheels but still i want strong wheels that wont have problems all the time plus i like to spin fastlol Big Grin

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
so would putting 24" wheels on the 26" frame mess up the geometry..

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
Hey i got the ns sub 07 which they made only one side for 26 or 24(i beleive) and now i got 26s on it. my rear wheel is kinda F*CKed up so if i buy a 24 wheel and put it on back and leave my 26 infroont would is be to wierd or would it sille ride good? my suspension is dj2 100mm.. (and i would only keep my 26 in the front for a month or so till i decide to find money and get another 24)

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 17:23 Quote
i would not ride a 24/26 on a sub. the bike would probably manual very well but you would effectively be running a 120-130mm fork when the sub. is designed with 80-100mm in mind. i'd worry you'd run the risk of snapping your headtube and the bike would be a bit more sluggish overall.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 4:01 Quote
okok so id be better off buyin 2 24s right away

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 4:54 Quote
why dont you buy the 24 frame and stick some 26's in it ....then if you dont like it get 24s..........just a thought

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017402
Mobile Version of Website