How Do You Build A Good Set Of Dj's

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How Do You Build A Good Set Of Dj's
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
me on my new kona

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 14:18 Quote
Do you need to water ramps if your repairing them?, as we have some table tops which have been damaged quite badly with big holes in, would i need water over it? or just fill with dirt and it will be fine?

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
water isn't a neccessity by any means. A bit of graft with a spade and everything'll be reet!

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
haha Confused

I wouldn't put water top of my list! besides It'll probably rain sometime anyway. AS long as the dirt isn't as dry as flour then everythings good Smile

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
true that what i meann

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 at 0:42 Quote
Josh-KonaScrap wrote:
Do you need to water ramps if your repairing them?, as we have some table tops which have been damaged quite badly with big holes in, would i need water over it? or just fill with dirt and it will be fine?

If the jumps are quite dry then yes you water them before you repair them otherwise the new dirt wont stick to the old stuff.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
i found this on pb and it really helps me out....hope u like it

For dirt jumping it's less personal preference toolswise, but you can do all the work with a simple spade, so all other tools just make life easier. In priority order:

Long handle spade, used for general digging, and shaping if you don't have a special flat head D-handle spade. The long handle makes life easier for your back, and a pointed tip makes initally getting into any tough ground easier.
Short D-handle spade, with a flat square head, used mostly for shaping, but can also be used for general spadework.
Wheelbarrow, used if you're getting your mud not from the pits inbetween the jumps.
Rake, can be used to shape lips, though not everyone likes them over the standard spade.
Mattock (a.k.a. 'pick'), used to get through the initial layer of very tough ground (not essential).
Broom, used to sweet dusty or leavy hardpacked trails (not essential).
Bucket or watering can, to water jumps if you have a lake or river nearby.

That's about it, remeber you can use what you want, or any additional tools if need be.

5.3 Starting Out

Get some insirpation by scanning the web for killer sweet dirt jumps. Or just check out these sweet pics I found.

Now you have some motivation, round up your mates (threaten them if need be with beatings and stuff) so you have someone to help dig, and it'll also be quicker that way. Also, scope out the spot you'll be building at prior to this. Round up ya tools and your bikes and head off.

Once you're there, do intial clearing everywhere in planned jumps vacinity (see 2.2), then, once you visualised where you be building the jumps, do secondary clearing anywhere you'll be digging into the ground.

5.4 Building the basic shape

First of all you need to understand the shape of a dirt jump and the connecting pits. To do this, analyse pictures of some quality jumps to get the idea. Then, start off my digging up the dirt from infront of the first lip, to make the first pit, and pile up the dirt where the lip will be. Then, do the same for the landing ramp, starting the pit that'll connect the first and second jump. Then, skip on the the shaping stage, or you can get the basic shape of the rest of the jumps at this stage too. You can for example work with ya mates building jumps simultainously. If you need more dirt to get the lips high or wider, widen the pit, or use the dirt from the drainage (5.6) holes. Don't just keep on digging down otherwise the trannies will be too abrupt. If you dig deeper, you'd have to make the gap between the jumps bigger.

5.5 Shaping

Once the dirt is in the general shape of the jump, you'll need to 'whack it in', compress it. Ideally you should wet the jumps at this stage, but you can always wet them later and recompress, but it's best the wet before you whack it in. Now, use your rake, or spade to spread the dirt around so its all smooth and looks like a jump. To whack it in, hit it with a spade as hard as you can, and keep whacking until its all smooth and even. Make sure to whack in the sides and back too otherwise it'll fall apart.

I have heard of another way to whack them in, which is to put carpet over the dirt then hit to carpet, but my way works too, just try both and see which you like.

Remeber, shapin glips in an art, so get as much practise and so can, and ride a lot so you know what the 'perfect' lip should be like. If in doubt, do it, then get an experienced jumping to tell you where you went right and/or wrong.

Also, very important tip here, if the jumps are wet (they probably will be after ya finished building them cause you wet them), do not ride them, you'll leave big ruts it them. Leave for a couple of days (or until next weekend), so they go real hard. Don't be impatient, you just wreck them (I know it's hard to wait once ya finally finished but be patient).

5.6 Drainage

Now, drainage is something you should consider because you even start digging, there are a few different ways to do this, so have at look at these various examples to see what ya options are.

It doesn't take rocket science to build them, water goes downhill, use that nice easy to remeber fact and you'll be fine. Also, try not to buil din the bottom of a water basin otherwise you get more to deal with that to do be dealing with.

5.7 Maintenance

Maintenance is one of, if the most important part of building the jumps, without it, the jumps will deterioate and fall apart, and all that effort has gone to waste.

You start off by getting feedback from ya mates and other riders to see if they like the general shape and flow. If not, fix that first be rebuilding or reshaping anything if necessary. This is often overlooked unfortunately, and some jumps are only then ridden by a few beause they are soo hard, or too sketchy. So, get feedback to make sure ya jumps are good for everyone.

Then, fix up any damaged stuff now. Don't just fix, fix the problem not the result of the problem, but if it is just someone being a dick or an accident just repair.

Then, sort out any other problems such as cracked lips, ruts, puddles, general crap all over jumps such as leaves and stuff, by using your common sense. Also, clean up any litter as it wrecks the general atomsphere and get the jumps destroyed.

5.8 Get Creative

Remeber, if at all possible, get creative and don't just build a basic row of jumps, mix it up, throw in berms, hips, step-ups, step-downs, whoops, etc.. Be creative and come up with the craziest things around.

Here's a few pics to get you inspired.

5.9 General Tips

Build as much as you can, start small and get bigger, good jumps take experience to build right.
Don't drop litter.
If it rains, get out and dig, don't be a pussy.
Take you time, Rome wasn't build in a day, neither was woburn or wisley.
Remeber to maintain the jumps.
Build a runout, and don't forget to leave room for it when planning it.
Build the jumps nice and wide, nothing's worse than skinny trannies.
Make tabled landing lips, basically, it means you have a bit of a saveguard if you going too slow because you screwed up the pump for example.
Know your soils! Read 6.1 for a guide to mud.
Round up any many mates as possible, the more mates, the quicker the jumps come up.
Put carpet on the landing lips, this keeps the mud together, especially you tryting spinny tricks or case a lot.
A VERY IMPORTANT TIP, don't bring your girlfriend along to help dig, she'll just dump your ass, bring her riding, but NOT digging.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
i haven't seen any one mention what kinda of dirt/soil should be used. Which work the best and which to stay away from

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
gibson243 wrote:
im still trying to get a fullout bike park made in toronto. havent heard from the city in like a mont h so i dont know if theyve dropped it or what.Madder
yeah!!!!!!!!
if you need me to sing a petition id be happy to Razz
wait what style of riding are you?

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
evan247 wrote:
gibson243 wrote:
im still trying to get a fullout bike park made in toronto. havent heard from the city in like a mont h so i dont know if theyve dropped it or what.Madder
yeah!!!!!!!!
if you need me to sing a petition id be happy to Razz
wait what style of riding are you?
dirtjump freeride and park

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 12:27 Quote
ridedob wrote:
i haven't seen any one mention what kinda of dirt/soil should be used. Which work the best and which to stay away from

You use what you have man. I've used everything from gravel mix to sod.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2012 at 22:10 Quote
I personally found that if you build beside a big "berm" of dirt then you can half dig the jumps into the side of it and use that dirt for the other half.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013490
Mobile Version of Website