Whipping

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:13 Quote
Hey,

Just wanted to know how you guys do a whip?

Ive been watching loads of video's and it seems like the pro's kinda do a big turn with their legs and hips, but they also do something with the bars i cant quite place....

The only reason i ask is that once ive got whips dialled i can start hipping Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:19 Quote
well i do whips and opposite whips and i do them both totaly different
for a normal whip i keep the bars facing forwardand kind of pull them towards my left hip while trying to almost make my left shoulder touch my right hip.

and for opposite whips i turn the bar first and turn my body to the left but this way is a bit sketchier to land. you should try all different ways on a jump with a soft landing so it doesnt weck your wheel Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:20 Quote
Ok cheers Haggis.

At the moment i do move the bars aswell but this doesnt seem to get them very horizontal at all. I think i need a bit more hip movement.

I also had a idea that if i was to ride a hip, i would naturally turn my body to correctly land the bike, and this will help me get the correct whipping technique...

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:31 Quote
theres a difference really. a whip is where you turn your bars and swing your bike round with your hips, and for moto style try and get your bars backwards.
i dont really do these.
i do kickouts, where you keep your bars straight and kick your bike out, front foot on the forward side, 90 degrees sideways.

hipping and whipping are different, when you hip you turn by directing your bars towards a landing. its not the same technique as just whipping your bike. but its just as piss really

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 at 12:34 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
theres a difference really. a whip is where you turn your bars and swing your bike round with your hips, and for moto style try and get your bars backwards.
i dont really do these.
i do kickouts, where you keep your bars straight and kick your bike out, front foot on the forward side, 90 degrees sideways...

ok so i moto whip opposite and kickout normal ... and as he said its a different technique between hipping and whipping

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 22:55 Quote
kickouts are not whips!
proper mx moto whips should be carved on the lip and you roll the bike over
photo
https://ep5.pinkbike.org/photo/1478/pbpic1478340.jpg

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
elbry wrote:
kickouts are not whips!
proper mx moto whips should be carved on the lip and you roll the bike over
photo
https://ep5.pinkbike.org/photo/1478/pbpic1478340.jpg

Erm if the back end moves out then it is a whip.
Right?

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
[Quote="DanPells"]Ok cheers Haggis.

At the moment i do move the bars aswell but this doesnt seem to get them very horizontal at all. I think i need a bit more hip movement.

I also had a idea that if i was to ride a hip, i would naturally turn my body to correctly land the bike, and this will help me get the correct whipping technique...[/Quote\
i usually find it alot easier to do off of a hip rather than straight out off a double or something

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
[Quoten]Erm if the back end moves out then it is a whip.
Right? [/Quoten]no thats just a kickout and not a moto whip

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
whip it real hard
whip it, whip it, real hard

-Rick Ross, "Hustlin'"

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
elbry wrote:
[Quoten]Erm if the back end moves out then it is a whip.
Right? [/Quoten]no thats just a kickout and not a moto whip

So it is still a whip. Just not a moto whip. A moto whip is when the bars turn firstSmile

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
wuff, sum argument about whts a whipJail

Whippage FTW

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:10 Quote
Whip lol, just had to do it

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
i feel there's only so far you can move the bike by trying to use your legs. to whip i initiate the movement by cranking the bars sideways once i'm in the air, maybe leaning just before the lip to help start it off. get into the air and whack your bars sideways, and you will be whipping. you use your legs to bring it back for a landing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010811
Mobile Version of Website