A little something I cooked up over the weekend...

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
A little something I cooked up over the weekend...
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
that things sick man!

props for a welder making a bike! i want to do the same thing, just gotta get some shop space.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:20 Quote
as soon as i saw this i was going to offer buying it because it looked so awesome but then i kept reading and saw the part where you talked about the price Razz yikes! i guess that will a be another bike i will admire through the internet! great build though, you've got some skills to be proud of there.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
jcc1015 wrote:
How does it ride? I know it looks awesome.

I feel that it rides pretty good. I very much like that the bike fits me well, and the suspension seems to do its job to an extent that I am satisfied with it. I can ride certain trails faster than I do on my RM Slayer, and I feel I have an extra layer of confidence that I don't have while riding some of my other bikes. It definitely seems to rail mor than my other bikes do as well. It feels different than my aluminum bikes do, and it has a pleasant "sound" to it while riding that I don't feel is present in my other rides (it's not loud - it's almost more of a vibrational feel).

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
jpv2008 wrote:
as soon as i saw this i was going to offer buying it because it looked so awesome but then i kept reading and saw the part where you talked about the price Razz yikes! i guess that will a be another bike i will admire through the internet! great build though, you've got some skills to be proud of there.

The "price" that I spent building this though was mostly in tooling costs (aside from components). That stuff is now paid for so future builds will be a lot less expensive for me - material costs and my own labor are really all that I'll have to spend money on at this point (with a few exceptions).

I'm certainly not trying to market something like this at this point - if any one really wanted to spend some money on a custom ride though, I would consider it. Again, I'm really doing this for myself though, so I don't want to give the impression that I have some sort of company or anything.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
BungedUP wrote:
jpv2008 wrote:

The "price" that I spent building this though was mostly in tooling costs (aside from components). That stuff is now paid for so future builds will be a lot less expensive for me - material costs and my own labor are really all that I'll have to soend money on at this point (with a few exceptions).

I'm certainly not trying to market something like this at this point - if any one really wanted to spend some money on a custom ride though, I would consider it. Again, I'm really doing this for myself though, so I don't want to give the impression that I have some sort of company or anything.

oh ok i see that's cool but to be honest i think you should definelty try to market it if you don't mind the work, you could make lot's of money of it. but anyways that's a sweet bike and enjoy riding itBeer

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
Hey man I really like the bike Looks real clean and tidy. How much abuse have you put it through so far?

I know with the frames I designed and built I have been beating the living snot out of them whenever I can to try and break them but they just wont give in. The DH rig has gone off 20+ foot drops and tons of jumps with no visible cracks yet, but i do keep looking after every ride. Props anyways man and you should try and make something more complex and unique in your suspension design.

Whatd you use for your homemade jig by the way? I got a piece of 3'X 4' 1/2 inch 6061 Al for the back plate and machined standoffs and mini vices to hold everything where it should be.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
what is it made out of?

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
sirknumskullgt wrote:
Hey man I really like the bike Looks real clean and tidy. How much abuse have you put it through so far?

I know with the frames I designed and built I have been beating the living snot out of them whenever I can to try and break them but they just wont give in. The DH rig has gone off 20+ foot drops and tons of jumps with no visible cracks yet, but i do keep looking after every ride. Props anyways man and you should try and make something more complex and unique in your suspension design.

Whatd you use for your homemade jig by the way? I got a piece of 3'X 4' 1/2 inch 6061 Al for the back plate and machined standoffs and mini vices to hold everything where it should be.

I'm riding it on my local DH trails, and I'll be taking it to Whistler at the end of the week. I'm not doing any huge drops on it, as I don't do huge drops off of anything, but some 4'+ to flat pavement stair drops seem not to bother it. I've been checking my welds pretty regularly, but I'm not very concerned about them as I know they are sound. I'm more concerned about the tubing staying in proper alignment, and when I make another one, I'll probably tear this one down and throw it on the alignment table and see where everything is.

I built a couple of different jigs for frame welding- One for the swingarm, and one for the main frame. The main frame jig is big enough that I think I could build a cargo bike, and possibly a tandem, but the photo below just shows the business end of it. I'm fabricating a new base for it, and I need to add on a few more fixtures for full versatility. I will probably make gated headtube and seattube/bb fixtures at some point, as the ones now are not gated (though work just fine anyway).

I machined the swingarm jig out of various pieces of P&E plate, cold rolled steel, and aluminum. It is fully adjustable with centerline indicator marks on the sliding aluminum blocks, and I can swap different spacers for 130, 135, 150, and whatever else size hub one wants to put in, as well as front pivot spacing. The jig is pretty tight, in terms of tolerances - I spent a lot of time machining the two long slots in the plate for the jig. Everything slides nice with very little play.

As far as complexity goes, I really only want to make something more complex if it does something functionally much better. I think that there is a lot of "busy" looking frames nowadays that take the long approach (or unnecessary) in addressing problems. I'll probably talk myself into playing with more complex things in the future though anyway. Sigh. But really, simplicity often satisfies me the most (not always but...), especially when it works.

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 17:20 Quote
A+ work man thats awesome. I really dig your jigs. I need to start using the extruded aluminum, IPS whatever you wanna call it and make it more adjustable like yours.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
since your such an amazingcraftsmen have you considered a carbon fender for the rear?

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 17:59 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:
since your such an amazingcraftsmen have you considered a carbon fender for the rear?

Pfffff - I'm really not that amazing, but thanks anyways!

I remember seeing a V-10 at a demo day awhile back that had a fender that bolted on, and that has stuck with me for awhile. I think an integrated fender of some sort would be cool - I had thought about putting in some bosses so I could just use the stock Marzocchi 66 or 888 fender.

I have made some wooden fenders for one of my commuter bikes, (and the forms for bending/gluing them), and they are surprisingly strong and light. It's a natural carbon fiber in a way really, but certainly not as versatile as CF is. I may look into that someday, but not today. You have me thinking about it again though...

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
ah, good ol parframe. sooo many uses.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 17:14 Quote
skid16 wrote:
ah, good ol parframe. sooo many uses.

It is actually from a company called 80/20, but parframe looks to be pretty similar.

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 17:18 Quote
BungedUP wrote:
norcorider540 wrote:

Pfffff - I'm really not that amazing, but thanks anyways!

I remember seeing a V-10 at a demo day awhile back that had a fender that bolted on, and that has stuck with me for awhile. I think an integrated fender of some sort would be cool - I had thought about putting in some bosses so I could just use the stock Marzocchi 66 or 888 fender.

I have made some wooden fenders for one of my commuter bikes, (and the forms for bending/gluing them), and they are surprisingly strong and light. It's a natural carbon fiber in a way really, but certainly not as versatile as CF is. I may look into that someday, but not today. You have me thinking about it again though...

Its really not hard at all. Maybe 2 hours of work yielded me this
photo

I WISH I had your jig equipment, then Id never leave my heat treating shop!

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
[\Quote]I WISH I had your jig equipment, then Id never leave my heat treating shop![/Quote]

Ha! Well, if you really want something like that, it could be made for you...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024048
Mobile Version of Website