Whats Going on With My Cranks Here

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Whats Going on With My Cranks Here
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:21 Quote
Okay bassically when i move my bike forward when my feet aren't on in or like take my feet off the pedals when im riding my cranks spin like im pedaling

see this is very bad for no footers and such cause i cant put my feet back on in the right place
why is it doing this and is there any way to fix it
it's really frusterating meMadder

heres a vid hope you guys can help
Views: 853    Faves: 1    Comments: 17

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:23 Quote
clean and greese your freewheel. There may be something in there that is causing your cranks to keep spinning.

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:24 Quote
Bottom bracket

get a new one or get a qualified mechanic to service yours and inspect the entire crankset

this happenned to my friend and basically whats wrong isd that ur chain is way too tight...this stops the hub from racheting.

From the video it looks like you tried to make the chain tight for your SS but since you have vertyical drop outs you need to add a couple links and get a chain tensioner for the rear( like a derraler but just adds tension to the chain)

hope that helps

yeah thats what i thought to but for some reason it just seems like somethings going on in the chain guide or the BB

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
pimpsmack wrote:
Bottom bracket

get a new one or get a qualified mechanic to service yours and inspect the entire crankset

how does the bottom braket effect the freewheel/hub???

plus this happenned to my friend trying to SS his bike with out a tensioner...99.9% sure thats what this is

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
hockeynut wrote:
pimpsmack wrote:
Bottom bracket

on my shitty speakers it sounds like the BB

LOL

i just noticed your cranks were spinning while moving forward

yes its the freewheel

it is obviously not engaging at all

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:26 Quote
hockeynut wrote:
this happenned to my friend and basically whats wrong isd that ur chain is way too tight...this stops the hub from racheting.

From the video it looks like you tried to make the chain tight for your SS but since you have vertyical drop outs you need to add a couple links and get a chain tensioner for the rear( like a derraler but just adds tension to the chain)

hope that helps
i dont have verticle drop outs though

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:26 Quote
pimpsmack wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
pimpsmack wrote:
Bottom bracket

on my shitty speakers it sounds like the BB

look ....when he pushs the bike forward the crank spins with the chain ( pedalling with out him opedalling)

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:27 Quote
yeah now im almost certain its the BB cause the sounds it makes when i pedal and it just feels like its going on up there

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
toasty88 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:

hope that helps
i dont have verticle drop outs though

I dont mean vertical what I meant is that it isnt adjustable like a horizontal drop out on some higher end DJ/street frames. It has on place for the rear wheel....hope u get what I mean

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
it cant be ur bb cause there is no force on it when you take your feet off ur pedals therefore it will not move unless acted on by an outside force. Get a chain tensioner and add a few links to your chain and that should do it.

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
toasty88 wrote:
yeah now im almost certain its the BB cause the sounds it makes when i pedal and it just feels like its going on up there

try shortening the chain first and see if the noise stops....the BB might be making the noise but it isnt causing the bike to pedal itself

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
superbarnes65 wrote:
it cant be ur bb cause there is no force on it when you take your feet off ur pedals therefore it will not move unless acted on by an outside force. Get a chain tensioner and add a few links to your chain and that should do it.

thank you hahaha thats what Ive been tryign to tell him all along

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010105
Mobile Version of Website