The BMX Tech and Trick Tips Thread (Share Your Useful Tips Here)

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The BMX Tech and Trick Tips Thread (Share Your Useful Tips Here)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
This thread is for sharing useful tips on how to do certain tricks and useful ways of maintaining/fixing your bike. Post any tips you have and ask any questions too.

I'll start off. If you are having troubles keeping your hubs clean you can wrap a small piece of shoelace around them. As you ride the shoelace wipes off all unwanted dirt and your hubs will stay looking brand new. Eventually you will need to put new shoelaces on your hubs when they get covered in dirt.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
When adjusting brake pads:

Loosen the pad, squeeze the brakes handle, adjust where you want the pad and tighten. This will keep your pad in place while tightening.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
Since your talking about brakes.... Keep your brake lever fairly loose on your bars. just so that it stays in place, but will rotate when you fall instead of braking.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
Toodlez wrote:
Since your talking about brakes.... Keep your brake lever fairly loose on your bars. just so that it stays in place, but will rotate when you fall instead of braking.

or you could wrap your bars in teflon tape were your lever goes that way you can tighten your lever perch so it will only move when you crash and not when you hit it and stuff.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
bird2920 wrote:
When adjusting brake pads:

Loosen the pad, squeeze the brakes handle, adjust where you want the pad and tighten. This will keep your pad in place while tightening.

That's a really good idea. I've never thought of that.

Here's my bit of info.

To get your back wheel centered and your chain tight:
Flip your bike onto the seat and bars and loosen your bolts. Take a wrench or something similar and stick it between your tire and frame. Pull the wrench back onto the frame and push the tire outward. Hold it there and tighten your bolts. Works for me almost every time.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 20:53 Quote
smallkinehawaiian wrote:
Toodlez wrote:

or you could wrap your bars in teflon tape were your lever goes that way you can tighten your lever perch so it will only move when you crash and not when you hit it and stuff.

His way is doing the same thing as yours, just without the teflon tape.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
smallkinehawaiian wrote:
Toodlez wrote:

yup i know. but when you put teflon you can tighten it more so it wont move when you don't want it to but it will when you crash.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
smallkinehawaiian wrote:
lettusdude wrote:
smallkinehawaiian wrote:

yup i know. but when you put teflon you can tighten it more so it wont move when you don't want it to but it will when you crash.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 1:13 Quote
yup no problem. if you wipe your bars with paint thinner before you put your grips on they will stay on a lot better. just wipe them until the paint gets sticky and use compressed air to put your grips on and they will stay put very well. you don't even have to use paint thinner you just need to make sure your grips are really clean.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 7:41 Quote
Tight Spots in Chains:

Rotate crank until chain hits tight spot.

Slightly loosen the Sprocket Bolt.

Gently tap your sprocket till the chain is even tension all the way around.

Don't forget to re-tighten the Sprocket Bolt.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 9:48 Quote
Does any one have any tips on doing a footjam tailwhip as i can get the bike right round but cant get back onEvil
thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
bigquotesDoes any one have any tips on doing a footjam tailwhip as i can get the bike right round but cant get back onthanks in advance

Keep your body over your bars and give her a good kick...

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:23 Quote
Level a tire in the rim without tire levelers:

Flip your bike over onto its seat.

Pump up or let out air to 50% capacity. (depending on if your tire is full or empty)

Once at 50% capacity, grab the tire and pull away from the rim firmly, moving around the rim until the tire bead is resting on the rim correctly. (if you have spidey senses you will feel the tire "pop" into place slightly)

To finish air up your tire to your riding pressure.

Repeat process if needed.

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
After you true or lace a wheel hold the wheel sideways so half of it is on a table or counter(so 1/2 the rim is on the counter but the hub isnt) and press down on the opposite side of the rim and the hub. this pops the spokes into place better.

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 16:42 Quote
Having troubles with 180 flat's. I can usually spin the bike the whole 180, but as soon as i land i stop and cant rollback. i tried ghoing a bit faster but it seems harder to spin.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009194
Mobile Version of Website